Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried cutting the end of the top pipe on my 04 sabre out today. 2 1/8 hole saw made easy work. My problem is I can't remove the baffle I see that easily comes out of 750s. I'm through all the way so what's holding it in? Its mushed cause I grabbed it with channel locks. Actually broke them twisting on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the problem is my saw is too short to get into that 2nd plate. I literally just watched that video 5 minutes ago. His saw looks longer

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
249 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago. There is something in back that I think it's sort of wedged in. I shoved a long screwdriver in the side and banged on it, pryed at it, wiggled it around violently...etc. pulling on it with channel locks didn't do anything except bend up the front. I actually only got them to move by sticking the screwdriver in and prying out against the pipe itself as leverage, as well as some long bent needle nose pliers that hooked in and pulled out sort of. I was planning on getting new pipes anyways so I risked it but surprisingly (to me) the outer pipe is very strong and didn't bend at all. Once they moved out a certain amount they were able to be pulled out with the pliers. It was extremely difficult and for a time I thought they wouldn't come out at all.

I watched that same video. I was thinking to myself that guy in the video must have edited out a lot of tugging and prying because there's no way they come out of these sabres that easy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I look inside there is another layer that certainly looks like the outer one I bored through. I've mangled the little pipe that exits the center of the exhaust and I'm considering leaving it alone if I can't make any sort of progress. How do they sound?

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
249 Posts
I though they sounded really good. Sounded like real pipes, increased volume a lot but still not crazy loud.

This is what's back there. That circle in the middle is what I think it was wedged into somehow but I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,566 Posts
I would guess you have to break some spot welds holding it together.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here's a pic of a slide hammer I made
Auto parts stores loan them out for free with many different ends other than vise-grips and work well for what you are doing:

Used that to pull the baffles out of a Suzuki S50/VS800

A loaner would look something like this:
Slide Hammer and Puller Set, 14 Pc. (harborfreight.com)
Just sayin'

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the tips. I'm going to keep at it

Let me ask this. Are these pipes made in two pieces? Where they get larger in diameter it seems like they slip into the the main pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate all the tips. I'm going to keep at it

Let me ask this. Are these pipes made in two pieces? Where they get larger in diameter it seems like they slip into the the main pipe.
They look to be press fit. I don't know much about motorcycles (which is why I joined) but I have worke
I though they sounded really good. Sounded like real pipes, increased volume a lot but still not crazy loud.
View attachment 293547

This is what's back there. That circle in the middle is what I think it was wedged into somehow but I'm not sure.
Yeah they look press fit. Unless the mark at the top of the picture is a tac weld mark and not a screw driver mark. For anyone else doing this SLIDE HAMMER.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts