Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have to remove the rear wheel on my bike (2009 Shadow Spirit). It is shaft drive with drum type brakes. Can anyone give me any advise on how to do it or things to look out for. I am mechanically inclined but have never done work on a motorcycle. I just want to make sure i don't screw anything up while trying to fix my current problem. Or would it just be best to take it to a dealership?
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi. Like you, I also have a VT750C2. Mine is a 2008. I believe that you can do the job yourself and save a LOT of cash. First, you must believe that you can do the job. Second, you should have the shop manual to guide you. You should check the listings at the top of the technical discussion page for a free download. The manual will show you the parts involved in your spicific job and tell you what parts, if any, need to be replaced with new ones during the re-assembly. I will be doing a rear wheel removal in the near future on my bike. As I have not done this particular job as of yet, I'm sorry I can't give you more info. Please keep all of us posted on your progress, and don't let small problems with the job discourage you. There are many on this forum that have tips and pointers that will help you out of just about any jam.

I wish you all the best.8)

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
believe it or not, it is not actually that difficult to remove the rear wheel from a shafty.

Its pretty much the same thing on all the bikes Ive done.

place bike on center stand
disconnect the rear brake connection,
remove the 3 or 4 bolts that connects the final drive to the swing arm shaft
remove rear axle nut
have a friend hold the rear tire so there is less weight on the axel
place rear axel nut on 2-3 turns and tap with a mallet to work the axel out.

Once you remove the axle you may find that the swing arm has not lowered enough for you to remove the rear wheel assembly. if this is the case, while your friend supports the weight of the tire, remove the lower bolts on the rear suspension springs. That will give you that extra bit of room to remove the tire. If after that, you still dont have the room... remove the rear fender (I hate that part)

Also note, make sure when you pull the shaft out you dont let it smash on the ground >.<

I think I covered it all XD Need any help let me know, I have done it about 30 times on mostly honda bikes (Honda fury's are an absolute nightmare for rear wheel removal )

·
Registered
457 Posts
First off, I would get the specific Honda manual for your bike. Not only will it help get the rear wheel off, but it gives you everything you need to know to work on your bike.
On my 08 Aero, I first take the exhaust system off. You then need to disconnect the linkage to the rear brake, and loosen the axle nut. I then jack up the bike, remove the axle and the rear wheel.
When you reassemble, as mentioned previously, grease the splines of the final drive with Moly grease before mounting the wheel. Insert the axle and tighten the axle nut. Then hook up the rear brake linkage, lower the bike, and retorque the axle nut. I then install the exhaust system and its done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow, this is scary!!!! All this advice from people who don't know what they are talking about!!! You don't have to remove swing arm bolts or shaft to remove the rear wheel, nor do you have to remove exhaust system, maybe loosen exhaust rear bracket so you can move exhaust a little to clear axle. Remove brake linkage, axle shaft nut, and axle. Move wheel to right to disengage splines and it's out. Sometime it helps to deflate tire prior to removal, but not always necessary. Ride safe! Cowboy

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wow, this is scary!!!! All this advice from people who don't know what they are talking about!!! You don't have to remove swing arm bolts or shaft to remove the rear wheel, nor do you have to remove exhaust system, maybe loosen exhaust rear bracket so you can move exhaust a little to clear axle. Remove brake linkage, axle shaft nut, and axle. Move wheel to right to disengage splines and it's out. Sometime it helps to deflate tire prior to removal, but not always necessary. Ride safe! Cowboy
That may be true on the Spirit, but on the Aero, its much easier to remove the wheel with the exhaust system removed. Might be because the back of the rear fender sweeps farther down, making clearance more of an issue. The Honda manual also states that the exhaust system must first be removed.
By the way, I realize that the OP has a Spirit, so my earlier post was specific as to the Aero, since I've never removed the rear wheel on a Spirit. Since they both have a final drive and rear drum brakes, most of the steps should be the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That may be true on the Spirit, but on the Aero, its much easier to remove the wheel with the exhaust system removed. Might be because the back of the rear fender sweeps farther down, making clearance more of an issue. The Honda manual also states that the exhaust system must first be removed.
By the way, I realize that the OP has a Spirit, so my earlier post was specific as to the Aero, since I've never removed the rear wheel on a Spirit. Since they both have a final drive and rear drum brakes, most of the steps should be the same.
My point exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
On a 750C2 you will have to either unhook the shocks or remove the exhaust as the axle will hit the exhaust. you can not loosen the rear pipe and move it a little as stated because the pipes are held together with a bracket and a crossover tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all,

I have down loaded and read the manual. It says to remove the exhaust system prior to rear wheel removal. I will hopefully be doing this, this week if i get the time. I will let you all know what i had to do to remove the rear wheel assy. Thanks for all the advise and input.

William

·
Registered
457 Posts
Its not hard to do, but does take a little time. One thing I should have mentioned is that after you jack the bike up, make sure you have it lashed to the jack. I use the ratcheting straps that came with my jack to ensure that it stays on the jack. When you remove the rear wheel, it will obviously change the weight and balance of the bike, possibly falling off if not attached to the jack.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I got a MC jack and have the bike in the air. Just to clear the "difference of opinions" the exhaust system does have to come off the bike to remove the rear wheel.
:wink: get you some new crush gaskets if you havent already

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't worked on a VT750C2, but my old VT750 I didn't have to move or even loosen the exhaust - the axle would push out by it. If there's room, if at all possible, don't bother with all of the exhaust headaches. If you do, new crush gaskets are a must - a bad crush gasket with interfere with the performance of your bike big time.

You won't need to deal with removing the shaft either. The shaft is in the final drive box and the axle pokes through the middle.

Just need to loosen the pinch bolts on one side of the axle and then the axle nut on the other side and slide the axle out. Remember to grease the axle putting it back in. Once the axle is tapped out (gently) the wheel will fall, so support it if possible near the end of tapping out the axle. It may stay up due to the final drive box, but be prepared for it to drop (and land on your foot and roll away) :-D

I know all of this has been said in previous posts - just weighing in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Advice

I would suggest downloading the manual that markspike linked up.

The next thing is to get a decent jack. The old block of wood trick may or may not be good enough to do the job. Getting the bike up and supported is really key to making it an easy job.

Past that, pulling the wheel is really 'childs play.'

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got the rear wheel off, fixed and back on. Was not really all that bad of a job. You will have to remove the exhaust from the bike if its stock (Not sure on some aftermarket exhaust systems) to remove the rear axle shaft. I did not have to remove or even take lose the shocks. All in all took me about an hour for the removal and install.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.