Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

It was a bright sunny day a couple of weeks ago and I mistakenly left the ignition of my 1988 vt800 in the on position. I charged the battery and tested it, but I still have no power. The main 30A fuse has also been tested.
I suspect it's the ignition switch that's possibly fried.

Does anyone know:
1) How to test the ignition switch?
2) If I need to replace the switch, is there any other model year ignition switch that might also work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Hello All,

It was a bright sunny day a couple of weeks ago and I mistakenly left the ignition of my 1988 vt800 in the on position. I charged the battery and tested it, but I still have no power. The main 30A fuse has also been tested.
I suspect it's the ignition switch that's possibly fried.

Does anyone know:
1) How to test the ignition switch?
2) If I need to replace the switch, is there any other model year ignition switch that might also work?

Thanks.
Check all your fuses. at the ignition you have one hot wire from the battery (should be red, I may be wrong), the others comming out will have power with the key in the on position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get no power on the "hot wire" to the switch; however, all the fuses checked OK.

Does anyone know if the "hot wire" comes directly from the battery.
I get the expected 12+ volts at the battery and at the relay switch (where the main 30A fuse is located)

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.