Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the second time changing the oil. I pulled off the left chromed crankcase cover and forgot to remove the pin at the top. With a little bit of elbow grease I pulled it off and just happened to break the dowel attached to the cover that the pin goes through. Now the top part of it dangles loosely. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to resecure it without going out and buying a brand new one for $100. I was looking to save some money doing the oil change myself but its not working out.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Man, mending plastic when the repair is placed under stress is a bear.

There are rigid plastic repair kits, usually not much more than superglue and a powder.. Some people swear by it, but I have seen poor reviews on that kind of system too..

Lots of stuff like this out there:

Rigid Plastic Repair Kit Black

If it were me I would at least attempt to glue that pin back into place, maybe drill out the peg and install some type of dowel or other fortification between broken parts..

Where did it break? Did the peg snap off the cover, did the peg snap in two pieces, or did the peg break where the pin went through?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the cover cause that was part of the instructiions of the oil change, just forgot to remove the pin at the top. Thanks Mark I'll look into those repair kits, maybe be my best option before purchasing the new cover. The peg broke off the cover so there is nothing left to drill unless I'm being short sited.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Plastic welding using a soldering iron - I would get some abs plumbing fitments for a couple of bucks and practice on those before attempting..

Also, if you have to apply heat to a chrome or exterior panel, you will likely get distortion, so it might not work in this application.. Worth watching tho', might come in handy one day.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Any good exopy should do the trick. You may want to build it up on the back side to add more strength. If you get the epoxy in the hole just drill it out after it gets hard.

· Registered
1,696 Posts
I can't see or visualize what's here, but I might try drilling a small hole through the pin and break so I could thread in a smaller steel screw to help hold the epoxied joint together. Even if it had to come out the chrome side, you might be able to glue a screw in from the outside and it still look nice. I'm thinking like a stainless 4-40 screw or whatever size is appropriate.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I don't think the epoxy will hold since I would be putting a lot of pressure on it when removing it and putting it back. I' see what the hardware store has and maybe drill through the cover. It's a new bike so not sure I'm ready to have a screw head exposed through the chrome cover though I think I could make that work. Maybe I'll just leave the mechanics to the mechanics.

· Registered
1,329 Posts
super glue has held for 20k miles on mine. But next time remember you dont have to take that cover off.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
I would be gluing it.... heat and the chrome will lift off the plastic :)

P.S. If you use a K&N filter they have a nut on the back and it makes it easy to get off so I leave the drive shaft cover on when changing the oil... just get the filter from underneath :)

· Registered
422 Posts
Here is the youtube video I used to teach me how to change the oil. Guess I watched the wrong video and forgot to pull that pin. Live and learn.
2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 oil change - YouTube
So what you broke is the Chrome Cover that hides the Oil Filter...not anything that is actually attached to the engine...correct?

Not trying to be a smart!$$, although some will say I am possibly, but it helps for you to know what you are describing in order for others (on here or out in the real world) to be able to help you. In your 1st post to this thread, you said "I pulled off the left chromed crankcase cover"...this implies you cracked the casing of the crankcase, which will let oil out...but that part you took off is not a "crankcase cover".

Now, having said all of that, I will say this concerning your actual issue..If the "nipple" is broke off flush at the inside of the cover, you can try a good 2 part Epoxy or even JB Weld...just make sure you allow the maximum cure time for either method. If the nipple is broken off all the way through to the front and its leaving a hole in the front of the cover, I would just "eat the mistake" and either buy an OEM replacement or hit up Ebay for a used one...:wink:

· Registered
1,696 Posts
The post at the top with the clip, depending on where it broke, if that is what broke, it looks like there is a long boss on the inside that you'd be able to fill with epoxy to hold the threaded stud you'd screw in axially through the busted off piece (or skip the piece and use a bolt that size, with a hole drilled, I show a stud here, no need to go all the way through).

Attachments

· Registered
4,079 Posts
.... depending on where it broke, if that is what broke, it looks like there is a long boss on the inside that you'd be able to fill with epoxy to hold the threaded stud you'd screw in axially through the busted off piece
while that would work, at the same time, it would be very cumbersome to align the hairpin since you're installing the hairpin blind, but still have to hit the bullseye. On the Oem thingie, the hairpin slips behind a retention barb that captures the hairpin which in turn draws the assembly tight. Also, I doubt that the "crankcase cover" is plastique. I believe metal of some sort.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.