Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I thought I was home free till I got to the last 2 exhaust flange bolts...
I torqued them down to approx 15-18ftlbs, and the freakin Exhaust flange bent.....? :twisted:

I took it back off, and everything lines up fine etc... and it feels like if I tighten any more I may break a bolt or stud.

I mean it is not like I over tightened or anything?

Suggestions as to what this would happen??

What can I do now?

( by the way I did do a quick search, but didn't find to much )

Oh yeh, I assume I can re-use the stock acrorn nuts for the aftermarket exhaust correct? Or should I try another type of bolt?
Wht have all of you used?

You help is appreciated
Cheers
O

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only thing I can figure is maybe the factory hardware has something to do with it. What kind of pipes are they?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Did you tighten them down evenly or did you torque one side down and
then the other?

You need to snug both sides up and then turn each one about 1 - 1/2 turns
each and alternate each one as you tighten, until you reach the
recommended torque.

If you tighten one side all the way down and then the other side,
it will definitely warp the flange.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I was reinstalling my cobra pipes that came with my bike and noticed that the flanges were badly bent. I ignored it because I knew that I installed two new ring gaskets and that I had tightened them up evenly and torque to specs. That was 7000 miles ago and have had no problem with leaks. You also can't see they are bent unless you stick your nose right up there and look.

Ignore it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You did remove the old crush gaskets right?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was installing the Cobra Lowboys.

Yup, I went a few turns on each bolt at a time.....the rears seem to go on fine, but the front seems to be bent...
I mean I read everything on other peoples expeiances here, and thought I did everything right?

Yes I took the old copper gaskets out and installed new ones......I then torques each side to about 18ft/fbs

I guess I am just going to leave it and see if it leaks when I fire it back up in the spring

I just hate seeing aftermarket equipment not fit properly......
Ohwell Thanks guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the exhaust flange there is an arrow (at least on my 1996 VT1100) that points which end is up. The ends do not fit either way, they are specific. So it will not fit right if you have the flange position reversed.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
opipe said:
I just hate seeing aftermarket equipment not fit properly......
Ohwell Thanks guys
That's the problem with aftermarket parts.
They don't spend the time and money to make them fit as well
as factory parts do...
That's one reason they are so much cheaper.

There's very few aftermarket parts I've ever seen, bike or car,
that fit correctly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black Shadow said:
On the exhaust flange there is an arrow (at least on my 1996 VT1100) that points which end is up. The ends do not fit either way, they are specific. So it will not fit right if you have the flange position reversed.

Interesting, I didn't see any arrow, but I am going to go back and look now.....not to mention there wasn't anything about up or down stated int he instructions....wish me luck that this thing doesn't leak...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts