Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the secret to bleeding the clutch or is something else wrong?
Just got this 87 VT100C Shadow and already messed it up. I could not see through the site glass on the wet clutch so I took the cover off to check the fluid, the fuid was real brown inside the reservoir so I cleaned it out then bleed the line down to the clutch assy. I thought I did it right, like bleeding brakes, but for some reason the clutch handle does not work the clutch. Does not feel like it builds up any pressure, really spongy. With the bike running as soon as I try to put it in 1st it goes in gear with the clutch in. I did put in DOT 4. :cry:

·
Registered
932 Posts
The link mentioned above is a good one of things to check. The first time I bled the clutch on my 1984 VT700, it took me a loooooong time of bleeding in the various places mentioned in the link before I got it working again. Patience is the key.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yeah, they can be tricky, but it's worth the time to get it right. It will make all of your rides that much more enjoyable.

Also, as a point of technicality: All of our Hondas have a wet clutch, even the ones that are cable-actuated. A "wet clutch" is one where the clutch plates are bathed in oil, in our case, it's the engine oil. A "hydraulic clutch" is one where the clutch is actuated by a master and slave cylinder pair with a hose connecting the two, rather than a cable that connects that lever to the clutch mechanism.

--Justin

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean and went through the same thing shortly after I bought my bike when the hydraulic hose cracked due to misrouting by the previous owner. I suggest you purchase a VACUUM PUMP and suck the fluid through the bleeder. It was the only way I could get the system bled. I have since replaced the sight glass window on the clutch reservoir and brought out the pump. The pump costs $24 and I bought it at Discount Auto. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The same thing happened to me and I found it frustrating too.

The answer for me was to crack open the bango bolt at the master cylinder as air gets trapped in that high point. I only had to do it once and all was sweet again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked

thanks for the tip, I never would have thought that air would get traped at the hose fitting on the resevoir. Time for a test drive. Thanks again.

Where is the best place on line to get part? :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts