Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so curious what this actually looks like on a spirit. im planning on sticking with the oem tire for now but i think it would look better with a wider rear tire. so doing some reading the best way is a vtx outer ring relace to run a 200 size rear tire but looking for an image. trying to see what it would actually look like im only bringing up highly modified bikes. does anyone have this mod or other similarly wider tires on a spirit you can send me a snap from the rear? on a something thats not a full on chopper/bobber style? some similar images of the 170-180 rear tire options would be pleasant also. anything to give me an idea what a wider rear tire would look like on a stock bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings....Still trying to figure out this site......Long time posting. About to get this beautiful Shadow 1100 going better. Got questions. Please be friendly.........Say "hello"

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings....Still trying to figure out this site......Long time posting. About to get this beautiful Shadow 1100 going better. Got questions. Please be friendly.........Say "hello"
lol well ok hello
you will probably get more responses making your own posts. ive been in the vehicle specific forum scenes for a while. been here for over a year lots of great information here with generally helpful folks around.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
347 Posts
Not sure what you're asking, but I think a wide tire on a Spirit would look great. The only limit without significant customizing would be the swing arm and/or the rear fender. I think the stock rim can take a wider tire than the stock tire size, but I guess the rim could be considered another limit.

I do know that on Valkyries (I have a '98 Standard) the rear fender limits tire size before the swing arm does. There is a simple mod that some riders do (called the "fender nut mod") that allows wider tires on those bikes using the stock rim.

As far as putting a different rim on the rear, I have no clue. There's probably someone on here that's done it.

🦆

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you're asking, but I think a wide tire on a Spirit would look great. The only limit without significant customizing would be the swing arm and/or the rear fender. I think the stock rim can take a wider tire than the stock tire size, but I guess the rim could be considered another limit.

I do know that on Valkyries (I have a '98 Standard) the rear fender limits tire size before the swing arm does. There is a simple mod that some riders do (called the "fender nut mod") that allows wider tires on those bikes using the stock rim.

As far as putting a different rim on the rear, I have no clue. There's probably someone on here that's done it.

🦆
supposedly a 200 size tire will fit the stock rim but with the width of the rim it hinders the actual width of a 200. if you relace a vtx?? outer ring onto the stock hub it allows the 200 series tire to stay relaxed out where it should be. anyway im looking for images of a spirit (mine is an 01 750) with wider tires than the 160 80 15. i seen a few images with obviously a wider tire on a spirit but it doesn't mention the tire size. the few images i found that specifies a 200 rear you can barely tell it was a honda.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,112 Posts
170/80/15. Stock rim.

Honestly with a 180-200 tire I feel like you’re going to have to trim the subframe under the fender because my 170 is pretty damn close to it already. I’ve seen the 200 with VTX barrel before and it does look good, the absolute limit of a chain drive 750 shadow with a custom rear wheel and fender is 240 and that’s really really close to rubbing on everything near the swing arm and the chain.

Reactions: Kenstone

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,221 Posts
Folks here long ago put 200 Metzlers on stock rims on 1100's. Using a 170/80-15 as the stock tire on a 1100C/Spirit. a 200 will increase your dia. by .300 in., 180 will lower your dia. by .800 in. which is a good tire to remedy the tall gearbox on a VT1100C/Spirit thus increasing rpm's. The 200 will lower your rpm's a tad. To be honest I like the 170 for looks as a 180 doesn't look as "fulfilling" in the fender.

Here is a search that you will have to pic thru for info:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks here long ago put 200 Metzlers on stock rims on 1100's. Using a 170/80-15 as the stock tire on a 1100C/Spirit. a 200 will increase your dia. by .300 in., 180 will lower your dia. by .800 in. which is a good tire to remedy the tall gearbox on a VT1100C/Spirit thus increasing rpm's. The 200 will lower your rpm's a tad. To be honest I like the 170 for looks as a 180 doesn't look as "fulfilling" in the fender.

Here is a search that you will have to pic thru for info:

ya i actually might want lower rpms for my riding. probably be alot of highway for me. not really interested in being able to accelerate as fast as the bike is currently able to. look and function is the big ticket for me as ive also been debating on sprocket change but im waiting until i get more time on the bike to really decide what i want.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,130 Posts
You could always go dark side!

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
425 Posts
FWIW, 180/70/15 on stock wheel. Non stock bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could always go dark side!
unless you want to enlightening me im going to have to look that up. its been mentioned several times about going dark side. however what i have researched on my bike that term hasn't come up yet.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,221 Posts
The "Darkside"/"Cheapside" supposedly works well on Fattie's like my Valk, GW's, etc. so I hear but I don't ride enough to justify trying it and folks forget the splines in the Pumkin' get serviced (lubed) every tire change thus @ 12,000 mi. which is the usual rear tire death on Valk so dropping the rear should be done every 12,000. Replacing the rear tire isn't my favorite thing to do plus adding the weight of CT to whole scenario, like I said its mileage/$$$ issue and I prefer handling being what I'm used to. All the Shadow line IMO isn't heavy enough to justify trying this alternative but.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts