Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders,

My name is Joel Johnson and I live in Northern VA. The DC traffic is crazy, and I am a new rider. My wife and I purchased a 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 last weekend. I have my learners permit, am working through the MSF BRC booklet, and trying to adjust my carb so it stops popping and backfiring on decel. The owner put straight pipes on it and I do not think adjusted the carb properly. This is where I am at, and I look forward to being a part of this community!

-Joel Johnson

·
Registered
748 Posts
Any modifications done to the air box or exhaust? First place to start would be to turn out the A/F idle circuit screw first. Check in the general disc. stickies to see if there is a manual you can down load for your bike.
Welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave

There is no air box mod just the straight pipe exhaust. I have been reviewing many of the posts related to A/F adjustments and re-jetting. I need to buy a tach, but last night I did adjust the A/F screws three turns out from lightly seated and went for a ride. It seemed to help, but my plan is to put the stock exhaust back on, give the carb a good cleaning, and adjust the A/F per the service manual. We'll see how she runs after that. I have the owners manual and the Service Manual. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Welcome! As Dave said you need to see what the A/F screws are set at. If they are more then 3 1/2 turns out you may need larger pilot jets. Also make sure the pipes are tight at the heads .... an airleak there can cause popping/backfiring too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy the Forum!

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Welcome! You are right traffic up there is crazy!
Now post up a pic of your ride!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome bud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How to edit a thread title you started???

After tons of searching and trying - I finally have a signature picture of my bike. Thanks to all who have posted about how to do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts