Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to build a one off custom bike. I have a lot of ideas, but I am having trouble finding one source for the components. I came across a catalog years ago that had everything you could possibly need to build one, but now I can't find one. Does anyone have any info? My uncle has a 73 sportster basket case that I may get for the frame and minor bits and pieces.

·
Registered
895 Posts
J&P cycles has a lot of bolt-on items. Speaking from personal experience though, to build a custom bike I don't think you're gonna find a one-stop shop for everything. Some things you will need to fabricate (especially if there is any alterations to the frame) ...that's what makes it so fun modiong bikes...you never know what you're gonna run into until it hits ya right between the eyes and ya HAVE to come up with a solution! :D

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Mmmm.. basket case Sporty..exactly what more do you need to get started?

Welcome to Chop building 101

First lesson.. you will get dirty, greasy, and frustrated,you will spend many sleepless or near sleepless nights in the garage. You will have constant disappointments and set backs, you will bruise knuckles and your ego. The Painter will be late, the tear down will reveal internal damage, the machine shop will have closed, important fasteners will not be properly tightened..etc etc..have fun, it's worth every minute and every aggravation

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'm guessing that you know what "clearancing" is?
;-)
That's making room in the frame for everything you want to fit. You'll be doing a lot of it . . .
No one place, like CD says, to find your parts, but that's where all the fun is. If you like that kind of fun.
My guess is, you do.
Good luck!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, I own a farm and do all my own mechanic work so I know about set backs lol. I will be builder, fabricater, painter and owner. When I get done I will be able to stand back and say I did that.. I am no stranger to late nights in the shop, hard work, or making stuff work. It will be my first bike build though. As far as j and p I have some of their catalogs. I know the one that I saw a few years ago had everything. I remember looking at frames, wheels, drivetrains..... It was a no frills deal. No product touting etc.. just specs and prices on the products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.