Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that I am CRAZY for using rotella in my VLX.When I brought the oil and filter in to pay for the oil change he absolutely gave me like a 20 minute lecture about cheaping out on ones bike,that it was tractor oil (well I knew that) and that getting mechanical advice from a forum or Internet is just stupid,and that never,ever under any circumstances would he run that oil in a motorcycle...I showed him the JASO seal,and explained it wasn't just "some guy on a forum" but indeed had a "cult following" for lack of a better term,and that you could find a 1000 threads about it...That being said he is a great certified motorcycle mechanic,and very honest so didn't really want to argue with the man or if I should argue with a mechanic about this subject.....
......just hope he isn't correct :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change mechanics or learn to do your own oil changes so that he won't be tempted to lecture about common sense things.
Well I can do my own oil changes,but got some new rubber (Dunlop OEM) on the front,an air filter,LED lights on the plate,and just had him change the oil while he was at it.I think Im just gonna do my own oil changes and let him do the stuff I cannot.
He also said to never use regular oil...
To use "dino" not synthetic...
and that fram oil filters suck...(Well I have heard that before)
Anywho I thought it was common knowledge but I guess not :eek:,and even though he thinks I (READ ALL OF THE INTERNET) am crazy,he really is a good mechanic,just a little set in his ways I guess.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Fram's do suck. Look anywhere and everywhere will tell you they are JUNK. Lots of MC mechanics will say to use dino. On a wet clutch synthetic can be too slippery sometimes. Nothing wrong with synthetic though just taking a calculated risk.

As far as rotella goes. It's fine but I won't run 20w in my bike. Talked to too many mechanics that have had problems with shadows running 20w. 10w40 is all the bike needs. PLus I can get Lucas semi synth. for the same price as getting rotella. I also run a super tech filter too.

T.C.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I use Supertech filters and 5w-40w Rotella synthetic for 18000 mi. with no problems. Both available @ Walmart for $22 total.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have been using Rotella and the cheapest dino option I can in my dirt bike for years without issue, Grant it it gets changed every 3-4 rides so that's why the cheap stuff but in the dirt on a high revving bike the dino oil doesn't get the chance to break down, it will be laoded with mud and water long before that happens.

Dauntae

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Not only do a lot of motorcycle owners use Rotella in their bikes, I know of a lot of people who use them in their ATVs too (myself included, and my 2007 Suzuki King Quad has over 2k miles of hard offroad use, oil gets changed about every season, sometimes twice). It's a good oil.

Curious, what brand did your mechanic recommend then?

·
Registered
569 Posts
ive been running whatever brand of syn is cheapest in all my vehicles for a long long time. with 130k on the dakota, 140k on the matrix, 20k on the klr and 98k on the valk, changed every 5k, they all run quiet and well. i think your mechanic would like to sell you some oil at $10 a quart, just like my dealer likes to sell his knobby tires (for the klr) at $135 when they can be bought on line for half that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Opinions on oil and filters bring out the passion in a lot of folks! I have a GL1500 Goldwing with over 113K miles and climbing. When it was new I wanted the very best for my "baby." I ran Mobil-1. Since about 80K miles ago I did some research and switched to "heavy duty" 15w-40 oils. Sure, the main market for these oils is the diesel truck and tractor market, but they do carry API classifications for gasoline engines as well and according to an article in the Wing World magazine a few years ago by the GWRRA's top technical adviser, Stu Oltman, these oils are very well suited for our motorcycle engines with wet clutches. In another article he wrote about a fellow winger that had achieved over 350K miles on a GL1500. When asked what oil he used the guy said a "store branded 15w-40 heavy duty diesel oil." I love the way this stuff performs in my wing and plan on using it in my wife's new Aero. I had been running the Walmart Super Tech 15w-40 with great results, but I am using Mobil Delvac 15w-40 now because I caught it on sale for less. I change at around 5 to 6K miles depending on my travel plans. Side note concerning the Super Tech oil filters. I have used them for years as well, but recently their design has changed that has me concerned. If you will notice the inside "pipe" on the new ST filters now have tiny little slits instead of larger holes for the oil to flow through. It may not make any difference at all, I have no way to test it, it just bugs me. I'm thinking about switching to the Purolator L14610 (long) or L14612 (short) filters for only about a buck fifty more than an ST.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The other way to look at it after I'v been thinking about this topic is that I believe you have a good mechanic. Based solely on the fact that he does care. I've had ok to decent mechanics before that would try anything goofy or out of the ordinary. The best mechanics I've ever had will do things tried and true and not try every new gimick on the market.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with you guys,and yes I believe he is honest,just stubborn.I do not think he is trying to sell me amsoil (that they keep) but he simply suggested a motorcycle oil.peroid....When I mentioned using regular automotive oil (mobil 1) and the bike he just flipped,even worse than he did with the rotella,lmao!!! Basically he wants me to use motorcycle oil...oh well,maybe next time I will take him 3 quarts of rotella in amsoil jugs :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does the name brand of oil really matter? The formulation should be what is important. I can understand the importance of classifications and agree on the importance of following the engine manufactures recommendations. I personally don't really think the oil brand name makes any difference. In North America the Society of Automotive Engineers sets standards for oil quality. Following the correct viscosity and classification is all that matters in my book. Do you ever notice we don't hear / see a lot of this passion in regard to gear oils?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Brands do matter to an extent because of their additives. My grandpa used to sell Archer before he passed. He went to a couple of conferences and hated penzoil. Said it was crap and that anyone could use anything besides it and be ok. Something about it would gum up when it got too hot or something.

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
Q{Something about it would gum up when it got too hot or something.}Q

Nobody has even mentioned Quaker State??? LOL!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I am running 87 octane,rotella t5,and a shot of marvel mystery oil at oil change time...what about plugs guys?are NGK iridium or other brands any better than tried and true,good plian ol NGK's?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts