Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 VT750c Shadow
Bike recently started cutting out around 7k and up...
Suspected the fuel pump, coils, or carbs
Coils test good, carbs are clean, so onto the pump.
Tested power to it, all was well.
Tested the flow and it would cut out so we thought that the pump was the culprit. Completely removed the pump and rode the bike around with just a line from the shut off to the carbs and the cutting out went away.
New FP on the way.
Tonight, installed the new pump and now the bike is back to cutting out again.
:???:
Not sure what to think.
Once again, removed the pump and the bike runs fine. Install a pump and the bike cuts out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
748 Posts
When you set it up to run with just the fuel line, are you by-passing the fuel filter? Cutting out a higher RPM can be caused by a dirty fuel filter.
Just thinkin'...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you set it up to run with just the fuel line, are you by-passing the fuel filter? Cutting out a higher RPM can be caused by a dirty fuel filter.
Just thinkin'...
The fuel filter was still installed, I misspoke above when I said I ran it off the shutoff. The filter is after the petcock, so the filter was still in the loop, I just pulled the lines off of the pump and the long hose that goes to the carbs I installed on the filter.

I will look at and probably even replace the filter though just in case. Thank you for the idea.
I'm just scratching my head.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Now, having a '02 750 DC, i was curious because i have NEVER had it at 7000rpms... i did a google search and found this:

VT750DC.com Everything Honda Shadow Spirit 750

This has the manufacture specs listed.... says the rev limiter is set at 6300 rpms, so to hit 7000 rpms is pretty good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
There is a fuel shutoff relay, but that shouldn't play any real role here I wouldn't believe.
It is a possibility though.

This is a 1983, that spec listing is for 2001 - 2003, 2005-2007.
I appreciate it though.
I am truly sorry for not seeing the year... This page should help more though, It lists Max Torque @ 6k rpms and max power @ 7500 rpms.

Honda VT750C Shadow

Other than web searches, i cannot help. But i will keep searching until i have exhausted my resources.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.