Honda Shadow Forums banner

17321 - 17340 of 17367 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like some GOOD incense you got there @bikerbobcat :D

I think I`ll see about lighting some,
Dennis
I WISH. That smoke doesn't play well with me anymore. I go from Zero to Panic Attack! and then fall asleep in 45 minutes. Maybe, some day when it's fully legal where I live, I can start seeing if there's some blend that will be as mellow as all the hippy songs say it is. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
D'oh! Hit send too soon!
For this bike I just got notice of my new clutch kit being shipped, so got to get the rest of the stuff for the oil change together. Still waiting on shipping for the other tuning kit. Once the carbs are off and the clutch rebuilt I'm going to give the engine a good detailed scrub with Simple Green and then put some high heat white enamel on the very end of the fins for high contrast. Think it's gonna look sweet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took off the exhaust (with much struggle, every bolt and clamp is completely rusted together). Going to cut the mufflers off anyway, no big deal. What worries me are 2 things:
-There's no gaskets?? It looks like they just used red silicone/RTV instead of any actual gaskets?!?
-There is a big chunk missing from the front cylinder exhaust mounting point? I've never seen this off so this is new but doesn't match any drawings which show the mount point square. The "missing" bit isn't anywhere to be seen so it didn't come off while trying to take the pipes off and looks like it didn't drop recently or may actually be made that way.

I got a pair of copper gaskets from TJ Brutal that are supposed to fit... can I still use those? Is that chunk out going to be a problem? Or am I stuck with RTV or need to get other gaskets? This is... worrying.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,721 Posts
@bikerbobcat, it seems like I remember someone else showing one like that . It is too smooth to be a broken piece but why it is that shape i don't know.
The original copper crush washers can get pretty thin. So dig into the area to see if they are still in there with all the red crap.

·
Registered
2004 Aero VT750
39 Posts
Took off the exhaust (with much struggle, every bolt and clamp is completely rusted together). Going to cut the mufflers off anyway, no big deal. What worries me are 2 things:
-There's no gaskets?? It looks like they just used red silicone/RTV instead of any actual gaskets?!?
-There is a big chunk missing from the front cylinder exhaust mounting point? I've never seen this off so this is new but doesn't match any drawings which show the mount point square. The "missing" bit isn't anywhere to be seen so it didn't come off while trying to take the pipes off and looks like it didn't drop recently or may actually be made that way.

I got a pair of copper gaskets from TJ Brutal that are supposed to fit... can I still use those? Is that chunk out going to be a problem? Or am I stuck with RTV or need to get other gaskets? This is... worrying.

View attachment 290726 View attachment 290727 View attachment 290728
Just clean out the red gunk and you should be able use the copper gaskets with no problem.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Replaced the front wheel bearings today. For a while now I had a bit of a vibration and I decided to check the balance of the front wheel. Thats when I found the bearings didn't roll so well anymore. The wheel would not find a heavy spot. No matter where it stopped rolling is where it stayed. New bearings and it looks like the balance is really good. Will go for a ride in the morning to see if all is well now. (you do find a lot of really good info in this site):)

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I finally did it!!
I procrastinated putting the chain & sprocket set on today ;)
I purposely found other things to do, that needed done and thought of a bunch more to do...
Tomorrow,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,047 Posts
@bikerbobcat, it seems like I remember someone else showing one like that . It is too smooth to be a broken piece but why it is that shape i don't know.
The original copper crush washers can get pretty thin. So dig into the area to see if they are still in there with all the red crap.
The bite out of the casting at the front cylinder port, if it is a 750 ACE they are all like that, surprised the heck out of me too the first time I saw it.
I agree with @swifty2014 on the crush gaskets too, they are probably still in there and crushed as flat as a pancake.
if you scrape the tapered area at the edge of the port and you see copper color they are still in there and will need removing by hooking them out of there before installing the new doughnut shaped ones. Once you hook an edge they are soft copper and come out easily.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took 3 cutting wheels but finally got the mufflers off, then put the pipes loosely back on just to keep them up off the floor for now. That's another 10lbs or so of weight off the bike! Don't have any carb cleaner so haven't tackled the rejet yet, so instead listened to some chill music and spent quality time scrubbing now easier-to-reach parts with my favorite cleaner Simple Green. Got a small bottle brush and rag and got inside the fins. What a difference.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Replaced the front wheel bearings today. For a while now I had a bit of a vibration and I decided to check the balance of the front wheel. Thats when I found the bearings didn't roll so well anymore. The wheel would not find a heavy spot. No matter where it stopped rolling is where it stayed. New bearings and it looks like the balance is really good. Will go for a ride in the morning to see if all is well now. (you do find a lot of really good info in this site):)
Well, I went for that ride this morning and so far, it seems like the vibration is gone. Also tried out my insulated coveralls ad they work well!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I went for that ride this morning and so far, it seems like the vibration is gone. Also tried out my insulated coveralls ad they work well!
Got a recommendation for those coveralls? Looking for a little better insulated ride gear that won't make me feel/look like the Micheline Man.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Got a recommendation for those coveralls? Looking for a little better insulated ride gear that won't make me feel/look like the Micheline Man.

I purchased these 1 size bigger than needed so I can still add layers when it gets really cold.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I finally did it!!
I procrastinated putting the chain & sprocket set on today ;)
I purposely found other things to do, that needed done and thought of a bunch more to do...
Tomorrow,
Dennis
NO MORE PROCRASTINATION!!!
Only 45 minutes into this, I already got the rear sprocket on ;) & parts cleaned up:D >>> NO I didn`t disturb the brake dust ;) She`s ready to size the chain...
Cleaned the built up oily mess & checked for dampener freeplay, which I think is a tadd TOO Much >> I think I`ll order those for when I replace the tire which will need it early next year IF I`m easy on it :D NAAH! :D
She Just turned 167,000 so It`ll be ready for tires about the time for my 170,000 miles oil change...

Back at it,
Dennis

I sure can find ways to put things off ;)
Hadta come inside insteadda working on that front sprocket rightaway :D

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
Oh KAY!!!
New set installed!!!
BUT???
I ain`t never!
I ain`t never seen a "screw type connecting link" until today...
Have any of Y`all used this (new to me) type Master Link???
My first EK Chain too...
It is an X ring chain and appears to be of good quality...

AND Don`tchYaKnow I swapped to a 38 T rear sprocket too, Both sprockets are JT Sprocket...

SO New to me, I`m goin` Ridin`,
Dennis

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
171 Posts
Oh KAY!!!
New set installed!!!
BUT???
I ain`t never!
I ain`t never seen a "screw type connecting link" until today...
Have any of Y`all used this (new to me) type Master Link???
My first EK Chain too...
It is an X ring chain and appears to be of good quality...

AND Don`tchYaKnow I swapped to a 38 T rear sprocket too, Both sprockets are JT Sprocket...

SO New to me, I`m goin` Ridin`,
Dennis
Congratulations, job well done.

17321 - 17340 of 17367 Posts