Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday the weather was nice in the 70's so the Duchess, our bud Ken and I took a ride. We first went to the Indian owned west rim of the grand canyon. Mainly to check out the newly paved road that takes ya the last 20 miles to the rim.
\We just made a short stop in the parking lot as ya have to pay pretty big bucks to see anything. (it's about $82 to walk on the skywalk) Also dogs aren't allowed on the tours anyway.
Then we headed to Meadview a scenic small town near lake mead. They now have a gas station there, a chain gas & grub took over the market that had closed. After Ken topped off his Suzook we headed to South cove (lake mead) a very cool 10 mile ride. We had a sandwich here we brought with us, the duchess loves it here!
Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLexUAvew4

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Is there anywhere a person can go to just stop off the road to see the canyon? Or is it completely a "pay only" everywhere? Pretty big area to be completely blocked off from the public.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anywhere a person can go to just stop off the road to see the canyon? Or is it completely a "pay only" everywhere? Pretty big area to be completely blocked off from the public.
Ya can't see the canyon unless you pay,the road is not near it until the end, a min. tour pass is I think about $34 (this suck's as it's only 60 miles from my home, the s. rim is 150) Ya maybe able to drive into it via a dirt road that is near South cove, not sure though.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
We visited the canyon about two years ago. It really is something that everyone must see. It was our first and probably only trip out west like that. I really enjoy your photos and videos. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes; to your first? If you go to the N. Rim of the canyon there is a network of forest service roads with many spurs off of it which go right to the edge of the canyon for camping, picnicing, or whatever. No charge, except you've got to buy a map of the N. Rim which shows the FS roads. You'll ride almost to the N. Rim entrance gate (where they charge) then head off to the west down whichever FS road looks good on your map.There's no mob scene back on those roads. You've got to be OK with taking your bike on some pretty well maintained dirt roads. There're prob 100s of miles of FS roads to explore. If you're already in that area, Lee's Ferry is also terrific. Nice reasonably priced motel and the camping at Lee's Ferry is pretty nice w/a view of the mighty Colorado. Prob my favorite overall m/c area in AZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.