Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a trouble with my VT750 1984. I'll try to explain :

When I try to start with choke, never start only back fire in the exhaust.

When I try to start without choke but with the gaz grab, back fire in the exhaust too

When I try without nothing, if is enough warm it run.

Also when it warm, after a ride, if I stop it for 3 minutes, hard to restart. If I stop and start within 3 minutes it's ok.

I cleaned Carbs, realy clean, run smooth Idle, in acceleration perfect, I realy don't understand.

I try to be more clear as possible but if you have any question just ask, I will try to be more specific.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I only use choke when weather is cold...
IF I open throttle any, it will not start...
When starting it only starts with NO Throttle...
Did you clean or replace air filter?? Also fuel filter??
Try starting without opening the throttle is my suggestion...

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Did you synch and set up the carbs as per the manual when you put things back together?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I only use choke when weather is cold...
IF I open throttle any, it will not start...
When starting it only starts with NO Throttle...
Did you clean or replace air filter?? Also fuel filter??
Try starting without opening the throttle is my suggestion...
Yes it start ok without Throttle. I need to check my fuel filter, but when it running, it run good even in acceleration and high speed. When it's cold, near 40 F, i cannot use choke, it don't start.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Almost sounds like intermittent spark until its started. Have you check/cleaned all the connections on your coils? Maybe test your coils as per the manual? Almost forgot one thing. Are you using a "known to be good" battery with a good charge in it? Low voltage to your coils will do some strange sh** to your ignition.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Yes it start ok without Throttle. I need to check my fuel filter, but when it running, it run good even in acceleration and high speed. When it's cold, near 40 F, i cannot use choke, it don't start. QUOTE
Try the same method, NO Throttle BUT Pull the choke...
When it fires, give it throttle with the choke pulled too...
Mine "acts funny" in cold weather too, by firing on one cylinder for a few seconds after firing up with the choke ON...
Hopefully it is a "Starting Technique" thing????
Good Luck,
Dennis

EDIT=>
And smilie has a good thought on intermittent spark, as mine will run on one cylinder for a few seconds after firing with the Choke ON in cold weather

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost sounds like intermittent spark until its started. Have you check/cleaned all the connections on your coils? Maybe test your coils as per the manual?
I'll check that as soon as I can and I'll let you know. (The weather is too cold for now but next week seems to be ok !)

Almost forgot one thing. Are you using a "known to be good" battery with a good charge in it? Low voltage to your coils will do some strange sh** to your ignition.
My battery is not new and I use a Power Pack connect to it for sure to I have enough power. I know my battery is not good but with the power pack I supposed to be ok ? What do you think ? My Power Pack, Peek 400A nominal 200A.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Yes, I feel your pain;)
It`s gonna be miserably COLD here for the next couple of days :D

Just for licks & grins, I`d unplug and reinsert the connectors inline to the coils...
To be SURE they`re TIGHT...
IF any are loose, then you can squeeze the female to tighten this connector...
Will not hurt to reinstall the waterproof grease while doing the unplug re-plug sequence...

Good Luck & stay WARM,
Dennis

^^ Be sure to check ground wire for these coils for clean & tight connection too...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I feel your pain;)
It`s gonna be miserably COLD here for the next couple of days :D

Just for licks & grins, I`d unplug and reinsert the connectors inline to the coils...
To be SURE they`re TIGHT...
IF any are loose, then you can squeeze the female to tighten this connector...
Will not hurt to reinstall the waterproof grease while doing the unplug re-plug sequence...

Good Luck & stay WARM,
Dennis

^^ Be sure to check ground wire for these coils for clean & tight connection too...
Thanks for the info I'll try it also and... sorry for your COLD days ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts