Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to replace my stock handlebar grips, but looking through mail-order catalogs has confused me.
I know I have 1" bars but my question is will this new 1" grip slip onto my throttle sleeve???
Thanks, dkight

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gonzo and Eldorado, that is the information that I needed. Now I have goal to work towards. Thanks again, dkight

·
Registered
80 Posts
Eldorado said:
Kuryakyn Universal ISO Grips will fit perfect and they are comfortable and I don't have big hands. These are what I have along with the Throttle Boss (which I strongly recomend) also http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=112&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=633&model_ID=103

I was looking at those grips on ebay ... they look great !

I have a Shadow VT500 1985, I was told the handlebar is 7/8.. do you know if those grips will fit?

Gonzo, those Harley grips are cool !! Can I ask you where did you get the rest of the control for the handle bar, the starter and the brake fluid reservoir.. was it too dificult to install them?

Thanks !

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
DaveCR said:
Eldorado said:
Kuryakyn Universal ISO Grips will fit perfect and they are comfortable and I don't have big hands. These are what I have along with the Throttle Boss (which I strongly recomend) also http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=112&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=633&model_ID=103

I was looking at those grips on ebay ... they look great !

I have a Shadow VT500 1985, I was told the handlebar is 7/8.. do you know if those grips will fit?

Gonzo, those Harley grips are cool !! Can I ask you where did you get the rest of the control for the handle bar, the starter and the brake fluid reservoir.. was it too dificult to install them?

Thanks !
I don't know you would have to check with Kuryakyn, my Sabre bars are 1 Inch.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just to be clear, grips made for 1" bars will not fit 7/8" bars. Actually, one will.. the left 1' grip might fit the throttle sleeve on 7/8" bars...but the other one will be way too big to fit the other side. (don't ask how I know this). HOWEVER... when I went to the local dealer to see what had gone wrong, I discovered that they had 1" and 7/8" versions of every grip they carried, including Kuryakyn Iso grips.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Kuryakyn grips come as a mis-matched set. Order them for the size bars you have. You will see that when you open the package and hold them together, that one is a large inside diameter and the other smaller. The smaller of the two goes on the clutch side and the larger goes over the throttle sleeve. They take away the guesswork for you. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think all grips come that way, they know that one side has to clear the throttle sleeve. The throttle sleeve in 7/8" bars is awful close to 1" though hence my experience.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I haven't changed those things out yet (YET)...... just added the grips. I am planning on adding the Harley contr0ols later...and yes it is quite a bit of rewiring to do so. Looks a whole lot nicer though.

Gonz

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
DaveCR - to be clear, your bars are 7/8" and Kury does make both the regular and flame ISO grips for 7/8" bars.

Gonzo, I can't wait to see the harley control swap!

·
Registered
80 Posts
OK understood !! I was under the impresion they only had 1" .. didn't check as I should have :oops:

I have wonder one thing.. the brake fluid reservoir is way old (20 years) .. the little plastic "window" to check the fluid is like toasted because of the sun .. do you know if that's a standard fit? are all the reservoirs the same size?

I was looking at this http://clutchlevers.com/TBrcSHAD.jpg

and I would like to get it, but

1 don't know if it will fit
2 if it fits, the base will be black and in bad shape :cry:

so I would like to change the whole thing...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that function wise, most shadow master cylnders would interchange - BUT, your real problem is that you need MC's that fit on 7/8" bars and you need them from a bike with both hydraulic clutch and brake (not to mention yours mount at an angle to compensate for the rise of the handle bars). Honda changed all the cruisers to 1" bars in '90 or so and a lot of the later models have clutches w/ cables.

Instead, I'd take your old MC's off, remove the paint, clean them up and re-paint them or buff them (they're aluminum). There's a guy on ebay who sells sight-glass replacements too.

I think that the resovoir caps for shadow MC's are pretty standard - except the earlier ones are pure rectangles whereas the newer ones are slightly rounded at the corners - so I think it would bolt on and probably seal, but it might look a little funny.

·
Registered
80 Posts
lang said:
I'll go out on a limb and suggest ...

... I'd take your old MC's off, remove the paint, clean them up and re-paint them or buff them (they're aluminum).
Will try that this weekend !!

Thanks for the suggestion ! :idea:

·
Registered
6 Posts
just wanted to say thanks to you Gonzo for your little tutorial. I just did it to my 2000 Shadow VT750 ACE and I LOVE my new grips, and its all thanks to you man! I'll post a pic of them latter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Metalo said:
just wanted to say thanks to you Gonzo for your little tutorial. I just did it to my 2000 Shadow VT750 ACE and I LOVE my new grips, and its all thanks to you man! I'll post a pic of them latter.
You went with Harley grips too?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Before replacing your sight glass, give polishing them a try. My 83 was too foggy to read, but after a little polishing and some Armorall they are pretty good.
Rocksolid

·
Registered
6 Posts
rocksolid said:
Before replacing your sight glass, give polishing them a try. My 83 was too foggy to read, but after a little polishing and some Armorall they are pretty good.
Rocksolid
Yes, I went with Harley grips. The universal and aftermarket Honda grips I found where all fairly unimpressive. Not to mention the ISO grips that EVERYBODY seems to LOVE, I hate them. When I bought the bike it had ISOs on it and I found them to be very uncomfortable. Plus the rubber was coming apart and every time I went for a ride they turned my palms black. I would have much rather had stock grips but when I tried to remove them the throttle sleeve broke because of all the glue the previous owner used. So while I was at the Harley/Honda dealer pricing the part I saw the flame grips they had for Harleys and just had to have them! So after reading Gonzo's tutorial I bought them and installed them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts