Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can tell you what my 03 Spirit 1100 doesn't have,
Put on the highbeam flasher, 2 55w fog lamps and turn up the 100 watt amp to hear the music over the cross wind and your battery will drain to nothing.
Twodawdz and I went for a 320 miler on Saturday. Up 101 from LA and to Santa Maria, then a nice little twisty I found by accident a few years ago to 166 to New Cuyama. Stopped for gas and when I went to crack my 6 month old factory battery and it barely turned the starter and I needed a jump. Riding homw 120 miles in one shot with fog lamps and stereo OFF - my batter is fully charged and holding a charge.
If I ever run both drains at the same time, I have always turned one off about 5 minutes from stopping - just in case. Didn't this time and the result was that now I will also carry jumper cables along with a compressor and liter or 2 of gasoline- pretty soon I will either need a trailer or a Gold Wing -.....hmmmm....Honey something I need to talk to you about....

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I also have two 55w auxilary lamps but they are only on with the low beams as during daylight hours I just use the hi beams, I also have an electric jacket liner and gloves, so far with my set up have had no problems, I also keep my battery tender jr hooked up when not riding.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eldorado said:
I also have two 55w auxilary lamps but they are only on with the low beams as during daylight hours I just use the hi beams, I also have an electric jacket liner and gloves, so far with my set up have had no problems, I also keep my battery tender jr hooked up when not riding.
Which bike do you have? I wonder if there is a difference in electrical charging capability between our bikes? I ride every weekend so my battery doesn't get a chance to lose much between ride - but I did get a 'tender' - just haven't hooked it up yet.

Here is one for the rest of the forum - Twodawgzz taught me this - carry a spare ignition/gas cap key - if for some reason you can't turn off your bike - ie starter, battery etc - you will need the 2nd key for the gascap - that twodawgzz is a really smart guy but he doen's know how to spell :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The pair of 55w spots put it right at the limit of output, add the extra 100w boom box and your about 85w over load, as you have found.

Get a mp3 player.

Btw, I was on the 101 several times today, from 405 to Oxnard and then back to 5, for work though, sigh, :(

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rickbb said:
The pair of 55w spots put it right at the limit of output, add the extra 100w boom box and your about 85w over load, as you have found.

Get a mp3 player.

Btw, I was on the 101 several times today, from 405 to Oxnard and then back to 5, for work though, sigh, :(
Actually the music is a cluge job ( ask Mtn Bike Mike :) of a small 100w amp, 2 35watt speakers and my IPOD shuffle. Music in my helmet is as distracting to me as driving in a car with a cell phone - for me, ambient music doesn't distract me at all.- easy enough to do 1 or the other - just thought I would share my mishap- and Shadow's don't bump start easily - I tried..

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ihavethespirit said:
Eldorado said:
Which bike do you have? I wonder if there is a difference in electrical charging capability between our bikes? I ride every weekend so my battery doesn't get a chance to lose much between ride - but I did get a 'tender' - just haven't hooked it up yet.

Here is one for the rest of the forum - Twodawgzz taught me this - carry a spare ignition/gas cap key - if for some reason you can't turn off your bike - ie starter, battery etc - you will need the 2nd key for the gascap - that twodawgzz is a really smart guy but he doen's know how to spell :)
Well I ride a 02 Sabre, just checked on my electric jacket liner and it will draw 5 amps/65 watts at full power, I so far have only been runing it at about 1/4 as that's as much as needed so far, the gloves feed off the Jacket liner and draw 2.3 amps, as mentioned no problem so far as even at nite I switch between hi and low beams, I'm sure I'm close to max but have been able to manage the load so far.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe someone knows if the Sabre has a bigger charging system but if it is a real cold night- turn off your foglights about 10 minutes before you shut off the bike, if you are planning on a restart :wink:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Right after I bought my wing, I was showing some members in my family all the kewl stuff it had.
I had all the lights on (4 headlights, 2 fog lights) stereo,cb, intercom. Motor off.
The battery went dead within 5 minutes. Luckily their driveway was steep enough that a short roll and pop the clutch, the bike fired right up.
Now the good part, I went for a short ride yesterday (150 miles), I see another cyclist parked along side the road, so I stop, turn everything off, and ask if he needed any help. No, he just stopped to take some photo's. So we chatted a bit about his FJR. And he takes off.
I hop on my wing, turn the key on push the button............ nothing. Again I am on a hill, but this time popping the clutch didn't work.
I am thinking crap, I am out in the middle of nowhere and the bike won't start.
I had trouble with the stereo earlier so now I am thinking, maybe a loose wire, but everything is working, it just won't crank.
Then I notice the kill switch is in the off position. :oops:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ashadowrider
Glen- Hawaii600 - said that when ever he rode with a Wing pack someone would hit his reverse lever- cause it won't start that way either, but easier to overlook.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.