Discussion Starter #1
so i broke aq piece of my cover
the one that covers the starter gears.
honda
shadow
vt1100 c
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AHJtdOXmjuGjd
i tried epoxy and it broke back off.
i dont think im going to be able to weld it with inner shield mig.
please help if you know where to get a replacement, or how to repair this.
thanks

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
The material is aluminum, and no, you won't MIG weld it.
It can be repaired by a someone experienced in welding aluminum. That break should be fairly easy to fix.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
As long as is its not cast alum. then its an easy fix with a tig welder. i would take it to a shop.

Can you post a pic of the side of the break. I'll be able to tell you if its cast or not.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its good to know it might be weldable.
i dont have a tig welder though.
i updated the stream (see link in OP) with a side shot. thanks
from the texture of the metal on the break surface it seems awfully cast.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Ok. Here is the thing with cast. In some cases it is weldable. It depends how much metal there is to weld to and how good the welder is doing the job.

Here is the bad. Its anyones guess on how long it will last. I say this because that is a small piece that is broken off. The pics aren't that great; but it does look casty..lol

I'm all about repairing something if it can be done right and permantly. If I were you 51mm, I would get a new cover. Its up to you. But also keep in mind when you are thinking about what to do; is that the stator cover doesn't hold oil like the clutch side. So welding it might be ok to do. But you could have warping issues if it welded.

Its a judgement call dude. Its up to you. I would buy another one if they're available. If not...weld that fvkr...lol

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Have someone TIG weld it using a high frequency box. I've been welding since I was around 5 or 6 years old. If I were you, I would take it to a welding shop. I'd bet money that it is repairable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
wow that sucks, Hope you can weld it back together. :(

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I'm dumb, but is that left or right side. Can the mechanisms on the inside be transferred to another cover?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Not at all Dad.
Its The left side. And yes it can be moved to another cover.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i just found the starter cover for 30$ on ebay.
i think that answers my question.
even if i could get it welded, it would most likely run me more than $30.
thanks for all of your help guys.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
ok i just found the starter cover for 30$ on ebay.
i think that answers my question.
even if i could get it welded, it would most likely run me more than $30.
thanks for all of your help guys.
I found em too last night but didn't know if it was left or right side or if the inner works could be moved. Your pics made the inner works appear to be "fix" to the inside of the cover. But as I have said before, I'm only a basic wrench, and still learning.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
^^^ even they are fixed, the new/used cover would have them in it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the innards slide rite out.
the bearings are pressed in, but they can be popped out too with the right tool.

·
Registered
73 Posts
See Pics. It appears yours is black, this is silver (not chrome - raw aluminum color). You can even have the remnants of the OEM gasket. :mrgreen:

Let me know if you would like to see additional images. Shouldn't cost more than $15 to ship. Yours - shipped - for $15.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts