Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do the hole saw mod on my 2003 750DC and I was quite pleased and surprised at what a difference it made. I like the new louder, but not obnoxious, lower toned exhaust. Its hard to explain, and the audio track on a video I took does not do it justice. If I had to describe it, I would say it has retained some of the stock pipe Honda fast rhythmic sound but the pitch has been replaced with a deeper, medium volume rumble. It sounds great at idle and gets better on acceleration. My best estimation is that its 125 % louder without the resonators. The mod did not effect performance and I did not make any idle or carb adjustment. It was quick, easy, and only cost the price of a new bi metal hole saw. $17.00. If your wanting your bike louder and sounding a little tougher....do it. I'm glad I did. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Several months ago I purchased a 2007 Shadow Spirit for my wife. One morning I was goofing around and played the Youtube video of the guy cutting his with a hole saw. She watched it all the way through, got up and picked up her purse and said "let's go". We went to the store and bought a saw.
I've noticed she revs it a little more at red lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im trying to decide between holesawing and going with completely different pipes. I think I'll try this first, definitely less expensive! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
.... louder, but not obnoxious....

Funny thing about obnoxious. You don't get to decide what it is to other people....

Try to keep that in mind as you rattle your way thru life. It matters not how excessively loud your motorcycle is. If you're blipping the throttle at stop lights...you're obnoxious.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,575 Posts
^^^^^
I drag mine with me but she does sit in the car and reads her Kindle. :D

If you're blipping the throttle at stop lights...you're obnoxious.
Damn fine analogy but they are probably that way w/o a throttle in their hand.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im trying to decide between holesawing and going with completely different pipes. I think I'll try this first, definitely less expensive! Thanks!
Your welcome....the mod it's not quite like a new set of pipes but they certainly sound a lot better. I think you will like it ....what do you have to lose except a couple dirty resonators. :mrgreen: If you do it let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your welcome....the mod it's not quite like a new set of pipes but they certainly sound a lot better. I think you will like it ....what do you have to lose except a couple dirty resonators. :mrgreen: If you do it let us know how you like it.
Will do! I just want a little more noise and from what Ive seen and heard, this does just that. Plus I can take that cash I'd use on pipes and put it elsewhere. I'll document all of it ;)

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,095 Posts
here utah the baffles must be present to pass safety insp. i run v&h pipes the baffles are removable . if ya hole saw the oem pipes it would be illegal. once ya cut them out its alot of work welding em back in.

·
Registered
365 Posts
And new pipes cost what? 400? 500? Plus re-jetting the carb? Somewhere I read you could get a modest increase in sound by drilling holes in the flat plate of the baffles. And it gives a deeper sound? Anyone tried that?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Try a K&N filter and see what happens. (You may need to some carb work after that install...but it makes a difference).

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
And new pipes cost what? 400? 500? Plus re-jetting the carb? Somewhere I read you could get a modest increase in sound by drilling holes in the flat plate of the baffles. And it gives a deeper sound? Anyone tried that?
I made wide open slip-ons for $50 and only adjusted the idle mixture screws. I ran them for well over a year before i jetted and messed with the beanbox.

·
Registered
649 Posts
woulda thought that the reduced back pressure woulda caused some popping and farting on decelartion

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Funny thing about obnoxious. You don't get to decide what it is to other people....

If you're blipping the throttle at stop lights...you're obnoxious.
I kinda like the sound of a healthy V-twin with an open exhaust. I even like some of the I4's. Actually, I just like the sound of any sort of healthy engine.

Except those that are overly muffled and make that Shhhh sound - that's horrendous.

What's really obnoxious to me are the jets, especially now that they get to take off at 5am. No bike is that loud.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
sitting at a stop lite in an suv with the bose stereo up, the windows up... probably not going to hear our little unbaffled honda pipes. sitting at a stop lite in car with 2x60 air conditioning, a broken or scratchy radio (you know the cd player's broken), you might well get an envious thumbs up (maybe even a date for a ride along). if its a soccer mom with a load of kids late for everything..., no worries she has other things on her mind. if its harley davidson, stage 2 or better, well, you know....

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Wish I had a wife that took me too a tool store.
I get the long expressionless stares while we are walking around the tool store. In her defense I do tend to ignore those long expressionless stares.. :lol:

Glad your hole-saw mod is working its magic for you Moonrider! ..Like others have said, more air and tweaking the fueling might get you a little more throttle response and a slight uptick in get-up-and-go.. ;)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Somewhere I read you could get a modest increase in sound by drilling holes in the flat plate of the baffles. And it gives a deeper sound? Anyone tried that?
I'm not sure if that would work or not. I wasn't sure how loud it would be so I removed the first one and fired it up.... it sounded good, but not quite as loud as I wanted...so I went ahead and removed the second one. If you were thinking about doing the mod it would be a good place to start...if the holes didn't make a significant difference you could always just go ahead and remove them completely.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad your hole-saw mod is working its magic for you Moonrider! ..Like others have said, more air and tweaking the fueling might get you a little more throttle response and a slight uptick in get-up-and-go.. ;)
Thanks Mark....and how would I go about tweaking the fueling to get a little more a**?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
woulda thought that the reduced back pressure woulda caused some popping and farting on decelartion
It did cause little farting ....but no popping. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts