Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks for the info.

AFT's cam design choices pretty much have to be what they are since they can IIRC use the stock valve springs (no inners).
This limits both the lift and the ramps of the design. Not much lift in the figure you quote and it is hard to comment on the duration without knowing the starting point lift.

I have a couple of articles from Road Bike (JanFeb and MarApr 2004) on the modification of a 750 ACE with Designed Performance cams and pistons.
I wonder who made the pistons for them and if the IP is locked down like AFT's?

BITD most places custom pistons required a minimum order of a box of 8.
Chamber is shared with the NT650 which most make pistons for, although the piston pin height and pin diameter are different, I imagine that should help in their set-up costs.
I'd like to help out on the piston ordering front, but right now my pockets are shallow and the Purse Strangler has hold of the general household coffers. )-:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I know AFT bought the DP rights, so I would imagine he's doing nothing different. DP dissolved long ago, so there's no way to contact anyone about that information, and as I've said before, AFT is nearly useless about any of the specifics of his kit, but he'll gladly sell you one...

I know JE will make pistons 2 at a time if needed, prices would likely go down if you did buy more, but I can't imagine by much. That's one of their special services to help keep a LOT more older/less loved bikes on the road.

I've a great guy for porting work and he performs magic on every head he touches. I would likely send them off to him for whatever he can do to them. Them (hopefully) follow PRSnow's ideas as well to get to that 60 RWHP number.

Hell, I might even just start with cams, valve springs and porting first, then add the pistons later to avoid a full tear down.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts