Honda Shadow Forums banner

17581 - 17600 of 17621 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I went out too. Only for like 30 to 40 minutes. Had to stop twice and warm my hands. By the time I got back they were killing me. But I'm glad I did. Just NEED those heated gloves. I'm thinking about heated liners to wear under my leather gauntlet gloves. They're just so bad ass, and all heated gloves I've seen look like either ski gloves, or motocross gloves.

Here they are:
View attachment 292354

And my miserable storage units: View attachment 292355
:)
They sell grip wrap/sleeve heaters too.
:)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I discovered today I made a HUGE mistake with swapping my exhaust!

When I got Envy she had aftermarket pipes from Cycleworks (a good local exhaust maker), but the previous owner had drilled holes in the end caps that hold the baffles. This of course was causing some extra noise and sub-par performance.

Even more fun, they welded the caps on. I've been slowly working with a dremel to cut the welds but there are much more fun things to do in this world, and it has been taking hours to do little progress.

So since I already had the exhaust off today while replacing the clutch pushrod seal, I decided I'd put my 700's pipes on instead (both are 86s, one a 700 Californian model the other a 750 Japanese model).

I had a bonus discovery - just before I took the 700 off the road a few years ago (failed head gasket but needing a few other jobs done) I must have re-packed the baffles. I recall having the packing for one but it looks like I got both done (loose packing, not the wrap stuff)

Anyway, I fitted it all in, missing a couple of chrome bits that the new exhaust doesn't have mounting holes for but oh well, no loss. And started the bike.

I wasn't expecting the sort of noises the bike made. So much quieter and smoother!

I really wish I'd done this some months back. The bike sounds so much better.

As I've used "gasket goo" on it today, I've just warmed it up and am waiting for her to cool back down. After dinner I'll give her a run.

So, new seal, new oil, and a set of much nicer sounding pipes!

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
I discovered today I made a HUGE mistake with swapping my exhaust!

When I got Envy she had aftermarket pipes from Cycleworks (a good local exhaust maker), but the previous owner had drilled holes in the end caps that hold the baffles. This of course was causing some extra noise and sub-par performance.

Even more fun, they welded the caps on. I've been slowly working with a dremel to cut the welds but there are much more fun things to do in this world, and it has been taking hours to do little progress.

So since I already had the exhaust off today while replacing the clutch pushrod seal, I decided I'd put my 700's pipes on instead (both are 86s, one a 700 Californian model the other a 750 Japanese model).

I had a bonus discovery - just before I took the 700 off the road a few years ago (failed head gasket but needing a few other jobs done) I must have re-packed the baffles. I recall having the packing for one but it looks like I got both done (loose packing, not the wrap stuff)

Anyway, I fitted it all in, missing a couple of chrome bits that the new exhaust doesn't have mounting holes for but oh well, no loss. And started the bike.

I wasn't expecting the sort of noises the bike made. So much quieter and smoother!

I really wish I'd done this some months back. The bike sounds so much better.

As I've used "gasket goo" on it today, I've just warmed it up and am waiting for her to cool back down. After dinner I'll give her a run.

So, new seal, new oil, and a set of much nicer sounding pipes!
What was the huge mistake? Seems like all came out well in the end.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
What was the huge mistake? Seems like all came out well in the end.
Sorry, should've been clearer. In my defence I had a recently worked-on hopefully improved bike not-yet test-ridden, and doing my best for her (letting her sit some more after the first warm-up) was playing nasty tricks on what passes for my mind.

The mistake was NOT doing something with the exhaust earlier, like 6 months ago.

Took her out, maybe a little more power, definitely a nicer sound. And she just feels happier, as some reading this may know. Last week the performance was fine but something felt 'off' as if she had a crook stomach or something. Now she feels as if she's over whatever ailment and back to rights. Not sure if it was the exhaust or the leak, either way fixing what was coming out of her has helped.

·
Registered
Honda Shadow 750 ACE 1998
15 Posts
I am currently working on putting LED strips on my bike, got the frame done. Now I'm working on the fenders. Couldn't figure out how to do the rear one as its metal. I didn't trust the 3m strips that came with it, so I decided to use nail glue. I couldn't be happier they aren't going anywhere. Don't mind the wires in the pic I will be cleaning that up a bit more. i will post more when I'm done

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am currently working on putting LED strips on my bike, got the frame done. Now I'm working on the fenders. Couldn't figure out how to do the rear one as its metal. I didn't trust the 3m strips that came with it, so I decided to use nail glue. I couldn't be happier they aren't going anywhere. Don't mind the wires in the pic I will be cleaning that up a bit more. i will post more when I'm done View attachment 292450
Careful
Under-glow lights are illegal in some states, only certain colors aloud in some other states as well.
just sayin'

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I am currently working on putting LED strips on my bike, got the frame done. Now I'm working on the fenders. Couldn't figure out how to do the rear one as its metal. I didn't trust the 3m strips that came with it, so I decided to use nail glue. I couldn't be happier they aren't going anywhere. Don't mind the wires in the pic I will be cleaning that up a bit more. i will post more when I'm done View attachment 292450
Looks great when they work right (and when the bike is nice and clean :) )
I've found the "hot glue" guns surprisingly effective in cases like this (and many others).

As to what Kenstone said, check the colours etc that are legal - but you should be able to get away with using a switch independent from your normal lights. That would hopefully get you around the annoying laws.

·
Registered
Honda Shadow 750 ACE 1998
15 Posts
Looks great when they work right (and when the bike is nice and clean :) )
I've found the "hot glue" guns surprisingly effective in cases like this (and many others).

As to what Kenstone said, check the colours etc that are legal - but you should be able to get away with using a switch independent from your normal lights. That would hopefully get you around the annoying laws.
Thank you guys for pointing that out, I appreciate it. I do have a switch and they are bluetooth operated also. I live in PA and according to our laws we can even ride with them on. I printed it out and already have it on my motorcycle. which is
Pennsylvania Code
Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 43 - Lighting Equipment
4310 - Motorcycle lighting.

§ 4310. Motorcycle lighting.
Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect
the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb
running lights and light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips.
(June 29, 2006, P.L.205, No.50, eff. 60 days)

2006 Amendment. Act 50 added section 4310.

Love my state for this one.:sneaky:

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
Went for a ride out in the country. One long stretch had a wide open field on both sides. The snow drift went all the way across the road for about 30 yards. Fun ride but that was a cheek clenching moment.:p

·
Registered
17,246 Posts
Just got in from our Ride...
Called and met up with Big Dog, then rode over to see Crossbow...
Right at 100 miles,
Dennis

Crossbow decided he ain`t selling his Bike :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
It got upta 55 Sunday in Tenn Sunshine. Took the dropcloth offa the scoot, rolled er out side, fired up and took 50+ mile scoot!
Fired up OK, but was mushygushy , probably dur to low tiress, and engine a bit ruff seamin a bit hard hittin, but ok overall. On the way home I put bout a gal a new gas in - and Wowsa, within a hundred yards of station she Smoothed out and perked right up! Twas immediately noticeable - she Liked that new GAS...
Had put er up the Sunday after Thanksgiving (with 3 oz a Seafoam in the tank) and hadnt fired it up since. About 3 months and that gas , even treated, sure had lost a lotta PoP... But it looks like All's gonna be Well for the spring with a little New Gas and the tires aired up correctly...

How bout that Spring "Dragon Run" this yr? Am just right down the road from the Tenn end of the Dragon, Anybody goin this Yr?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It got upta 55 Sun in Tenn Sun. Took the dropcloth offa the scoot, rolled er out side, fired up and took 50+ mile scoot!
Fired up OK, but was mushygushty , probably dur to low tiresshy, and engine a bit ruff seamin a bit hard hittin, but ok overall. On the way home I put bout a gal aa new gas in - and Wowsa, within a hundred yards of station she Smoothed out and perked right up! Twas immediately noticeable - she Liked that new GAS...
Had put er up the Sunday afterThanksgiving (with 3 oz a Seafoam in the tank) and hadnt fired it up since. About 3 months and that gas , even treated, sure had lost a lotta Pop... But it looks like All's gonna be Well for the spring with a little New Gas and the tire aired up correctly...

How bout that Spring "Dragon Run" this yr? AM just right down the road from the Dragon, Anybody goin this Yr?
I'd love to hit the dragon this year, alas work looks like it's gonna be a pain to tear away from. It's a little bit af a road trip for me to even get there, being in Fayetteville NC, but I used to go when my uncle was still alive he had a place in Waynesville, that run Shure is a blast tho.. I may have to get fired from my job on a Friday and then get rehired on Monday, ha ha

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,738 Posts
I got ready to ride my bike to work this morning. I pushed the button, the headlight went out. I did this a couple of times and knew this battery shouldn't be bad. I happened to look at the kill switch and it was off, I turned the kill swith on and my bike fired right up. Note to self: If it appears to be a dead battery, headlight goes off and nothing else, check the kill switch first. I had a nice undisturbed ride to and from work.

·
Registered
17,246 Posts
Don`t Faint ! ! !
I wwashed her tthiss mmorning...

Yeah, a Bonafied wash and wax, with soap, wax and water...

Yeah Me, I Did,
Dennis

Then rode her to blow the water spots off of course

17581 - 17600 of 17621 Posts