Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 03 750 spirit used almost one year ago. It came with a Scootworks 1st generation belt drive conversion on it. I had to spend $100 on a new belt when I bought it as the one on it was missing teeth. The new belt didn't quite last a year, put just over 10,000 miles on it before it started loosing teeth and slipping, plus i had issues with the pre-load bolt backing off periodically, So I decided to go back to a chain. I put on a stock front And a 39 tooth rear and adjusted the chain to spec. My last bike was a chain drive, but it was stolen 15 years ago, so I don't remember enough to compare the two. Thus brings up my question. I hear the chain all the Time at low speeds. Should it always make some noise? I don't hear it at all at high speeds. The sprockets are lined up, the only issue at all with the chain is that I removed a link when I probably didn't have to, and now the rear tire is almost all the way forward. I don't see how that could be a problem, but wanted to ask the experts.
Thanks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
44 Posts
not to worry. my new bike i could here the chain at low speed and rolling in my garage.just make sure it has the correct tension and lubed good. don't over tighten needs like an inch and a half of play.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just replaced the chain on my VLX, the replacement is an O ring chain, the old one was a standard roller chain, I noticed it is much quieter and does not clunk when going from N to first as the old roller chain.
to answer your question, yes it is normal to hear the chain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. When checking tension, how much force is used to measure the play? Should I easily be able to move it the 3/4 inch it calls for, or should it take some pressure? Also noticed that it "klunks" into first and second more, is that a sign of being to tight?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Chains make noise. They make more noise if they are out of adjustment, or dirty. Rollers make more noise than O-rings. Cheap chains make lots of noise and break. If sprockets are out of alignement even a hair it'll make more noise. Put the link back, better yet get a new chain. have you look at the teeth on the srockets?

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
I bought my 03 750 spirit used almost one year ago. It came with a Scootworks 1st generation belt drive conversion on it. I had to spend $100 on a new belt when I bought it as the one on it was missing teeth. The new belt didn't quite last a year, put just over 10,000 miles on it before it started loosing teeth and slipping, plus i had issues with the pre-load bolt backing off periodically, So I decided to go back to a chain. I put on a stock front And a 39 tooth rear and adjusted the chain to spec. My last bike was a chain drive, but it was stolen 15 years ago, so I don't remember enough to compare the two. Thus brings up my question. I hear the chain all the Time at low speeds. Should it always make some noise? I don't hear it at all at high speeds. The sprockets are lined up, the only issue at all with the chain is that I removed a link when I probably didn't have to, and now the rear tire is almost all the way forward. I don't see how that could be a problem, but wanted to ask the experts.
Thanks.
Use BelRay SuperClean chain lube.
It's by far, the best chain lube on the market.....

Start with a clean chain and use a light coating on the whole chain.
It doesn't fling, doesn't pick-up much dirt, repels water (so you don't have to re-lube after every ride in the rain) and will help quiet your noisy chain.

Also, you won't have to lube as often as the manual recommends.
Phil

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chains make noise. They make more noise if they are out of adjustment, or dirty. Rollers make more noise than O-rings. Cheap chains make lots of noise and break. If sprockets are out of alignement even a hair it'll make more noise. Put the link back, better yet get a new chain. have you look at the teeth on the srockets?
The sprockets and chain are brand new. Chain is an o- ring type.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
The sprockets and chain are brand new. Chain is an o- ring type.

I have an O-ring, same model and year as yours, and honestly I can't hear it. Play is ~3/4 of an inch with finger pressure. I lubricate it occasionally with DuPont Teflon chain lube.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The chain has to have freeplay. The swing arm is a pivot point & the play will change as the wheel goes though it's arc. I would follow the honda specs.

I was shocked at how much quieter my shaft drive was over a chain. Belts are much quieter than chains also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The chain has to have freeplay. The swing arm is a pivot point & the play will change as the wheel goes though it's arc. I would follow the honda specs.

I was shocked at how much quieter my shaft drive was over a chain. Belts are much quieter than chains also.
I am hoping thats what it is, going from the belt to the chain and just over analyzing it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, sorry if it sounds like I am beating a dead horse, but here goes.
I was running my chain to tight. I finally got it right, and now the noise is minimal, so all good right? Not so.
Now, whenever I hit a good sized bump or pothole, or if Im on a dirt road, the chain clangs against the tope side of the swing arm. Is this because of the smaller 39 tooth sprocket, or is something else going on?
See attached video:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey Gunny I just checked on my ACE couldn't really tell on your vid but there should be a rubber bumper in that area on top of the swing arm. My chain is almost hitting it while on the side stand, but I never hear it, unless I forget to maintain it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, it does help. Had a friend tell me there should be a bumper there as well, guess I'll find a piece of rubber to epoxy on it thanks again.

·
Registered
19,087 Posts
My chain "tells me" when it needs Lube...(it`ll cry and carry on like the spoiled Brat it is)
I run 3/4"-1" FREE PLAY on Stock set up...Manual specs...
Looking fer good tire prices...
Good Luck with this issue...
Know Your Bike,
Dennis

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could someone post a pic of the stock pad? I can't find it in the parts schematics. I can make my own, just want to see what one looks like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.