Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my new K and N air filter today and man you can feel a huge difference in the smoothness of the ride. For 40 some odd dollars you can't beat the result. I recommend doing this.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Joe,

Yeah...it is amazing how restrictive the stock air cleaner is. Now, for your next power trip...change out the pipes for a set of aftermarkets.

Joe

·
Registered
231 Posts
justjoe001 said:
Installed my new K and N air filter today and man you can feel a huge difference in the smoothness of the ride. For 40 some odd dollars you can't beat the result. I recommend doing this.
Did you have to re-jet? You have a 750 ACE like me right? I know on my ATV I went up one jet size to really feel it

·
Registered
500 Posts
Does it REALLY make a difference in just changing to the K & N air filter? I was told that just changing the air filter wouldn't make a difference and was a waste of money..

Also, if I change to the K & N I have to soak it in oil??

Ron

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
It comes pre oiled.
Yes it adds to the hp...you can hear the difference.
No rejetting is necessary if all you are doing is swapping the air filters.
Change pipes and that's a whole 'nother story.

They recommend that you clean and re oil the filter every 50,000 miles.
The kit is $15 from cruisercustomizing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
radski said:
Does it REALLY make a difference in just changing to the K & N air filter? I was told that just changing the air filter wouldn't make a difference and was a waste of money..

Also, if I change to the K & N I have to soak it in oil??

Ron
I've seen many products claim huge increases in HP, but the only real test is a dyno and/or multiple exact condition tests on the track. A quick check with Donaldson, a pioneer and leader in air filtration, shows that it takes a 4" change in pressure differential (using water), just to reflect a 1% difference in HP. Incidentally, Donaldson claims that testing shows there isn't anywhere near that kind of difference. Airflow characteristics, (and airbox design specifically) may be another matter, but it seems that testing for it on motorcycles is currently someplace between extremely difficult and impossible.

I think atmospheric conditions will probably have more effect.

Heck...1" of atmospheric pressure is equal to about 3% by itself! Add in some temperature differential and humidity changes, and performance can noticeably change from day to day just because of the weather.

Many people tend to confuse a lot of noise for a lot of power. I wouldn't say that it can't make a difference, I just wonder how much it really is?

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,271 Posts
Kinda depends on how badly you need a new air filter. Changing from a dirty one to a clean one can make a HUGE difference...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.