Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know this isn't honda related, but I think y'all will get a kick out of it.... I recently traded in my shadow for an '06 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic

I really love the bike and it is comfortable as all hell.

I took it yesterday for its first ride outside of going to and from work. It was 375 miles round trip going from Killeen, TX to San Angelo, TX. Just to donate a $10 fire truck toy to a toys for tots event...( Whatever excuse we can use to ride right?) I love the bike as the miles just seemed to float away as the motor hummed along, but I ran into two problems so to speak along the way... Problem #1... I forgot my mp3 player, so I was stuck listening to radio along the way which left me in the middle of Texas only able to pick up George Strait's Christmas Special Marathon!... TO HELL WITH A WHITE CHRISTMAS!!! and problem #2... The way the air moves around the bike caused a vaccume in between me and the windshield anything that was low moving air came up and hit me in my face... On the way back after being fueled up by a jalapeno stuffed bacon cheese burger I had gas... BAD and every 10-15 minutes I was getting hit in the face with some of the nastiest farts god has unleashed upon this place we call earth... I almost fell over it was so bad...

Either way it was still a great ride!

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
:neutral: ... ??? ... Sounds like a typical ride to me .. ...??? ..What was your issue again?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Live by the jalapeno and cheese...die by the jalapeno and cheese.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've not done this in years but I always thought that pickled eggs and beer was the absolute worst

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
phew ;P

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Wow! When something like this passes for "General Discussion" you know it must be winter. Come on spring!;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! When something like this passes for "General Discussion" you know it must be winter. Come on spring!;)
Not just General Discussion, but General BIKE Discussion...:mrgreen:

The trip however let me realize how much fun long distance riding can be when not on the interstate! This was the first chance I have been able to do that and I plan on doing it a lot more when possible.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Okay, so I know this isn't honda related, but I think y'all will get a kick out of it.... I recently traded in my shadow for an '06 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic

I really love the bike and it is comfortable as all hell.

I took it yesterday for its first ride outside of going to and from work. It was 375 miles round trip going from Killeen, TX to San Angelo, TX. Just to donate a $10 fire truck toy to a toys for tots event...( Whatever excuse we can use to ride right?) I love the bike as the miles just seemed to float away as the motor hummed along, but I ran into two problems so to speak along the way... Problem #1... I forgot my mp3 player, so I was stuck listening to radio along the way which left me in the middle of Texas only able to pick up George Strait's Christmas Special Marathon!... TO HELL WITH A WHITE CHRISTMAS!!! and problem #2... The way the air moves around the bike caused a vaccume in between me and the windshield anything that was low moving air came up and hit me in my face... On the way back after being fueled up by a jalapeno stuffed bacon cheese burger I had gas... BAD and every 10-15 minutes I was getting hit in the face with some of the nastiest farts god has unleashed upon this place we call earth... I almost fell over it was so bad...

Either way it was still a great ride!
Good to hear you took a nice Ride, that's just about as far as it is from where i sit to San Diego, a Trip i would have taken.

I take my mp3 player with me on every ride as certainly as i take my Keys and Cellphone, it's that integral a part in my riding. I felt the frustration as if i had forgotten to take mine on the Ride and it was NOT a good feeling :-x
But had i been on my New bike i would have still been very happy, regardless.

The "Vacuum" you feel between you and the windshield is interesting, that means it is "Still" in front of you and there is air rushing around you.
I would get Lowers anyway for that Bike so while doing that i would ask around at the Harley dealership about ways to make that better on your bike,
why reinvent the wheel, they will know.
Lowers may or may not take cake of it but they will benefit you and look great too. For objects to get "sucked" into the Vacuum there must be at least
2 openings, one for air to get in and one for air to get out.

I take it the Bike had been fully cleared and accepted into the Military, so to speak, and that now you on looking forward to that extended furlough (Vacation)?

Congrats on your first major Ride! btw, you already got me beat on distance
from point "A".....> miles ;)

Greg

·
Registered
467 Posts
Funny you should mention this problem. I had a terrible cold and went to see the doctor last week. He asked if anything else was wrong, and I explained that with the cold I keep leaving silent farts that don't stink... and that I left several while in his office speaking to him! He gave me some pills to take every day and said to come back in three days. In three days I returned and explained that my cold cleared up, but my farts stink so bad. He said, good, your sinuses cleared up and now we have to work on your hearing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear you took a nice Ride, that's just about as far as it is from where i sit to San Diego, a Trip i would have taken.

I take my mp3 player with me on every ride as certainly as i take my Keys and Cellphone, it's that integral a part in my riding. I felt the frustration as if i had forgotten to take mine on the Ride and it was NOT a good feeling :-x
But had i been on my New bike i would have still been very happy, regardless.

The "Vacuum" you feel between you and the windshield is interesting, that means it is "Still" in front of you and there is air rushing around you.
I would get Lowers anyway for that Bike so while doing that i would ask around at the Harley dealership about ways to make that better on your bike,
why reinvent the wheel, they will know.
Lowers may or may not take cake of it but they will benefit you and look great too. For objects to get "sucked" into the Vacuum there must be at least
2 openings, one for air to get in and one for air to get out.

I take it the Bike had been fully cleared and accepted into the Military, so to speak, and that now you on looking forward to that extended furlough (Vacation)?

Congrats on your first major Ride! btw, you already got me beat on distance
from point "A".....> miles ;)

Greg
Not really a vacuum, but more of a vortex. Just the way the air flows. It has an air dam on either side attached to the bottom of the batwing as well as the lower fairings on the crash bars... It's really not a problem, but just more of a stinky situation.

Also... Where is that Go Pro you told me you were getting me?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Not really a vacuum, but more of a vortex. Just the way the air flows. It has an air dam on either side attached to the bottom of the batwing as well as the lower fairings on the crash bars... It's really not a problem, but just more of a stinky situation.

Also... Where is that Go Pro you told me you were getting me?

are the air dams adjustable? Try that?

Are Lowers readily available for your Bike and do they just bolt on easily?

I'd start checking out the part numbers for the Lowers and start keeping my eye out for a set.

Anything that makes it into the "Void" between you and the windshield will have a tendency to "Drop" there, no matter what.

EDIT ADD:
As far as a GoPro, if i was a close relative, like a Brother or favorite Uncle etc i would certainly be looking to buy the latest GoPro for you to enjoy with your new Harley, i would enjoy it too ..... but i am not so sorry my friend, you're on your own to navigate your way to a GoPro : )

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'd start checking out the part numbers for the Lowers and start keeping my eye out for a set.

Anything that makes it into the "Void" between you and the windshield will have a tendency to "Drop" there, no matter what.

EDIT ADD:
As far as a GoPro, if i was a close relative, like a Brother or favorite Uncle etc i would certainly be looking to buy the latest GoPro for you to enjoy with your new Harley, i would enjoy it too ..... but i am not so sorry my friend, you're on your own to navigate your way to a GoPro : )
I'm gonna see if they are adjustable, or how it rides with them removed. And what are you talking about as far as lowers? My bike has the hard fairings mounted to the crash bars... With moveable air vents

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'm gonna see if they are adjustable, or how it rides with them removed. And what are you talking about as far as lowers? My bike has the hard fairings mounted to the crash bars... With moveable air vents
The Chrome Plates mounted on my Forks that extend down to the lower forks.

Yeah, try working with those Air Dams. What your experiencing may be fine and normal.

here's some older pics of my bike that show the Chrome "Lowers".

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,575 Posts
That'll teach you to eat Mc Donalds and ride a HD afterwards!

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

EDIT ADD:

Doh! i just realized the thing about the Air Flow issue was a joke .. LOL

Somehow i confused this thread with an earlier one where "lowers" and Windshields were the issue:roll::lol:

Stay away from Jalapenos ... is what i tell myself.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That'll teach you to eat Mc Donalds and ride a HD afterwards!
It wasn't Mc Donalds... It was a sports bar called Concho's Downtown

1 - 20 of 32 Posts