Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water pump on my 92 1100 has started to drip out of the seep hole at the bottom.

I have the Honda service manual, and it says you must remove the engine to replace the water pump.

Have any of you done this, and if so are there any shortcuts/tricks to this?

Thanks for any advice.

Timskinner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tim

I had the same problem a few years ago. The actual waterpump change is easy once you get the engine moved. Get some tie down straps and secure the bike upright. Get a transmission jack or motorcycle jack to position under the engine ( this is to hold the weight of the engine only) remove the carbs, and subframe assembly on the right side of the bike. Once you remove the holding bolts the front of the engine can be moved to the right a few inches and will allow you enough room to remove the waterpump.
Recommend taking your time, and go step by step. If I had to change another one I could do it in 3 hours. good luck

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I got a question.....before you start this pump replacement!

I've had a coolant "seep" from the w-pump hole of my Gold Wing....after I've ridden the bike in the very cold weather (talking 17-20 deg temps here). Put the bike back into garage...got "some" seepage. I thought like you...seal problem. BUT, it was just the "extreme temps" that caused this problem. I keep checking the seep hole(over many days/weeks) and never had it again...till another very cold day ride. :shock: :? But as springtime came around was worried about this but the "seepage" stopped and over the high temp summer months never had a problem.

So all I'm saying is...don't go jumping into this "problem" that may not be. Give it a little time to see if it's a continous "seeping" problem. Very cold air temps really does crazy things to "thin-walled metal" parts on a bike. Yes, I'm aware of the age/mileage of the bike but these bikes are pretty tough overall. Just don't want you to be spending the "dollars" if not really necessary. :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
72 Posts
bullzeyet said:
I've had a coolant "seep" from the w-pump hole of my Gold Wing....after I've ridden the bike in the very cold weather (talking 17-20 deg temps here). Put the bike back into garage...got "some" seepage. I thought like you...seal problem. BUT, it was just the "extreme temps" that caused this problem. I keep checking the seep hole(over many days/weeks) and never had it again...till another very cold day ride. :shock: :? But as springtime came around was worried about this but the "seepage" stopped and over the high temp summer months never had a problem.
Yeah, what he said.
I had a KLR650 do that, only dripped in cold weather. It dripped when cold about the last year I had the bike. I added a little distilled water to the overflow tank, but not enough to raise the freezing point too much. I sold the bike when it had 81,000 miles and never did change the pump seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the advice about waiting, the leak didn't start untill late fall, the temperature was quite cool as I live in North Dakota. I may wait and see what happens this spring.

I am thinking about a newer bike this summer, this one only has 10K miles on it ????

Thanks for the advice, even if I have to do it it doesn't seem to be such a bad job.

I envy you who can ride all year around :D

Thanks Again
Timskinner

·
Registered
76 Posts
gford said:
Tim

I had the same problem a few years ago. The actual waterpump change is easy once you get the engine moved. Get some tie down straps and secure the bike upright. Get a transmission jack or motorcycle jack to position under the engine ( this is to hold the weight of the engine only) remove the carbs, and subframe assembly on the right side of the bike. Once you remove the holding bolts the front of the engine can be moved to the right a few inches and will allow you enough room to remove the waterpump.
Recommend taking your time, and go step by step. If I had to change another one I could do it in 3 hours. good luck
Hi, this is my first post :oops:
I need to remove the water pump and I would like to remove as few components as I can (you know what they say, "if it works, don't touch it!)
This is the only problem I have, so I was wondering about removal of some things. (I have the Hayness manual that says you need to remove half a bike to get the engine off, but the "engine removal" steps are meant to remove the engine for a variety of fixes, not only water pump removal and replacement)

1) Do I need to remove the Radiator?
2) What's about the holding bolts of the sub-frame?
3) Do I need to remove the air cleaner box?
4) Which hoses should I remove?
5) Do I need to drain the oil? (I've recently changed it :( )
6) What do you mean with "front of the engine can be moved to the right a few inches"? Do you mean that I should remove the Water Pump to the front of the bike?
7) Do I need to remove the carburetors at all or just the air cleaner hoses?
8 ) What about the exhausts? Do I need to remove them from the top end?

As I can see on the forum everyone had some kinda problems with the water pump once, there is no guide for changing it without disaembling the whole engine.
Greetings from Argentina, the country where you need to wait 40 days to get a WP Orring (as the official Honda dealer does never have nothing on stock), pay U$D 15 for it, and change it by your own, because no one can afford an engine removal without having to trade their souls with the devil for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sprokets,
1. yes you have to remove the radiator.

2. yes you have to remove the bolts holding the subframe.

3. yes you have to remove the air cleaner box.

4. remove radiator hoses.

5. drain the oil or when you remove the waterpump oil will drain out on the floor.

6. rotate the front of the engine to the right, this gives you enough clearance to remove the waterpump.

7. remove the carbs.

8. remove the exhaust.

this is on a 1994 VT1100C shadow

Gary

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same exact thing on my 86 Shadow 1100. What I did was take everything off listed above. I put a jack under the motor and strapped the motor to a cherry picker. I removed all the motor mounts and took the spacer out of the rear bottom one so the engine would hinge down and to the right so I could replace the pump. Good luck...its not that bad and youll have alot better understanding of you bike when all is said and done. There are alot of link to specific bike that is break apart in case you need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts