Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never dropped a bike in 40 years of riding. Today I had a Dr. appointment and went on the bike. His parking lot is on a grade. I debated which way to park. One way the bike would be too upright, and the other it would be leaned way over. I compromised and parked it diagonally in the space.

For some reason, instead of getting off the left side, I got off on the right side. As I was exiting, I felt the bike come with me and it went down on the right side. I'm like "Now what?" But I was surpised at how easily I was able to pick it up. Also surprised at how much oil came out in just a few seconds. Fortunately no damage to anything but my pride.

Heart rate was up during my check-up. Wonder why?

I feel I got off lucky and am a little more humble now.

Jim

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't think my body would understand how to remove itself to the right side of the bike even if my mind explained it carefully.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Glad it was an easy lesson. I've ridden close to that long as well, and NEVER have gotten off on the right side. I would not even know how to approach that since exiting is all muscle memory.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
There is really no choice while parking on a grade. The bike must be in gear and the front wheel must point uphill. This applies even on a slight grade. I'd also chock the rear wheel with something...rock etc on a steeper grade. Getting off a bike on the right side is not a good idea. ;) By the way, if you park on a grade with the front wheel pointing downhill and you happen to forget to put it in gear, chances are you'll return to find it several feet from where you parked it and laying on it's side (at best).

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Glad you're OK and the bike too.
I also get off on the right side most of the time, just easier to lift my left leg than to stand on it and balance well with my back problems, didn't take long to get used to it just have to make sure that stand is down good and I don't pull on the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I've had a chance to replay this in my mind, I realize I did not get off on the right side. In fact, I've tried it and can't do it. I got off on the left and the bike went over and I couldn't stop it. I walked around to the right side and picked it up.

Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Two classes of bikers, them that has and them that's going to! Between miles of gravel, various animals and riding scrambles and trials I would guess I have been off more than most, you just get back on fix the dents and keep on going. Glad you didn't get hurt.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I never get off on the left side. To me it is just not the natural thing to do. I think it has been in my mind from the beginning. I saw a kickstand let go many years ago and it pined the guy as he was getting off. So maybe that is the reason for me.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I never get off on the left side. To me it is just not the natural thing to do. I think it has been in my mind from the beginning. I saw a kickstand let go many years ago and it pined the guy as he was getting off. So maybe that is the reason for me.
Think about it this way, if you slip and pull the bike on top of you would you rather pull red hot steel pipes onto your body or not?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
To the OP,
Are you sure it was oil that leaked? If so check to make sure that oil level dipstick is tight. You shouldn't have had any oil loss unless you cracked something.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I hate when that happens.

But better you than me. ;-)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Now that I've had a chance to replay this in my mind, I realize I did not get off on the right side. In fact, I've tried it and can't do it. I got off on the left and the bike went over and I couldn't stop it. I walked around to the right side and picked it up.
Jim
I've picked up many bikes (lighter) from my dirt riding days of past, and have no idea how walking around to the "uphill side" of bike to pick it up, leaning over it and pulling it toward you would not break your back.

What ever the case, glad you are OK.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Yep. So much more natural climbing over the high side toward the hot exhaust pipes with the bike leaning away from you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep. So much more natural climbing over the high side toward the hot exhaust pipes with the bike leaning away from you.
Yup. On from the left side. Off on the right. With bike firmly on the side stand, of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.