Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some people just talk out of thier $$$ without thinking . Could you imagine riding a motorcycle with a red hot engine , It would be melting the aluminum ......

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hi all, as an extension of this discussion: 2003 Honda ACE 750cd backfiring not starting without throttle | Honda Shadow Forums , I thought I would break it down into the moving parts. I recently determined that I definitely had a weak AGM battery from the PO even though he said it was one year old. He neve rode. It was dead and I mistakenly charged it at very high amps so it was probably crap for one of those reasons. Stock exhaust came with bluing headers.

I bought a factory activated Wolftech AGM that is supposedly made by Yuasa in China . It tested weak but they said its fine. Voltage dipped to 10.5 on starting so I ditched it. Don't recommend these. Bought a freshly activated Genuine Yuasa at three times the price 2 days ago. I charged it and gave it a good run at 80-100kmh for 40 minutes. The resting voltage is 13volts and hits 14.4 when revved. My stator tested up to 60 volts when revved, and continuity tested fine. This side seems a lot better.

Question is, could the weak old battery have caused the brand new NGK DPRea8-9 to carbon foul after a few hundred kilometers? Once fouled, would they cause the gently burbly "backfire" I am hearing on decel in lower gears even with the new battery in place?

My working hypothesis is weak spark, combined with a possible lean condition. These are factory lean and I'm 99% sure the bike is still fully stock, including intake and carb wise. New HiFLo Filtro air filter. I thought I would eliminate the weak spark/ignition side before diving into intake and carb.

If I clean the plugs with carb cleaner and wire brush (regap if necessary) will that assist in diagnosis, or must ditch fouled plugs to get an honest diagnosis? The PO's old standard OEM Denso plugs were perfect looking, but misfiring. I recall that Denso's might be hotter firing that the equivalent NGK. Is it safe to put in hotter NGK DPR-ea7-9 now that the cooler temps are here if I can't easily find Denso's.

Have a great riding day and looking forward to anyone's input!

P.S Where the HELL can I buy a spark plug socket that actually fits down the hole! I bought 2 18mm plug sockets that are too fat, and a tool from Royal distributing that is too short.
I seriously doubt that a bad battery would cause any problem after the engine is running provided the charging system is working properly. Now if your bike is drawing more power than the charging system can replace, that could cause some problems.

The OEM plug tools can be found at Babbets and Partzilla.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 22 of 22 Posts