Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i think i am cursed or something because i cant seem to keep accessories from breaking on my bike. I started on a rebel two years ago and in that time i lost a rear foot-peg , cracked my crash-bar 5 times and lost a highway peg twice. Now i have a 01 VLX 600 and love it but my highway bar has broke on both sides where it mounts to the frame, today i discovered a crack in my gas tank (Which is a tank from an 01 Magna and was put on before i bought the bike). I have about 52 Thousand miles on the bike and the previous owner put 25 of those on and never had any issues. Not sure what is causing this but sure wish i could find out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That kind of stuff happens. I ALWAYS put stuff on with blue loctite. Can't remember the last time anything feel off one of my bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem is not so much falling off as it is metal cracking. Loctite wont help when the bar crackes and causes things to fall off

·
Registered
748 Posts
"Loctite wont help when the bar crackes and causes things to fall off."

True enough. The next thing that comes to mind is that the afore mentioned items have been put on with too much torque in the first place.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
sorry about your luck bud.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Ever see the movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell? The explanation for all your bad luck can be found in this movie.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Red paint..that's funny!

Do I understand correctly that you are only having issues with aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Love the funny comments!
But to get serious, if your accessories (or tank) don't match up perfectly, you will have trouble down the road. If they are very close, and you use the bolt to pull it into place, you could be putting stress into the part. Sooner or later, metal fatigue takes it's toll.
This could be caused by cheap aftermarket parts that are substandard in fit. Or from tanks made for another bike that don't fit too well.
As already mentioned, using gorilla strength to tighten bolts is not a good thing, and loctite is a good thing. (So are lockwashers).
Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. No never seen the movie sorry
2. Not sure whats funny about red paint please enlighten me if you would
3. all of the parts on my shadow that have broke have been on the bike for a while and have never shown any sign of weakness until i got the bike. The tank fits perfect the guy who put it on added a bolt hole a little further back on the frame for the tank to mount to so it fits right.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The part about the loctite I agree with. Often is a fastener is a bit loose the movement can cause fatige. Loctite and proper torque is important. And, these things vibrate a lot so when you change oil go over things looking for loose fasteners and anything that doesn't look right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1. No never seen the movie sorry
2. Not sure whats funny about red paint please enlighten me if you would
3. all of the parts on my shadow that have broke have been on the bike for a while and have never shown any sign of weakness until i got the bike. The tank fits perfect the guy who put it on added a bolt hole a little further back on the frame for the tank to mount to so it fits right.
You'd have to have seen the movie to get the read paint joke. Nothing personal at all. Part of it can be seen here...(this driver thought red cars were bad luck...that's some kind of talisman in his mouth)

A much funnier scene is here... (some potty words)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
considering that i just moved up from a 250 rebel i think im going to stay here for a while.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
considering that i just moved up from a 250 rebel i think im going to stay here for a while.
Nope. You ARE ready for a bigger bike, you are just kidding yourself. The jump from a 250 to a 750 or a 1100 isn't as much as you think it is. Or, for that matter, to a VTX1800. The twist in the wrist and how you manage it IS.

A '83 VT750C is one helluva powerful and fast bike, as are the '84-up VT700's. The late model VT750's (ACE/Aero/Phantom) bikes hardly compare to the power produced by the earlier produced Shadow's.

Get out and test ride a ACE/Spirit/Sabre 1100. You'll find the power and handling of these bikes to be pretty...excellent.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts