Honda Shadow Forums banner

17601 - 17620 of 17621 Posts

·
Registered
17,246 Posts
Yeah @Grizzlywolf67 I`m not known for clean...
I`ll let it sit out overnight then wipe the dew off and THAT is her normal Bath...

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
Still riding it to work every day. Its a mess right now but should be warm enough this weekend for a proper bath. This time...maybe the water wont freeze on the bike as I wash it. Was looking at the long handled back brush in the shower. This is getting repurposed to scrub the underbelly of the bike this weekend. The Wife's gonna be mad. :p

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Wife's gonna be mad. :p
Know what cha mean.... an ElCheapo French Toilet Brush from Wally of your own will take care a that...

An especially good, quick & easy (allplastic/noscratches) for underbelly and spoked wheels!
Just twice a yr, a little Junk Original, quickscrub & hoseblast and ya got a ShowBike!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Wife's gonna be mad.
This is great...at some point doing oil changes, I would always get a few drips or more on the garage floor so I grabbed one of those cookie baking sheets out of our kitchen cabinet, the kind with like 1/2 inch or so sides all around it and placed it under my bike and then placed a shortened bucket on top of that to catch the oil. I just told my wife she needs new baking sheets...she was happy with that AND she's an awesome baker!

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
This is great...at some point doing oil changes, I would always get a few drips or more on the garage floor so I grabbed one of those cookie baking sheets out of our kitchen cabinet, the kind with like 1/2 inch or so sides all around it and placed it under my bike and then placed a shortened bucket on top of that to catch the oil. I just told my wife she needs new baking sheets...she was happy with that AND she's an awesome baker!
:pYears ago, while working on my old cars, I stole her turkey baster, 2 times, for brake master cylinders and automatic transmissions. She refuses to buy another one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Years ago, while working on my old cars, I stole her turkey baster, 2 times, for brake master cylinders and automatic transmissions. She refuses to buy another one.
Too funny! Reminded me of taking one of those magnifying makeup mirrors, placing on the floor of an old p/u truck so I could work up underneath the dash...took a while to get used to, I kept doing righty loosey, lefty tighty :D

·
Registered
2007 VT1100C2
206 Posts
Put on these skull grips today that I've had sitting around for months. Everything went great, but the throttle side grip wasn't very tight. It was flush with the throttle tube, but not really snug. Without the glue I could turn it on the tube. So hopefully the entire tube of gel super glue I put in will hold it firmly enough. Only time will tell.

I rode it and it seemed all good.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
Looks great and goes well with those scull levers and skeleton mirrors.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Nought on the bike.

However, I am in the slow process of making a winching system to load bikes onto my trailer. I have almost all of it, winch (plus wireless remote), ramp, a massive battery I scored very cheaply due to a lack of interest (normally this size sells for >$NZ300, I got it for $50 off an auction site where no one else bothered to bid), and wheel chock. Life has left me a little broke lately, so getting the steel to finish it hasn't been easy but I've discovered a good source of scrap steel with a few bits I can really use.

And today I finished removing the first 2 bits of channel from some of this scrap. I'll fit small wheels to the wheel-chock, and they'll run in the channel to help guide the bike up the ramp onto the trailer.

Anyone who has dropped a bike or seen someone drop an expensive bike while trying to get it onto a trailer or the back of a pickup will know why I am doing this :) Even if it costs me a good $500 to complete, if it saves just one drop it will pay for itself and then some.

I will post details and pictures when done, as well as video of the first try. I'll find a broken bike for that first run, just in case something snaps :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nought on the bike.

However, I am in the slow process of making a winching system to load bikes onto my trailer. I have almost all of it, winch (plus wireless remote), ramp, a massive battery I scored very cheaply due to a lack of interest (normally this size sells for >$NZ300, I got it for $50 off an auction site where no one else bothered to bid), and wheel chock. Life has left me a little broke lately, so getting the steel to finish it hasn't been easy but I've discovered a good source of scrap steel with a few bits I can really use.

And today I finished removing the first 2 bits of channel from some of this scrap. I'll fit small wheels to the wheel-chock, and they'll run in the channel to help guide the bike up the ramp onto the trailer.

Anyone who has dropped a bike or seen someone drop an expensive bike while trying to get it onto a trailer or the back of a pickup will know why I am doing this :) Even if it costs me a good $500 to complete, if it saves just one drop it will pay for itself and then some.

I will post details and pictures when done, as well as video of the first try. I'll find a broken bike for that first run, just in case something snaps :)
OK
You need to post build pics, even start a thread about your wheel-chock trolley.
I'm a trailer nut, have built several and I'm rigging up a new Cargo trailer right now.
Before the scenters chime in about trailer queens etc, know that I trailer 2600 miles thru snowy Mtn passes to get somewhere warm enough to ride every winter.
so there's that,

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
298 Posts
Put my new front and rear sprocket on along with my new chain.

·
Registered
1994 VT1100C Teal/White
11 Posts
-Detaching old reservoirs. Connecting new aero ones. Bleeding out any air and topping off fluid
-If I'm Feelin' Frisky Afterwards: Final mock-up of headlight bracket and install,
mock-up front turn signals and footpegs
(7/8" Clip-ons, Single Cable Throttle w Aluminum Tube, Gaiters and Controls installed over the past week)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
OK
You need to post build pics, even start a thread about your wheel-chock trolley.
I'm a trailer nut, have built several and I'm rigging up a new Cargo trailer right now.
Before the scenters chime in about trailer queens etc, know that I trailer 2600 miles thru snowy Mtn passes to get somewhere warm enough to ride every winter.
so there's that,
Yeah my bike's not a trailer queen either. I don't think I know anyone who does have such a bike.

I do know people who've crashed, and I as well as people I've known have had mechanical or other failures resulting in a breakdown that is not roadside-fixable (whether it requires parts or just special tools you don't want to cart around with you).

I'm also not fit or strong enough to load xhundred pounds of bike by myself.

And if you look up youtube for 'motorbike loading fails' you will see some scary videos of idiots and not-so-idiots failing to get the bike onto the trailer/deck without mishap. Some result in minor inconvenience, some result in major damage to the bike or injury to the person.

Me? I wanna stand back and push a button on a remote and watch the bike get loaded by electronics.

Pics of the build so far - the battery box that will power the winch (this is so anyone can use the trailer any time, without needing to rewire their car) :

Text immediately above a picture relates to that picture, text a line below a pic and at least a line above another pic might relate to the one above.

The Fatmax box was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it has thicker plastic than the alternative. I had hoped to make a box out of stainless (or get one made), but the cost is several times what I want to spend (and would've cost more than the price I paid for the trailer!).

I've been reluctant to drill holes into the box, so it only has 4 holes - two are for local winch buttons (in case the remotes fail), one for the charging socket, and one roughly the size of the lid that comes with the box when you buy it.

The two remotes that come with a cheap wireless remote kit. The gold plate goes to the 125A breaker (also main switch) and the red wire goes to the charging socket (via a fuse in that black thing on the right). Oh, the battery box also has some great camping utility, so the ciggy lighter will remain part of the kit.

Here's the almost-finished box (finished at the time). The grey think is the 27-odd kg solar batter I got for a really cheap $50NZ (they're expensive things to buy when the nearest large landmass is >500 miles away). To the right is the contactor (basically a relay that drives the winch forwards or backwards). The wires heading to the lid are where the local buttons are mounted by the carry handle. Down the bottom you can see on the left the ciggy lighter socket with the power for the 240V inverter (the big browny/gold coloured thing with the grey lead coming off it) coming from it. Just to the right of the gold bar off the positive terminal (and on the front of the battery, not the top) is the breaker that also acts as a mains switch). To the right and below the contactor you can see the voltage display, and under the mains plug is a USB charging port. The wireless rig for the remotes is under the contactor.

Finally the 150A Anderson plug for the winch. I've decided to NOT to mount this on the outside of the box. I can open the box, plug in the winch, and close (but not fasten) the lid so rain will be kept out. You can see the voltage display and the USB port under that, and also the coil of cable that goes from a car ciggy ligther socket to the charging socket. I've been using a certain type of plug on my chargers, vehicles and other stuff for a while (kinda like 2 bullet terminals in a sorta L-shaped rubber case) so I have a number of leads and the like to hook up to lighter sockets, or chargers, or bike-vehicle. Makes life simple when you can quickly get power from one point to another.

Since the last pic was taken I've fitted a 50A 'automatic' breaker, some 50A anderson connectors, and made use of the jumper cables from an old battery pack (also with an anderson connector) so I can add some boost to some cars. First time I took the box camping I had to help someone get a car started, and barely had any cabling to do so.

That's the camp site, seen from the other side of Lake Rotorangi by the Patea hydro station (yes, we can play on and wander around our power stations here). That's the car peeking out from the toilet and shower block (being next to a hydro station and being the only one there = plentiful hot water!), and the table where I had my meals (and the BBQ thing I cooked them at) is visible further right. I had other critters join me including a possum who wanted to share my dinner. I was eating under the stars, absolutely no lights, so wasn't sure what the noise was till I turned on the lamp and saw my guest. No fear of man whatsoever, but I wasn't took keen on it (possibly carrying tuberculosis or other nasties).

I won't tell you about the road out to the site. Hopefully by the end of the year (and perhaps in a few weeks) I'll get to ride my bike there and spend a night moto-camping. No tent, just a couple of tarps.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Oh, this is the trailer as of shortly after I purchased it, with my '86 750 in front as a size test. The trailer is a bit longer than the bike, though it doesn't look it here.

Now I think it's cooled enough outside that I can get back to drilling out welds. Such a boring job! (yes yes I know, I should be PUNished for these lines!)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
-Detaching old reservoirs. Connecting new aero ones. Bleeding out any air and topping off fluid
-If I'm Feelin' Frisky Afterwards: Final mock-up of headlight bracket and install,
mock-up front turn signals and footpegs
(7/8" Clip-ons, Single Cable Throttle w Aluminum Tube, Gaiters and Controls installed over the past week)
There is a nice side and a massive bloody downside to making a lot of progress..

The upside - you're getting able to see how it will look when done.

The downside - it's not done and you can't ride it yet!

Looking forward to more as it comes along.

·
Registered
1994 VT1100C Teal/White
11 Posts
Bars, Grips, Mirrors, Throttle, Controls Final Install
Headlight Mounted, Not Done Though
Those Risers Are From My 2009 Rebel 250
(Plug N Play 7/8" Swap for Anyone Looking to Do So)
That's Where I'm Mounting the GPS HUD

17601 - 17620 of 17621 Posts