Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
i'm not of the opinion that it's a bobber (the full size fenders, ton o' chrome, soft-tail, and ape hangers are not features of the typical "bobber")

however, it's a good lookin' bike, whatever you wanna call it.

with the soft tail and the sprung seat, how's the ride? i'd be afraid it would feel a little disconnected.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Replace the mirrors with some Ness teardrop type, lose the passenger pegs and peel off those silly tank decals and you will have one gorgeous ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im with you, it's not a "true" bobber.

Not sure what else you would call it. It has that look or style so we call it a "bobber".

The ride is good with the suspension there, surprisingly.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I just want to clarify that you asked for opinions. The following is mine.

Not a bobber. Not nearly a bobber. I see a VTX that has had it's bars swapped for 12" apes, a cover made for the seat rails, and a spring saddle. That's it, but I may be missing something.

It look good, but I'm not sure that "built" is the proper term, perhaps "mild custom".

If you took that bike, left the bars, got rid of all the chrome covers and useless pretty bits, tossed the front fender, and hacked of most of the rear, got rid of those fork covers, and put on a cool old headlight, lost the tank badges and floor boards, and maybe welded the rear fender to the swingarm... then you'd be close.

Again... opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You name it.

We really don't mind calling these bikes anything in particular. And we say "build" because we have to fabricate some things to make them happen, seat plate for the sringer seat for one example.

Not trying to claim rights to the rights to the bike itself.

We are just customizing metric bikes so there are options for those that don't see the point in the alternative.

This is a great place for the feedback and hope that is what you guys help us with. As far as naming the look of the bikes we modify, we are open for suggestions!

Just hope you appreciate what we are trying to do and hope someday we help you make your bike a little different than the guy next to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Bobber" gets its name from the cut down/ bobbed fenders, and stripped down look. Other than the ape hangers, and seat, it looks like a run-of the mill vtx to me. I also agree with psychoboy that there's too much chrome. Early bobbers were mostly old Harleys, that people stripped down to make them lighter and go faster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do we cal it

OK, OK

We need to call it something.

You name it, we need to put a name on the box for the kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd call it an "Old Skool Gangster" kit. I think I'd add grip tassles, and maybe a suicide clutch setup. Oh, and ya gotta have Dice for valve stem caps. Powdercoating the outer rim red would top it off quite nicely.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Are you asking for opinions or are you asking for compliments?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any feedback is appreciated.

We are trying to make what people want. What I like is not always what everyone else likes.

If you guys give us feedback, good or bad we can make better bikes.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Maybe this is more a "sales" suggestion than any thing.

You've gotten a few examples now (couple models shown in other post) with some variation in "style". Using what you got "now" IS a big help in allowing the customer to "see"(visual aid) what is possible with these "mild" mods on this type of metric. Doing to many more might not be worth the effort/money for return.

Maybe taking your photo's and putting them into a "Photo Shop" program thingy, you could use different colors, add different parts, etc. and further help the customer to decide. Since I'm not 'puter smart....better ask those reallllly smart guys about doing it. I hear it's not too hard for some people. :roll:

Bullzeyet

No one's really come up with a "catchy" name/title/phrase for just "personalizing" one's motorcycle. Even the manufacturer's are having a tough time. :roll:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would call it a VTX ApeSpringer What would your kit consist of? Bars, seat pan, seat, extentension cables and brake lines, what else? I like the look. Would like to see the same thing without the springer seat and with a lower, thinner, custom seat. and yes, lose the passenger pegs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
AERO_HEAD said:
Replace the mirrors with some Ness teardrop type, lose the passenger pegs and peel off those silly tank decals and you will have one gorgeous ride!
they just don't peel off,they are clear coated over and I was about to take mine off to put some Steed badges on my bike and found that out :x
Nice looking bike,notbig on Apes though :oops:

·
Registered
46 Posts
twisty571 said:
AERO_HEAD said:
they just don't peel off,they are clear coated over and I was about to take mine off to put some Steed badges on my bike and found that out :x
Nice looking bike,notbig on Apes though :oops:
We're talking about a VTX1300 here. The emblems are no clear coated over. They are hard plastic at least 3/8" protrudeing from the surface of the tank. A little dental floss, and they're gone.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
feedback

The apes have to go.....The everything about the bike seems to flow downward and those bars just don't seem to fit in. Try some beach bars on that bike, I think it would look much better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts