Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my handle bar risers got bent (the bars were locked and I went to straighten them out and didn't know my own strength) and I ordered two new ones because I didn't want to take any chances of these being weakened. Well while I was waiting for the parts to come in, I was looking at the bike and was thinking about what to do about the scratches on the tank. The wife and I had seen a few bike that were flat in color and really like how they looked. We talked about it and decided to fix the scratches. We started last weekend and finished up yesterday.

Here is what the bike looked like before we started (the pipes were changed two months ago):

Started to sand the tank with 00 steel wool and then moved to 0000 steel wool:

The gas tank with some paint:

Front fender painted:

Flat clear coat going on:

Rear fender sanded and painted:

The bike naked:

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Just about together:

All done:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Fixing up a bike with old scratched and/or faded paint is exactly what a nice home sprayed flat black paint job is for. Congrats to you. It looks great, and I'm sure was super cheap to do. On the other hand it cracks me up when I see a guy buy a brand new bike, and pay extra for flat black just because it is all the rage right now. :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Came out good.

I'm thinking about doing the same to my (red) shadow. Might go a long way to making it look less old and used.

What kind of paint did you use?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
looks good.
im in the process of doin my bike in the same ol flat black paint job...long story but i messed up my nice glossy black finish and didnt have the money to pay a guy to paint it..so im doin it myself with primer and flat black..i have pics of my bike when i 1st got it,a pic of after i messed up the paint by takin off the stickers off the tank,then repainted it,but could still see where the stickers were at..so i tried to sand it down again and really messed it all up..so today i took the bike completely apart(see pics in album) and sanded fenders/side covers down,and used aircraft stripper to completely take the tank to bare metal..washed it several times..dried it and reprimered it using rustolieum primer and rustolieum flat black,,tank is messed up so i had to sand it some more and now have to repaint it tomorrow..will def post pics when im done,provided it turns out good.it seems this ol skool flat black paint job is catching on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.