Honda Shadow Forums banner

16821 - 16840 of 16880 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
462 Posts
Rode around for 70+ miles testing my gravity feed fuel system, for what it’s worth it seems to function perfectly with the petcock outlet routed clockwise back towards the carbs, fuel filter just above the rear cylinder head. Was a bit apprehensive because I’ve read of some issues with 1100 owners going to gravity feed but the ‘08-09 Spirit 750 single carb has no fuel pump from factory so I figured it was worth a shot. Works fine, currently at 110 miles on my tank and still haven’t switched to reserve.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Rode around for 70+ miles testing my gravity feed fuel system, for what it’s worth it seems to function perfectly with the petcock outlet routed clockwise back towards the carbs, fuel filter just above the rear cylinder head. Was a bit apprehensive because I’ve read of some issues with 1100 owners going to gravity feed but the ‘08-09 Spirit 750 single carb has no fuel pump from factory so I figured it was worth a shot. Works fine, currently at 110 miles on my tank and still haven’t switched to reserve.
That's good to know. A dead fuel pump 500 miles from home would suck. Now I know there's a work around.(y) Now to convert my spoke wheels to tubeless and i'll be damned near bullet-proof!

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,571 Posts
Yesterday I reinstalled the battery put a wolo boy on and started her up she sounded good. Still cant ride her. 9 surgeries later leg is still healing. Today I'm putting the seat back on and giving her a bath. It's been almost 18 months I need wind therapy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That beautiful bike looks like it's just begging to be ridden, heal quickly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Cut out the floorboards from a piece of 3/16th steel plate using an angle grinder with cutoff disks and a belt sander, close to the final dimensions

They would be all nice and shinny clean but the drive belt in my cheap as chips belt sander took a crap

Although, I can't complain, bought it four or five years ago and it hasn't had an easy life probably got my money's worth a hundred times over so far.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I rode in anger. My company is driving me insane. I burned 90 or better on all the back roads.
The ride is what I love most. The freedom, the single mindedness. The blast of the wind and the howl of the exhaust.
Just you, your trusty steed and the pavement.
my last bit of available sanity.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Rode to town to pick up my tractor tire ;)
Then came home and patched ANOTHER Hole which they missed...
Rode the tractor til dark :D
`Tis Almost as good as Riding the Bike that tractor seat time is !!!
Wind therapy & Seat time clears the cobwebs! > I reckon it`s just the Freedom from thought and people ;)
Parked on the lift soas to check out a few issues...

* I reckon that Crash caused more problems than the HONDA Shop found and included on the estimate???

I can handle it,
Dennis
*Oil leak & Blowing the fuse in the Horn/ turns/instrument light/etc... circuit ...

·
Registered
2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 / 1949 Matchless G3L
48 Posts
Finally got around to cleaning my chain. It was really caked on and some rollers were not "rolling " as well as they could have due to build up. Some simple green, a brush and some lube and it looks and moves like new. I also adjusted the chain.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well today I discovered the ups and downs of trying to convert a 01-07 spirit DC to gravity fed fueling, while I was able to run the tank for 110 miles from full yesterday today I had a fuel starvation issue as soon as I pulled out of the garage, wouldn’t hold idle and under any load it popped and stalled. Turns out, the factory installed pre-filter screen tube that goes around the stock petcock tube was all kinds of bent up and kinked in the hole, which was blocking fuel flow significantly. Took the tank off, removed the petcock and the pre-filter tube and cut all but the very bottom of the tube off, you can’t reliably remove the entire tube as the bottom of it locates the sealing o-ring that seals off the petcock once installed. Checked flow with the fuel feed disconnected and now the tank will drain to damn near totally empty with the tank sitting level on my work bench.

Rode another 15 miles today after modding the petcock prefilter, I figure it will be fine without it since I still use an inline filter before the carbs. Now I’m at 120 miles on the tank and still without hitting reserve and running perfectly. I guess if this all works out and I retain the same mileage and miles per gallon with gravity fed vs fuel pump fed I’ll have to make a thread outlining all of the little things that need to be done to truly delete the pump.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,207 Posts
Don't you also have your tank raised up too.
That might factor into the equation.

I ran my 750 ACE with the pump bypassed with no other mods soon after I bought it. The whole pump thing, rubbed me the wrong way. I thought initially it was working fine, but I then it going lean at about 120km into to a ride. I have no idea if it was a volume or pressure/head problem and a refill at a gas station got me home to hook it back up. I think the ACE has a different tank and backbone angle compared to the Spirit, so that and the petcock mods may be a difference. If/when my fuel pump dies I be stealing some intake vacuum and running a Mikuni dual outlet diaphragm pump.

I may do your "good to the last drop" mod to the petcock though at some point.
There is definitely no shortage of filters on these things and that screen seems to just protect the petcock and the inline filter from tank crud.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't you also have your tank raised up too.
That might factor into the equation.

I ran my 750 ACE with the pump bypassed with no other mods soon after I bought it. The whole pump thing, rubbed me the wrong way. I thought initially it was working fine, but I then it going lean at about 120km into to a ride. I have no idea if it was a volume or pressure/head problem and a refill at a gas station got me home to hook it back up. I think the ACE has a different tank and backbone angle compared to the Spirit, so that and the petcock mods may be a difference. If/when my fuel pump dies I be stealing some intake vacuum and running a Mikuni dual outlet diaphragm pump.

I may do your "good to the last drop" mod to the petcock though at some point.
There is definitely no shortage of filters on these things and that screen seems to just protect the petcock and the inline filter from tank crud.
Yeah I did have the front of the tank raised 3” but I lowered it back to stock because the vent tube kept pouring gas out of it when it was completely full, Also keep in mind I have 6” over forks and the back is as low as it can go so the whole bike is raked up in the front, probably helps. I have the fuel line doing a full 180 turn directly back to the carbs and the fuel filter is just above the left side of the rear cylinder head, the fuel inlet to the carbs is about the same height as the petcock outlet now.

The 01-07 spirit petcock is at a weird angle and the tube is actually bent from the factory, Honda still uses the same straight pre-filter tube over it so when the bent petcock tube goes into the hole with the pre-filter tube it sorta bends and twists it and mostly blocks off the hole, guess the fuel pump and filter had enough time and volume to let it slowly drip down to the pump and be pushed back up. Later today I plan to go out and ride it till it hits reserve to make sure the reserve function still works, I’ll report back.

The petcock and tanks are different in a lot of ways, the gravity fed 08-09 Spirit has the petcock in the middle of the left side tank, mine is all the way back at the left rear bottom end, which makes it fun to flip to reserve and not look like I’m shifting my junk around.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Later today I plan to go out and ride it till it hits reserve to make sure the reserve function still works, I’ll report back.
Reporting back. Without the fuel pump you can start to notice when you’re nearing reserve at idle alone because the idle will start to idle lower slightly and stumble, this only happens when you’re about 5-10 miles from reserve with almost no fuel weight helping get fuel to the carbs. From what I understand at low idle these CV carbs don’t produce a ton of fuel suction so with a low main fuel level it need a higher idle to produce more suction. Bumped my idle up to 1150-1200ish and it definitely idled better on low main tank gas with the higher idle. As soon as I switched to reserve the weight of the fuel smoothed everything out again, did some WOT 1-2-3 pulls while on reserve and it ran exactly as I expected it to. Overall I was riding for 12 miles before I hit reserve level and the switch over was exactly the same as when I had the fuel pump installed, little bit of popping through the exhaust, flipped the switch and gave it a little gas and picked right back up, was able to ride 14 miles to get gas no problem and it ran and idled fine. Will have to keep an eye on my plugs to see if anything is leaning out under load but so far, all is well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I pulled the engine and built a custom seat. I'm going to paint the engine. :)
Pictures? I love technical/mechanical custom stuff.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2
38 Posts
I put some Memphis lowers on my bike. Took it for a test drive, on the highway, and really noticed a difference. Even the crosswinds seemed
subdued, somewhat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed new Dunlop D404 tires! Huge improvement in ride and handling. No more twitchy front end; I thought maybe I had a mechanical issue. The front tire wasn't that old, but it had a groove in the center and was a different brand than the rear. Every little irregularity in the road would make it wiggle and it took effort to initiate turn-ins and hold a line. The bike has 15,000 miles on it (had 9500 when I bought it a year ago in Mar 2019) and it turns out that the Bridgestone Excedra on the rear was evidently the OEM tire delivered with the bike! The bike is now way more stable and planted both on straights and curves, of which we have many in Northern Marin County, CA. The brakes feel way more responsive as well. Now I can focus on the finer details of riding and feel more relaxed and confident. I have learned an important lesson about what a major effect tires have on ride enjoyment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably ANY tire would have made a huge improvement, but hopefully those D404's will prove to be a great tire. The treads look good on the bike as well. So far the handling feels great. I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it, so may not get many opportunities to test out wet traction. Oh, got a killer deal on the tires as well, on sale at RevZilla (not a plug for them, but they did seem to have the best price, in stock, and delivered within 2 days, despite the COVID issues).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Made some parts for the floorboards, took a break and went for a ride to pick up my new powdered fuel mass accelerator, came back made a couple more pieces (not in the pic) just need to set the angle and weld them up

16821 - 16840 of 16880 Posts