Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Like I said in the intro area, I currently ride a 2007 Rebel and I'm ready to upgrade to a Shadow. I love my Rebel, but I'm stressing her out on the freeway going WOT keeping up with traffic and I ride with the local chapter of the CMA who all have much larger bikes and I push the Rebel to it's limits keeping up with them too.
While I want a bigger bike, I don't want to go too big as I have muscular dystrophy and don't want something bigger than a 750. I also want to do away with the maintenance involved with a chain, so I want something with either belt or shaft drive. I'd like to go with something newer than 2000. So what's out there that fits the criteria?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
VN750 or the shaftdrive model of the Shadow 750. Probably easier to find a late model VN750 as all of them are shaftdrive - but they are a little taller than the Shadows - so if that is an issue stick with the Shadow. Kawasaki also makes a nice belt drive 900 that gets amazing reviews.

·
Registered
162 Posts
my 84 shadow and my 09 Aero are both shaft drive and I love them to death.

·
Registered
887 Posts
2000 and up gives you 4 options: A.C.E. (American Classic Edition), Spirit, Aero, and VLX. The ACE and VLX are all primarily chain driven. Some Spirits and all Aeros are shaft driven.

Both are great bikes, IMO it's all down to looks. A quick google picture search will get you the lowdown there.

Remember to explore your options. Hondas are great bikes, so are Suzukis, Kawasakis, Yamahas Harleys, Ducatis, Triumphs, etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
2000 and up gives you 4 options: A.C.E. (American Classic Edition), Spirit, Aero, and VLX. The ACE and VLX are all primarily chain driven. Some Spirits and all Aeros are shaft driven.

Both are great bikes, IMO it's all down to looks. A quick google picture search will get you the lowdown there.

Remember to explore your options. Hondas are great bikes, so are Suzukis, Kawasakis, Yamahas Harleys, Ducatis, Triumphs, etc, etc.
You might want to check out the mid sized Kawasaki Vulcans also. Pretty low seat height, liquid cooled, shaft drive.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Those Vulcans do get good reviews. Never rode one myself, so I can't comment further. Personally, I'd go older and look for a decent Honda Magna. They're just a lot smoother and lighter and generally handle better than any Shadow I've ridden. I took a friend's 85 V30 (500CC) out once and swore I could dance on it. The same with an 84 700 Magna.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My 06 aero shadow 750 fits me great i'm 5'6" go to a dealer and seat on all the bikes you like then set up a test ride my dealer had the bike's ready i would get off one and on to another one they are more than happy to let you ride if you are going to buy good luck.

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Opinions please...

2004 Honda Shadow Aero

What do you guys thing of this deal? Is this high mileage? Good deal? Any thing I should be aware of with this year, model, and mileage?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Spirit before 07 is chain, after 07 is shaft. I do beleive that there was a half year in 07 that had chain drive spirits...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went from a Rebel to a 750 Honda Aero and have never looked back. I have nearly 34,000 mi on my 07' and have only had to do normal maintainance to it. (tires, plugs, oil, filters etc) It handles great on the twisties or will run 70+ on the hiways. I don't know what more you could ask for.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That looks like a fairly decent deal if you have the cash in hand he might even go down a bit more. Bike sounds like it has been rode well and taken care of. Everything on the bike you would want. If it fits you, go for it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My bride came off a Rebel after putting 10K on it and moved to an 08 Aero. Low seat height, shaft and very managable tipping up and backing up were the big pluses. VLX is lighter than the Aero but if weight is a biggie;
  • Kawa 500 LTD is an overgrown Rebel 6 speed, 439 lb (dry) + chain.
  • Suzuki S40 thumper is 5 speed, belt drive and 532 (dry). This bike may not be suitable for freeways or hills with a load.
  • Aero 750, 553 lbs, shaft 5 speed.
  • Honda VLX, 452 lbs, 4 sp chain.
Spirit and VLX have narrower front tires making them more responsive. Given your MD issue, VLX may be your best option.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I would go and sit on many bikes in your price range before deciding, really. VStar 650's are a good choice as well and all of them come with shaft drive, very low seat height and very manageable weight. Suzuki C50/M50/S50 or their predecessors are great choices as well (they are 800cc).

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The search is over!!!

Pulled the trigger on an '08 Shadow Spirit VT750 with only 1500 miles on it!. Owner was asking $3995. He was willing to negotiate and I got him down to $3600. He's delivering it today! Whoohoo!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts