Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

If we compare the exhaust sounds on a VT800 vs. a VT1100, is there much difference? Both would use custom pipes without baffles....

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow VT1100C
2,833 Posts
Hi!

If we compare the exhaust sounds on a VT800 vs. a VT1100, is there much difference? Both would use custom pipes without baffles....

Very little difference actually.

A funny thing I've noticed on Youtube videos of custom exhausts without baffles on dual pin crank bikes like our 1100's and 750's is that the videos are often shot with the bike idling really low because the owner turned down the idle speed to as low as possible in order to get the 'sound' of a loping Harley. Sometimes they will be idling so low that you swear they will stall. I always think to myself and wonder if the owner realizes that a bike running at that low an rpm is not getting any oil to the top end of the motor.

Another thing I notice a lot is that the bike is rarely revved up high during the 'demo video'. Probably because they sound worse the higher you rev them.

In other words, they only sound good while the bike is idling at 200 rpm (instead of the correct 1,000 rpm) at the Dairy Queen as the owner slowly puts on his jacket, gloves, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it seems that the sound becomes worse when revving in neutral...but when in gear and driving the sound is much better/cooler! =)

Here is a video of a really nice sounding 750cc Shadow:

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,477 Posts
That does sound nice but, How is it when you are sitting right on top of those pipes going down the road for an hour? Ear plugs time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is the only Shadow with custom exhaust that I actually like the sound of. Still for me, I prefer quiet over cool. I would be deaf by the time I got to work...

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,469 Posts
The ACE Tourer, Sabre, Spirit/VT1100C are twin pin motors.The ACE 1100's are single pin except the last year I believe some are twin pins. All smaller displacement Shadow models are single pin thus sound better than ANY twin pin.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like the sound of my twin pin, I don't care for HDs (I live next to a biker bar and I have to listen to the drunk morons flying by at closing time on their HDs) and I don't want my bike to sound like one.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,250 Posts
Those sound like V&H Cruzers with the baffles removed.
I personally don't shift my bike at 2500 rpm, so I'm pretty sure I'd have more than just one dog barking if I tried something like that.

I too prefer relatively quiet to avoid attracting heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts