Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some saddle bags but before I put them on I just decided I don't want saddle bags. So after I sell them I want to find just a luggage bag to mount behind me. My questions is: After I've done some research it seems that the only way I can mount the bag is to a luggage rack, but a luggage rack can only mount to a sissy bar.

Is that correct? I don't really want the sissy bar but is that the only way the luggage rack fits on the bike? Here's what I have in mind as to what I want for luggage...

http://www.chromeworld.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={8a0f8617-e104-486e-b71e-e33cfe12d55a}&gid={7fba23fa-3106-4f6f-a452-d83a7b5c9b24}&GroupName=Honda+Shadow+Aero+750+Saddlebags+and+Bags&pname=Mustang+Journey+Bag+-+No+Studs&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

So am I gonna have to get the sissy bar as well? Or is there other luggage that doesn't require either? Any help is appreciated...as always!

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
No Sissy Bar needed

No sissy bar required. A couple of examples below. You can mount a luggage rack with out a sissy bar. However, I do like the support by CE Smith and that may be in my future when touring.

Tour Bag on Hondaline luggage rack - no sissy bar

Tour Bag on seat – no sissy bar

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Don

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No sissy bar required. A couple of examples below. You can mount a luggage rack with out a sissy bar. However, I do like the support by CE Smith and that may be in my future when touring.

Tour Bag on Hondaline luggage rack - no sissy bar

Tour Bag on seat – no sissy bar

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Don
..thank you guys for the links....so how does it mount then? I don't want it to be rubbing on my rear fender during a trip to reno or something ya know? Especially cuz it's getting painted here in a month or so...appreciate the input tho!

·
Registered
228 Posts
..thank you guys for the links....so how does it mount then? I don't want it to be rubbing on my rear fender during a trip to reno or something ya know? Especially cuz it's getting painted here in a month or so...appreciate the input tho!
The luggage rack mounts to rear carrier mounts shown in the pic. Just picture this without the sissy bar and saddle bag mounts. Nothing rides on the fender. Actually, when I take a trip I remove the rear seat and mount the tour bag with a pad under it on the fender, just to keep everything lower in height.

Don

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so basically I can get away with just a luggage rack and whatever bag I choose...is that correct? I'm sorry for beating this question, but I'm still not quite understanding where it would mount without the sissy bar.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yup, you can get away with just the luggage rack and whatever bag you choose. You can find luggage racks that bolt directly to your rear fender support struts. There are all kinds of options out there. The following two links are for the Hondaline accessories that would be required for just a luggage rack for your 750 Ace. This setup would also allow you to add a sissy bar at a later time.

Hondaline Chrome Rear Carrier - 750 Aero/Spirit 750 C2 for Honda 750 Shadow Aero RTI01 <----- The luggage rack itself

Hondaline Chrome Backrest/Rear Carrier Mounting Brackets for 750 Aero for Honda 750 Shadow Aero RTI08 <------ The mounting and support hardware

Now I believe this would allow for the luggage rack AND sissy bar to be installed together. I am not 100% on that though.

There are all kinds of aftermarket options to choose from for similar results.

Happy shopping!

FreakShow

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Pony,
I can't remember who makes it but there is a quick release sissy/luggage rack out there that is great. One of the guys that works for me has one. He mounts his bag on it and rides to work. When he gets there he doesn't even take the bag off. He just grabs the whole backrest, bag still tied on and brings it in the job trailer.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pony,
I can't remember who makes it but there is a quick release sissy/luggage rack out there that is great. One of the guys that works for me has one. He mounts his bag on it and rides to work. When he gets there he doesn't even take the bag off. He just grabs the whole backrest, bag still tied on and brings it in the job trailer.
This sounds pretty much exactly what I would want. If you happen to remember can you ask him what brand and what it's called?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.