Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the p/o's sissy bar and rear seat off my '00 vlx600 this afternoon to give the bike more of a stripped-down look, but when I was going to screw one of the bolts back in to the side of the rear fender (holds the chrome piece with the turn signal sticking out of it), the thing just WOULD NOT thread! And when it would thread, it would cross-thread at a horrible angle. So I just left the one bolt out until I figure out how to secure that point. All the other ones went in alright after a little gun oil.

Anyone ever have any problem like that before?

· Registered
4,689 Posts
nsshirai said:
I took the p/o's sissy bar and rear seat off my '00 vlx600 this afternoon to give the bike more of a stripped-down look, but when I was going to screw one of the bolts back in to the side of the rear fender (holds the chrome piece with the turn signal sticking out of it), the thing just WOULD NOT thread! And when it would thread, it would cross-thread at a horrible angle. So I just left the one bolt out until I figure out how to secure that point. All the other ones went in alright after a little gun oil.

Anyone ever have any problem like that before?
Did you try a "known good" bolt in the bad hole, and vis versa?
I have had luck swapping bolts - sometimes I think it is slightly irregular threads on both components that will not allow bolt to thread in properly.

· Registered
46 Posts
I found out the hard way when I did a similar maneuver. I took the saddlebags off. When I put the bolts back in they wouldn't seat right so I cranked it-stripped it. Then I had to take the fender off to tap them out. The nut that is welded on is not threaded all the way through. I guess Honda didn't want a long bolt to go in and cut the tire. Then to put it back on, I loose fit all the bolts first, then tightened them. Hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.