Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was digging around the forum but I couldn't find any solid information regarding modification of the exhaust for a 1984 VT500C. What I was looking for was just a little throatier sound without having to rejet or lose power. Since I didn't find much in the way of pictures here, I thought I'd share.

I started by drilling a 1/4" hole directly in the center of the metal baffle plate that covers each exhaust. I didn't notice much difference, so I drilled a progressively larger hole, testing the sound and taking it for a quick spin each time to make sure there wasn't excessive popping or loss of power. I finally finished at 1/2", and I have to say, the sound is immensely improved. It's got a much lower, deeper note, and there is no power loss or popping.

This is a fairly simple mod to do if you have a high speed drill and some metal boring bits, so I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a little deeper, throatier sound out of their VT500C. It beats replacing what has become a pretty rare set of pipes on the VT500.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm new to motorcycles, but I've been into classic cars for a few years. I own a six cylinder '65 Mustang that has some performance mods, which include a header and dual exhaust. The exhaust sounds very nice. It doesn't sound like an 8cyl car, but it has a unique sound.

The sound of the exhaust has a lot to do with the overall personality of the vehicle, and as the owner, you want it to sound perfect.

Are there any good links for motorcycle exhaust upgrades? It seems that the exhaust systems are less forgiving when compared to cars. I have always wanted to have one pipe on each side (kind of like a car ;)).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey nice work! I just stole some sportster exhausts off CG but I have been reluctant to put them on cause I dont feel like rejetting atm (if its necessary). can you upload a clip of the new sound it produces? i dont want to drill a hole in my baffles to find i dont like it

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey nice work! I just stole some sportster exhausts off CG but I have been reluctant to put them on cause I dont feel like rejetting atm (if its necessary). can you upload a clip of the new sound it produces? i dont want to drill a hole in my baffles to find i dont like it
Don't drill em out. I bought some sportster exhausts too (not here yet..)
I just need to buy some chrome clamps & a section of chrome pipe to offset them. I'll post a pic when done. Ask me then how it went, I'll be the guinea pig :mrgreen:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm new to motorcycles, but I've been into classic cars for a few years. I own a six cylinder '65 Mustang that has some performance mods, which include a header and dual exhaust. The exhaust sounds very nice. It doesn't sound like an 8cyl car, but it has a unique sound.

The sound of the exhaust has a lot to do with the overall personality of the vehicle, and as the owner, you want it to sound perfect.

Are there any good links for motorcycle exhaust upgrades? It seems that the exhaust systems are less forgiving when compared to cars. I have always wanted to have one pipe on each side (kind of like a car ;)).
Nice, I used to have a '65 with the V8 289. I miss it like a lost family member.

Regarding bike exhaust mods, from what I've been able to find, mods really are specific to the bike. There are a load of YouTube videos out there showing before and afters. Try doing a search there for your bike model. If it's a pretty common bike, you should get some hits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.