Honda Shadow Forums banner

17701 - 17720 of 17799 Posts

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Headed out directly for a trip to town on Crossbow`s VTX...
I miss ny windshield,
Dennis

On second thought, I think I`ll take John`s VTX it has a windshield :D

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Yes @chevyman_ky You gotta do that...
Didn`t wash it, BUT I Rode John`s VTX to town and took the LONG WAY too,
Dennis

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,806 Posts
I got mine out to take it to work. I have been suspecting my choke is not connected properly. I think that this morning confirms it. 42 degrees it would kick and fire but wouldn't stay running like it's running out of gas. I will have to investigate further and connect my choke up properly for the cold mornings. I had to charge my battery up when I got home. I rode the radian in its place.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,806 Posts
After a oil change you have to wash bike. After washing bike you have to ride bike to help dry it. Hit this milage then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too bad you couldn't get the pic at 66 mph. Congratulations on getting them miles up there. Hopefully they will continue to climb with low to no maintenance on your bike.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Too bad you couldn't get the pic at 66 mph. Congratulations on getting them miles up there. Hopefully they will continue to climb with low to no maintenance on your bike.
Didn’t get to fast on it today. Had my 10 year old granddaughter on it. She just started riding with me Yea i hope i don’t have to spend much on maintenance. Spent more last year than all the years i had it last year. Fuel pump coils and stator. When i had all 5’s in it i just happened to be next to a 55 speed limit sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Pulled the indicator lights and harness out of the triple clamp so I could make an led turn signal indicator, switching all the turn signals to LED the single indicator would make both sides flash, pulling the bulb remedied it but no indicator, and after going fifteen miles with the blinkers on once I decided to do something about it, being too lazy to look up any solutions I thought of using a bridge rectifier a resistor to limit the current and a warm white LED, a bridge rectifier just did the same as the bulb since the socket only has two leads so I lost two of the diodes and added a ground wire, works perfectly nice and bright to get your attention so I don't look like an idiot with my blinker on for umpteen miles 🤪
I don't know how your flasher unit will like this... My first bike (Suzi TC125 - still have her but she needs work beyond my $ and tool level) had the +ve wire from the battery to ignition to flasher/blinker unit then to the INDICATOR BULB then to left/right switch then to the blinkers (front and back).

Perhaps this could work for you? Put your light between the flasher relay and the switch? Of course, that bike's wiring was much simpler, your indicator wiring might be a lot harder to fix this way.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Success, although I ruined five LEDs, because it's Chinesium tach the pointer is super glued so the face has to stay not giving me much room, but I like the color. View attachment 293096
Surface mount components are a pain even with my finest tipped iron.
Is that a pair of microshears I see on the right there? (blue-handled cutters)? Lucky! I miss mine so much. Had them for years, then a certain wonderful nephew decided to try to cut something quite a bit harder than they could manage, and snapped the blade.

Really should see if the company is still around, and buy some more!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sweet! I got mine with 39,000 last Feb. It's now 51,000. I rode a little over 12,000 miles in one year. Most people are shocked when I tell them that. You've got me beat though. I know I'm in good company around here.
I used to easily double that most years, sometimes more. Now I struggle to manage 6,000 miles! Need to get work that lets me travel more like I used to :)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My bike? Nothing. She's useless for what I'm doing right now... I mean I need to cart quite a lot of stuff from home to where I am working on another bike.

The other bike is a '83 or '84 GL1100 I've been asked to get running. I've been loving working on it too, without manual or internet (owner left me alone in the place and I didn't get his wifi details first) and having to figure things out myself.

Got though stuck carbs (butter fly valves locked) and a couple of other issues before finding the starter motor was bad.

However, I have brushes ordered and should be able to collect them this week, then I'll spend Friday working on her again, and hopefully get her running. That will indeed be a GOOD Friday, hearing that engine for the first time!.

Then it's a case of fixing the rear brakes, checking (and maybe fixing) a few other things, then testing. I've never ridden anything bigger than a 750...

This bike may also come my way, if I am somehow allowed to raise the $$$$ for it. If it does, I think one of the very first things I'll look to do is a serious brake mod. My understanding is that the front lever works only one of the front calipers, the other one done from the rear brake pedal. I am NOT comfortable with the front brakes being controlled by the rear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Is that a pair of microshears I see on the right there? (blue-handled cutters)? Lucky! I miss mine so much. Had them for years, then a certain wonderful nephew decided to try to cut something quite a bit harder than they could manage, and snapped the blade.

Really should see if the company is still around, and buy some more!
I just get the chinesium knock offs they have at my local electronics shop, I can't bring myself to buy the nice expensive ones, I know myself TOO well, I'd just end up doing what I did to that set, dove into a pile of old circuit boards scrounging components, found a gem, nice beefy 50 volt 15 amp FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER! (in my best ElectroBOOM voice)
Was cutting away the unwanted bits to get at it to desolder it and got something that wasn't soft, put two divots in both blades, can almost use it for stripping #24 awg.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Tractor seat time today insteadda the "Sunset Cruise"...

I miss my Bike,
Dennis

I don`t mind riding the VTX though

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Rain set in this evening...
But earlier Today, I took my seat to get a new cover put on, pick it up tomorrow :D
I received my tubes yesterday, tires will be here tomorrow...
My bike is in Mauk, GA,
Dennis

Tractor seat time is good @kesanders

·
Registered
719 Posts

Just pulled the trigger on an LED headlight set for $70 on Scamazon, no doubt have to make some modifications but I'm slowly going all LED after these I'll only have the speedo and the five remaining indicators, neutral, high beam, oil, temp and kickstand, I have tons of LEDs and resistors to limit the current, BUT I'm lazy 😴when it comes to things that are readily available and cheap so I'll just buy ready made LED indicators, once that's all complete I'll do a current draw with all the lights on for curiosity sake, just wish I thought to check it with all the tungsten bulbs still in it, and no I'm not switching back just to see, ONLY if I was so bored that I'd die without something to do and that was the only thing left🙂

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
When I came in shortly after noon, Ann said "Fed X just dropped off your tires at the front door"...
Then at 2, I drove to town & Got my seat back from the upholsterer ...

SO, My Baby will be sportin` New stuff,
Dennis

17701 - 17720 of 17799 Posts