Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So today i took my 600 to work and as i was on the freeway going maybe about 65-70 mph, i went to speed up to switch lanes and the bike just did nothing. I let off the throttle and reapplied it and it kicked in and went. A couple miles down the road it did it again. I haven't done any mods that would make me have to rejet or tune my carbs, but the guy i bought it from wasnt running a fuel filter and i still haven't installed the one i bought. i don't know if that has anything to do with it. The guy said he just got done rejetting and tuning the carb before i picked it up, don't know how true that is but... On the street no hesitation at all and is completely fine. Any suggestions as to what to check? im a rookie and new to this mechanic side of bikes so if you can please dumb things down a bit haha Thank you!

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
125 Posts
Hey everyone! So today i took my 600 to work and as i was on the freeway going maybe about 65-70 mph, i went to speed up to switch lanes and the bike just did nothing. I let off the throttle and reapplied it and it kicked in and went. A couple miles down the road it did it again. I haven't done any mods that would make me have to rejet or tune my carbs, but the guy i bought it from wasnt running a fuel filter and i still haven't installed the one i bought. i don't know if that has anything to do with it. The guy said he just got done rejetting and tuning the carb before i picked it up, don't know how true that is but... On the street no hesitation at all and is completely fine. Any suggestions as to what to check? im a rookie and new to this mechanic side of bikes so if you can please dumb things down a bit haha Thank you!
Did you check your fuel cap? 600 has tank vent in the cap and what you are explaining fits a vent blockage restricting enough fuel flow for higher speed.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm okay. The guy i bought the bike from has a cap on it that's not meant for a fuel cap so i doesnt have a vent. i will order a new one ive been planning on it anyway haha. Thank you ! also one more thing maybe youll know. My bike is overheating but im pretty sure my cooling system is working fine i jut replaced thermostat and housing, all new hoses, ECT sensor and thermal switch and the bike is still over heating. you think it could be cause from running lean? it over heats at about 70 mph around 10 miles drop speed to about 55 mph and the light goes off, until i throttle it again

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
The radiator may be partially plugged or the system is not totally full.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know on a car if there's a blockage in the cooling system you can feel the hoses if one is hot and the other is cold there's a blockage. does the same apply to a bike? can i feel around the hoses and check for different temps? or is that not a thing on bikes?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
Yes if the thermostat is opening and the radiator is flowing well, the top hose will be very hot and the lower hose pretty hot to the touch also.
If you suspect the radiator flow, you can run it hot, and feel up and down and across the radiator fins to see it there no cold spots.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i will check that. i have felt the hoses and they are all hot to the touch. same as my overflow the coolant inside is also hot

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!
I tuned my carbs a half turn on both sides; seemed to be running better at idle and at lower speeds. took it on a test ride on the freeway pushing it hard at like 85 mph to 1: get it to overheat and 2: get it to sputter, no overheating(was about 75 degrees out) but sputtering seemed worse than before. the sputtering happened about 6 or 7 miles into the ride and lasted longer than before... Could this be a clogged jet should i just pull the carb and check/clean it anyways? New fuel lines, new 42 & 130 jets, and install a fuel filter etc? im gonna pick up a fuel filter today because i don't know why the previous owner didn't have one. dummy Or could this be something electrical? i see some threads on here that say they need to check for an electrical problem if sputtering at high speeds.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,207 Posts
Look at all the spark plugs for feedback. Maybe one cylinder is too lean or rich.
Check the spark plug wires ends for corrosion and the end caps for resistance.

Reactions: RollaTom
1 - 9 of 9 Posts