Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Last night we tested almost every electrical component, and according to the testing procedures on my Haynes manual, everything passes... Unless if it's intermittently failing. What we found last night: Had a timing light on, and timing is within spec. When the bike would randomly shut off during idle, the timing light would flash as the engine was turning off, so the engine is not shutting off due to loss of spark. Battery voltage at idle is around 13.7-14.1, and rev'ed up a little, it'll stay at 13.6-13.7 ~ stator, regulator/rectifier and all connections leading to and from battery are tight, and clean. Biggest finding: Rear cylinder seems to fire off compared to the front cylinder. If you hold your hand behind both exhaust pipes, the front cylinder has a steady puff pulsation. The rear cylinder will be somewhat steady, with a cough, or a burp in between each 2-3 puffs. The rear cylinder is also the cylinder that produced the dirtiest spark plugs when I replaced them. They were black compared to the front cylinders whitish/orange colored plugs. Since I've owned the bike, it has been running with no air cleaner. Previous owner installed velocity stacks on the carb's, and I've been so busy fixing other crucial parts (brakes, lights, etc) that I have not had time to instal a filtered air system. P/O said he rejetted the carb, so the A/F ratio has been messed with... Last night while letting it idle, and waiting for it to shut off (which it actually stayed on for about 8 minutes, and never shut off... weird) our garage filled with smoke. You could literally see it pouring out the garage door. If you rev the bike, we noticed a big cloud of black smoke would pour out the exhaust. Now we know it's either 1) running too rich on the rear cylinder, or 2) something is not providing enough power to the rear coil to send enough spark to ignite all the fuel. I've put roughly 2000 miles on the bike since I've owned it without touching the carburetors and have never had an issue with them, so if it is a A/F issue, why wouldn't it have acted up before? Maybe carb is going bad? I will be playing with the mixture screws on it tonight and see if it clears up any.
Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same exact issue on my 750 ace

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.