Honda Shadow Forums banner

16561 - 16576 of 16576 Posts

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
Great to hear, Dennis! Ride baby, ride!(y)
Today was only 25 or so miles, BUT There will be more in the very near future...
I didn`t know I missed it until it wasGone...
During the No Ridiong restrictions from Drs, I was jokingly saying, I`m going Riding, but when time came I could, I didn`t really find reason to ride...
I do realize though, Riding is not a thing I think about, I just Do It!
I`m glad those (no riding) days are behind me,
Dennis

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sprockets,Chain,Dampers & Final drive time...
Got the parts last week, this morn was good as any for GetErDoneTime. (startin to rain here in TN, dreary day)
Got er all apart, cleaned/washed off with Kero, ready for reassembly - went quicker than expected.
Those HarborFreight , 7mil heavy duty/trucker disposable gloves are great for chain&sprocket groody work - Really Good! (can do multiple jobs with em and great sensitivity - makes the job real easy) )

Even got that that pita 0-ring that's only good for a couple rearwheel removals. Was suprized that my dampers are still in good shape, got the bike with 13k+ needing a new reartire and when puttin the tire on the dampers were shot & shreaded, now ~18K later with (evidently) my lazy scootin round they're still in good shape (I must be a lot easier on the bike the prev owner)

All ready for reassembly... I brushed the entire area off with kero using old small paint brush and all's clean nuff for Govt work....

Gotta look up the torque specs for sprocket to drive hub - may put er back together this after noon - may not...
No hurry, if i reassemble all clean and nicely torqued, and dont it beat too much - I oughta be good to go till 50K miles or so... (With 30K+ on it now, 20K more will be in the 50k range - and all should still be dooin fine)

I included the pic of all parts required to show how having "All" parts needed before starting a job makes the job go smoothly -but on looking at the job in progress the most important things to make a job easy are:
A good Stool and Lift - perhaps the most important requirements for DIY maintenance!

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
@KaBob Wrote >>> Was suprized that my dampers are still in good shape, got the bike with 13k+ needing a new reartire and when puttin the tire on the dampers were shot & shreaded, now ~18K later with (evidently) my lazy scootin round they're still in good shape (I must be a lot easier on the bike the prev owner) UNQUOTE >>>

Yeah Mine are still OK @ 166,000 miles...
Those little **** what hold `em in are shot, BUT they`re dampening the wheel, engine pressure well...

YES A cleaner upper is always needed with our Chain Drives,
Dennis

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
@KaBob Wrote >>> Was suprized that my dampers are still in good shape, got the bike with 13k+ needing a new reartire and when puttin the tire on the dampers were shot & shreaded, now ~18K later with (evidently) my lazy scootin round they're still in good shape (I must be a lot easier on the bike the prev owner) UNQUOTE >>>

Yeah Mine are still OK @ 166,000 miles...
Those little **** what hold `em in are shot, BUT they`re dampening the wheel, engine pressure well...

YES A cleaner upper is always needed with our Chain Drives,
Dennis
OOOOOOPS!!!
I said 1666,000 BUT iut IS 164,+++ It`s been Too Long from being in the saddle...
D

·
Registered
431 Posts
After getin all removed & cleaned up yesterday, went down last nite & installed sprocket on reardrivehub/ 65 Ft/Lb, and the front sprocket & keeper, readied all for rearwheel & new chain in the morn.
Today, a real nasty, down pourin day, Installed rearwheel & axle, brake stay & pedal connection - threaded new chain thru (with chain tensioners all the way forward) and wrapped each end half around the rear sprocket easily and installed master,
Pulled the tensions evenly per scale on each side - And Done (except cleanin up - no need for pic)... It's Bud-Thirty!

Machine steel is a hard subject - Especially on the hands...
(but got that job outa the way)

Threw in a pic anyway - all cleaned up and got er outa the middle of the room(ready for the dropcloth)..

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
Rode it!!!
BUT that a couple days ago ;)
I`m looking at making custom side covers for it and getting my Road King Saddlebags installed...
I DID install my lowers a few days ago too,
D

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
I washed her and took her for a ride to see if I washed her good enough! LOL

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Yeah I ALWAYS gotta do that, Just "to see IF I washed her good enough"...
As I`m passing, I look in the store windows reflections for spots I mightta missed,
Dennis

16561 - 16576 of 16576 Posts