Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past two years I've ridden in every month of the year. During the late fall/winter/early spring the only thing that reduces the amount of time spent riding was my finger tips would get painfully cold. Other than that problem, I''m fine down to the mid 30's.

So, I just bought a pair of Fly Racing Ignitor heated gloves. Like the fact they are battery powered (no cords) and they seem to have good reviews. Appears battery life is around 2-4 hours depending on heat setting. Hope this will allow me to get out more during the colder weather as I hate walking past the bike just sitting in the garage.

Next task will be to see if anyone makes a charger that will plug into the battery tender pigtail I have on the bike.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'm guessing if you read the details of your charger, it's already charging @12VDC-15VDC, which is what your 'tender is putting out. A second charger is $17 from Revzilla and you could find a splitter for the 'tender. It wouldn't be that difficult to wire up. Or, you could just plug the gloves charger into the same outlet as the tender.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I like the looks of those gloves, I might have to ask for a pair for my birthday.
I should have asked this of you before I ordered one a little while ago, but are you
still happy with your ph customs tank bib?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing if you read the details of your charger, it's already charging @12VDC-15VDC, which is what your 'tender is putting out. A second charger is $17 from Revzilla and you could find a splitter for the 'tender. It wouldn't be that difficult to wire up. Or, you could just plug the gloves charger into the same outlet as the tender.
I'll have to do some studying on this. I was wanting to be able to charge the batteries when out on the road. The charger that comes with the gloves is for 110 volts. Seems like Fly Racing should have thought of this and offered a 12 volt rated charger.

I like the looks of those gloves, I might have to ask for a pair for my birthday.
I should have asked this of you before I ordered one a little while ago, but are you
still happy with your ph customs tank bib?
Yes, still happy with the tank bib. Fit is great, no flapping around. So far it has held up well, no sun fading or drying out. Would buy one again if I ever needed to.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'll have to do some studying on this. I was wanting to be able to charge the batteries when out on the road. The charger that comes with the gloves is for 110 volts. Seems like Fly Racing should have thought of this and offered a 12 volt rated charger.
Yeah, 110V-AC INPUT...the side that plugs into the wall! You're concerned about the OUTPUT of that charger. Chances are, these are the same glove-batteries they use for snowmobiles, which also run 12V charging systems. :)

I'm not familiar with your particular device, but chances are it's 12VDC-15VDC, like your battery tender. I would think they would use ~14.4V batteries rather than 18V or 24V batteries (think cordless drills). You might not find a direct plug-in adapter to accomplish this, but it shouldn't be difficult.

I hope I'm making sense here?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks! Now the problem will be when the new bib shows up and the wife asks "What have you bought now?":nerd:

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, 110V-AC INPUT...the side that plugs into the wall! You're concerned about the OUTPUT of that charger. Chances are, these are the same glove-batteries they use for snowmobiles, which also run 12V charging systems. :)

I'm not familiar with your particular device, but chances are it's 12VDC-15VDC, like your battery tender. I would think they would use ~14.4V batteries rather than 18V or 24V batteries (think cordless drills). You might not find a direct plug-in adapter to accomplish this, but it shouldn't be difficult.

I hope I'm making sense here?
Oh yeah, I understand. I just ordered them so when they get here I'll have a better idea what is needed. They appear to use a 'standard' lithium battery. The name starts with a G, Gerbing or something like that. Snowmobile sites might be a place to start looking. Don't know what they call the plug that is on a tender but it would be nice to find something that would just plug into that type of connector.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Says here the battery is 7.4-volt lithium-ion. I don't think you can charge that from a 12v system. Fly Racing Ignitor Gloves Review | Rider Magazine
Yeah it would have to be some kind of a 'step down' charger. Seems if Fly Racing provides a 110 volt charger something could be found to charge a 7.4 volt battery with 12 volts. Maybe the best way to start my search is to contact Fly Racing and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If it's 7.4V, they almost certainly do have an onboard charger. Next question is, how much?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I got a set of Gerbing heated gloves off eBay a couple years ago. BEST 'cold weather gear' investment I've made!! It was $80 WELL spent!! I used to get cold fingers at about freezing temps, then got a set of the clear handguards, which let me get down to about 20, but with the heated gloves, so far, I've gotten down to 13 degrees, and STILL riding!! The ONLY time I'm NOT riding, is when there's snow or slush on the roads. It's not because I can't handle it, though it gets REALLY 'squirrelly', but more that I'm concerned about the OTHER idiots on the road, who have no clue how to drive in that stuff, running me over, pulling out in front of me, or making me crash!!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a set of Gerbing heated gloves off eBay a couple years ago. BEST 'cold weather gear' investment I've made!! It was $80 WELL spent!! I used to get cold fingers at about freezing temps, then got a set of the clear handguards, which let me get down to about 20, but with the heated gloves, so far, I've gotten down to 13 degrees, and STILL riding!! The ONLY time I'm NOT riding, is when there's snow or slush on the roads. It's not because I can't handle it, though it gets REALLY 'squirrelly', but more that I'm concerned about the OTHER idiots on the road, who have no clue how to drive in that stuff, running me over, pulling out in front of me, or making me crash!!
That's the name I've seen describing the battery the Fly Racing gloves use, Gerbing. I'll have to check their website out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm curious to find out how well the gloves heat and how long it really lasts. I've read bad things about battery powered gloves.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
That's the name I've seen describing the battery the Fly Racing gloves use, Gerbing. I'll have to check their website out.
The connector to the battery packs looks the same as the coax connectors I plug into on the bike battery. The only thing is that with gloves you would need to get the long Y-cable to connect both gloves to the one connector on the bike battery. That's how I do it with my gloves. The Y-cable goes up through my jacket, down the sleeves, and then into the gloves, with the 'disconnect' point at the seat on the bike that the bottom of the Y-cable plugs into. It should work for you, too, I would think, to plug into the bike.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The connector to the battery packs looks the same as the coax connectors I plug into on the bike battery. The only thing is that with gloves you would need to get the long Y-cable to connect both gloves to the one connector on the bike battery. That's how I do it with my gloves. The Y-cable goes up through my jacket, down the sleeves, and then into the gloves, with the 'disconnect' point at the seat on the bike that the bottom of the Y-cable plugs into. It should work for you, too, I would think, to plug into the bike.
I'm just looking to be able to plug them in if/when stopped to top off the batteries if needed, not to run them continuously off the bike's battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I may need some heated gloves too, and some chaps or other heated "pants"

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
16 Participants
"Captain D"
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing