Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the story I have to thank the 2 guys and the girl of the one that help me and the wife after our mishap.

Long story made short I took my wife on the lonest ride she's ever been on. We stoped at 3 wine gradens and the shops and I bought her a few boottles and a little crystal glass for her birthday and loaded the bags and took off. Finished our trips and had well over 50lbs in the bags with our weight . I had stiffen the rear shocks to handle it a little better but even then I noticed the front end was going light.
On our way back on rt 250 next to tappen lake I decided to pull over and stop before the 60 mile long hual home. We had already pulled 220miles before the stop ( stoped a few times in them miles) we wanted to walk on the floating dock. We did our thing heading back to our bike and I get this idea of let's start taking pictures of the bikes at the diffrent lakes and pond we might stop at. I move the bike to get a nice picture of the bike and lake.
I then upload it to my facebook and the vtxoa site feeling as if I'm on top the world .I saddle up I move the bike around ready to get off the gravel back to the black top of the road. I get the wife back on get all settled in and start to move. I slowly start to slip the clutch out and I feel the front wheel go slideing out from under me and the back wheel start to slip. I tried to hold the est.1500 lbs on my on leg being that it was already almost down when I feel my wife slide down to the ground witch shifted the weight more I hit the kill switch. My foot then slipped under the bike and as fast it happen the bike was down the wife was down and I was down.
I tell the wife get off the bike because she still had a leg over half was I ask if she's ok .she replys back"I'm fine but how's your legs " I say"its fine" I then get up and look at the bike and ask the wife if she's fine. I look around thinking how am I getting this bike up when 2 cars come flying in around me. The one guy jumped out then the other to make sure we was fine .I said yes and we talked a few then I asked for help lifting it make up.

The only thing I have to say is thank god for kill switch crash bars and some nice people still on earth. The amount of cars that drove by before them guys showed made me wonder what happen to the careing side of people.

After its all set and done my pipes are toast my right side marrior is toast me floor bord is scuffed and so are the bags . The small little crystal glass the was on the side pocket the the bike and wine and ever thing fell on lasted and never even chipped.

Pride hurt bikes hurt but the wife is fine so in my eye that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
The bike can be fixed. Good to hear you and the Mrs. are ok. The wine and glasses survived so that is a definite plus. I suggest you have a glass of wine with your best friend and remember that good time you had most of the trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sometime even when we are carefull things like this can happen. Glad that you and the wife are ok. The bike can be repaired. Hope you are back on the road soon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometime even when we are carefull things like this can happen. Glad that you and the wife are ok. The bike can be repaired. Hope you are back on the road soon.
Back on the rode with the vtx today before the tire busted a belt on the last mile. I got atleast 3good rides on it its new to me still (3months) . But I still have my ace to ride solo so if the wife wants to she can come on it. Reason for 2 bikes right here.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
**it happens.

I hate gravel. Small gravel, big gravel, gravel on blacktop, any gravel, all gravel. Gravel sucks.

Really glad you guys are alright, relatively minor damage to bike.....and saved the wine !

Could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
At least both you and your wife are ok. Much better to have a low speed spill than an "off" moment on the highway. Always good when you can walk away from or even ride away from an accident.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
It happen to even the most experienced riders, I'm a big fan of crash bars for just that reason.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
"My first accident" sounds kind of fatalistic. Are you planning some more?:grin2:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I consider myself to be a good rider, I can ride the crap out of my Valkyries on any kind of roads, dry or wet. But if there's one thing I hate, it's gravel. I don't know what it is, but my confidence in handling the Valk on any kind of graveled roads literally dips to single digit numbers. Just glad to see that you made it out without any injuries. The bike can always be fixed.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good to hear no serious injury, especially since it was the pipe side. And +100 to gravel sucks! It's like riding on ball bearings, any sudden move, turn, stop....ect can be very dangerous. That gravel looks pretty deep, and that is even worse!

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
I went off road yesterday too...
Checking out hunting land at the WMAs close by got me into some soft sand, loose gravel and a situation that I had to GASSS IT!!!
I made it through the soft sand, turned around and went right back through, but much faster...
I might suggest you watch Motormans video which shows a girl lifting a cruiser from the downed position, just for future mishaps...
AND If you look down, you`re going down is another lesson I learned from these videos...

I covered several roads Mike and I had traveled on his southern visit...

I`m glad the only things broken were your pride and the mirror...

Lets RIDE ( but not in the dirt on a cruiser )

D

EDIT>>>
Wine sampling/testing wasn`t a factor, was it???

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
I went off road yesterday too...
Checking out hunting land at the WMAs close by got me into some soft sand, loose gravel and a situation that I had to GASSS IT!!!
I made it through the soft sand, turned around and went right back through, but much faster...
I might suggest you watch Motormans video which shows a girl lifting a cruiser from the downed position, just for future mishaps...
AND If you look down, you`re going down is another lesson I learned from these videos...

I covered several roads Mike and I had traveled on his southern visit...

I`m glad the only things broken were your pride and the mirror...

Lets RIDE ( but not in the dirt on a cruiser )

D

EDIT>>>
Wine sampling/testing wasn`t a factor, was it???
That was my first thought. Drinking and riding=NFG I hope you and the wife heal quickly.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I'll join in with the others to say I am very happy to hear that you and your wife were not injured. The bike is just a piece of metal...it will get fixed if you want to spend the time and $$. I also wanted to add that I am glad you posted this because if I ever ride 2-up and get on a gravel parking lot, I'll remember this and politely ask my passenger to walk to the nearest hard pavement and then mount up. It's inconvenient...but so is landing on your ass.

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Ride like a pro videos are good in teaching us to Look where you want the Bike to go...
I caught myself looking at something and running right to that spot (as in) > xclm-ike can vouch for my slight miss while we were at Andersonville POW Camp/Museum and my hitting the grass off the side of the road...
I found myself looking at the ground insteadda looking down the row of soy beans during my "cutting horse" adventure, then, When I looked up the row, the bike went up the row... http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/96219-vt750-cutting-horse-chase-story.html

Yeah, to coin a song lyrics >
"If you drink, Don`t RIDE! Do the watermelon crawl"...

Dr. Bobs` patient 25 years,
D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I consider myself to be a good rider, I can ride the crap out of my Valkyries on any kind of roads, dry or wet. But if there's one thing I hate, it's gravel. I don't know what it is, but my confidence in handling the Valk on any kind of graveled roads literally dips to single digit numbers. Just glad to see that you made it out without any injuries. The bike can always be fixed.

I have to agree my shadow is a different beast on gravel do to size weight power tire designs. It doesn't really mess with it to much.

My old xj 650 I had when I was self learning to ride i learn in gravel and tried to do everything possible to learn dos and donts.

As be it the vtx big beast still new to the bike really with under a grand on it. I guess you" live to learn and ride to live. "

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
17 Participants
Swe-eet ace
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing