Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it doesnt happen all the time. and it doesnt matter what the weather is like.

randomly it will downshift by itself. (yea i know it sounds weird) usually from 3rd to 2nd. just after i upshifted i start to accelerate and with no sound no clunk it downshifts. almost smooth like. had it go from 4th to 3rd also.

the other weird one is it really likes to go to neutral randomly. had it go into neutral while shifting going from 3rd to 4th more then any other gear shift.

ive checked the clutch. checked the adjustment.

now what i mean by randomly. i can go a day a week a month. i never know when its going to happen but it does.and ive tried different shifting techniques.

thought you guys might like this brain stormer. me and my riding friends are clueless. and theyve actually experianced it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Never had mine downshift but have had it kick into neutral once or twice. Always when I was shifting without the clutch. It was like it didn't fully engage the gear and found a sweet spot in between gears to pop back to.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner may have shifted w/o using the clutch and did it incorrectly. I had a Ninja that had been slammed into 2nd too many times w/o the clutch and it would pop back into neutral if I didn't hold it in gear.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
These issues are significant and usually just get worse.

It might be a bent shift fork and/or worn gear pins/dogs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can say this i got the bike it had 2400 miles on it. and the previous owner dropped it. salvage title. only thing wrong was a tiny scrap on the front fender, crushed driving light, scraped along the edge of the wind screen. broken mirror, saddle bag torn, and the throttle cables scraped. other then that to me this was all cosmetic so who knows how the guy drove it.

so the damage that was done was all on the brake side not the shifting. also this didnt start happening till over a year having the bike.

bent shift fork? how would that happen if i may ask? worn gear pins or dogs a possibility. since i almost got 10k miles now on it :p

gremlin bell huh?? thought about that also lol.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When was the last time you did an oil change on the bike? What kind of oil did you use if you did get an oil change recently?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive ran synthetic since i got it. i forget the brand but it wasnt a cheap run of the mill kind. and if i remember the brand was one that was recommended on this site. reminds me oil change is due.
knowing my luck its the oil isnt it?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
bent shift fork is usually operator error, likely when catching the clutch between the shift.

10k miles is not enough to have excessive wear unless not well maintained or some other defect.

It could be helped with an oil change. It could also be wear on a couple other components. I might try a different oil if a simple change does not help.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It might also be a left foot problem. Sometimes called lazy foot. Usually called a mis-shift. You might check the shift linkages and make sure they are tight and not loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts