Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago someone mentioned a type of spray wax that they used on their bike. ( I believe it was a common household product) I forgot to mark it down and was going to try it on my shadow 500.
Did they use it on just the painted surfaces or chrome and wheels as well ?
Tks. Rewind.

:D

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
"Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Unfortunately, PLEDGE® Lemon Furniture Polish has not been tested for use on painted motorcycle finishes so we cannot recommend it. Please use the product according to label directions as we cannot guarantee how the product will perform for uses or purposes other than those we have tested."

The silicon in pledge is what gives paint that wet look. I have a problem in that I cannot find info on the PH level that may be too acidic for my bikes.

The product does clean/shine a bike and if you don't keep bikes for a long time I don't think its a problem. I also know people who use dish soap and other household cleaners but I don't.

There is lots of anecdotal evidence that Pledge is OK but, again, I don't know how long these people keep their bikes and, as shown I keep mine a long, long time. Note all bikes in pics have original paint (Norton is fibreglass tank) and all have at least 50k miles. No garage queens. GW has 180k miles.

G.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're free to use what you want. I will say that I have used Pledge forever it seems like. Not just on my bikes but in my trucks. I will use it forever. LOL I even use the ones that come in the wipes to keep in the saddlebags along with a rag for those days I'm out and about and the can isn't handy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I started using Specialty Surface Pledge, which is touted for use on stainless steel, finished wood, sealed granite, and leather. I use it on everything but the tires and the brake disc. Not supposed to have a waxy build-up. Doesn't make the seat slippery. Has a clean scent.

Here's the skinny from SC Johnson: Stainless Steel Clean | Marble & Granite | Pledge®

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, I use Lemon Pledge on every part of the bike, even the tires. It also does a great job on the windshields and removing bug splatters!. I always keep a can of it in my GoldWing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would suggest a product called (Ace-it). Wipe on wipe off. You can use it on painted surfaces, chrome and your windshields.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Use the Multi Purpose Pledge .... Great stuff...

Carry a can on all three bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts