Honda Shadow Forums banner

17741 - 17760 of 17799 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
424 Posts
Went for a chilly early morning Easter ride. Got in 88 miles and several new roads. I was going to ride West for a while then ? But I saw a hot air balloon landing out in a field and went to find it. Found a really curvy road looking for that balloon. Found a few more riding through the Amish farmlands. Good ride.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Brung "my Baby" Home :D
Took Crossbow`s VTX back home too...
I donr forgot howto ride mine ...
Yeah I pull in the clutch when shifting to second on mine because it`ll jump outta gear IF I don`t..
Been riding those VTXs so much lately I went and forgot to "Make Sure I`m in second with a Solid shift...
Oh well it reminded me,
Dennis

Now I can put the seat back on and get them Tires mounted ;)
Yeah, Crossbow wants me to ride his some more while he is "restricted"

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
What did I do????

I tried to start this (should've closed the top box and turned the room's lights on before taking the photo) :

Overall, she looks good. Few little bits of TLC needed here and there, and a bit of dust to clear, but in good nick - I hope.

I mounted the starter I rebuilt in another thread, and started on the other bits as I fitted things back together - like the contacts on the starter relay (this is BEFORE I cleaned it, in case any one was wondering :) ):

When I left home today, I was extra careful to make sure I remembered my riding gear. I was hoping to sneak her out for a test-ride while the owner was otherwise engaged. But the rear brakes broke my heart.

Looks like the piston cups are shot. I've brought the master cylinder home and I'll pull it to bits tomorrow after work and see how bad it is. A couple of good brake shops in my town who don't do bike brakes, yet have done a very good job the last couple of times I've taken them callipers or masters. Hopefully they can get the parts for these ones, otherwise it's Honda parts and they aren't cheap!

The worry is the bike feels 'tight' when I did eventually try to start it. My little jumper pack is limited to 50A, and wasn't interested in starting it. The bike's own battery is flat, and wasn't coming up. Even directly running across my battery wasn't enough. A weak turnover, but the wires were getting warm before the 50A breaker kicked it off (warm, not hot, definitely not smoking). Even the full jumper cables warmed up a little I think.

(This is my little jumper pack, in case any one was wondering...)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,949 Posts
Man that is some ugly corrosion. Is that from you being down under and the salty air is more concentrated under there ??? :unsure:
Hope it goes well.
Do you have a friend with a car and use the battery for jumping, then you won't run out of power.
I don't know about the Goldwing but most of these Shadow starters take about 80 amps.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Man that is some ugly corrosion. Is that from you being down under and the salty air is more concentrated under there ??? :unsure:
Hope it goes well.
Do you have a friend with a car and use the battery for jumping, then you won't run out of power.
I don't know about the Goldwing but most of these Shadow starters take about 80 amps.
It's been inside and under cover for some years, I think it's more just the brake fluid leaking into the boot, getting trapped, and like a bored puppy wrecking things while it's stuck inside.

Can't get a car to the bike, but am considering putting a memory minder on the car and pinching it's battery next time I am there. Big car, big 3 month old battery... :) But still the same jumper cables. I was thinking of making myself a cheater plate to let me get more leads on there. A couple of plates with a hole in the end to screw into the battery on the bike, and lots of room for cables. Temporary thing of course, but will let us get a jumper to the bike's battery to crank the bike over and get it started.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Absolutely nothing!!!,,,well I did look at it.

Been a couple weeks since I rode but that is gonna change soon. Have not been on here in a while, Laura's sister passed a year ago and her mom is having a hard time. So that has cut into the riding time. I also rekindled an old hobby and have been using bike time and bike money for that, worth it but I miss riding.

For those that know me I deleted my FB account. I got real tired of big brother watching me and suggesting how/what I should think.

Will be back here more now,,,y'all just thought I was gone

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Absolutely nothing!!!,,,well I did look at it.

Been a couple weeks since I rode but that is gonna change soon. Have not been on here in a while, Laura's sister passed a year ago and her mom is having a hard time. So that has cut into the riding time. I also rekindled an old hobby and have been using bike time and bike money for that, worth it but I miss riding.

For those that know me I deleted my FB account. I got real tired of big brother watching me and suggesting how/what I should think.

Will be back here more now,,,y'all just thought I was gone

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Seems I've started a flood... I come back a few weeks back, then that Crazy Old Guy comes back, now you... :) I've not long been on FB, but am quickly finding I'm sure it's not a place I want to be. Probably why I came back here, got a taste for online chatty stuff again but the price FB asks is a little steep for my tastes.

Don't worry about the old hobby.. When you ride again, that'll be forgotten moments later :)

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,582 Posts
I'm back in COVID lockdown "stay at home" here but it is beautiful out, so I headed out to the grocery store to buy coffee beans that are on special.
I went to a far away store and took the round about way to get there and gave the bike a mixed run everything from crawling stop and go to farm fields to a bit of divided highway and then back again.
Truly good fun and if anyone asked me I was on a mission for essentials. (-;
I came to the conclusion that the carbs that are jetted well for 60 F are too fat in the mid range for 82 F, so it is now in the shed to get the needle height dropped to see if that crisps it up.
I remain amazed how resilient the stock factory Honda tuning setup is when it comes to environmental changes and how easily messed up it can become when you veer from that well engineered straight and narrow path. I don't think I want to go back to that, but at the same time it is something that I seem to have lost.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
WOW!!!
I`m Glad to have Y`all ""Back""...
Beena thinking of you Eric, just the other day made the comment you been MIA...
Rain set in for a coupla days here, so my Baby might just get them tires put on,
Dennis

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
Yeah @oldguy I got some new shoes for my Baby too, BUT ain`t had good weather to change `em...
I ain`t even took time to mount my seat I got reupholstered,
Dennis
YeaH I KNOW, it`s only one bolt ;)

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Rode it! First real ride of the season. Been back and forth to work a few times, but today was fun riding.

Good to see you back @PhantomRider64 and @KiwiRider. Of course I’m not here as often as I used to be, but still pop in from time to time and try to catch up.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,806 Posts
I went riding for around 160 miles today, through some of the national forest and around part of the lake. Then I finished up with a quick trip to my Moms. My bike goes to reserve usually between 105 and 108 miles most of the time and will hold only 3 gallons usually at this point. I was wondering on the size of my tank and distance for my 2002 Spirit 1100. I researched the forum and the best I could find figured it at 4.2 gallons. That puts me at about 1.2 gallons reserve for at least another 43 miles at 36 mpg. That's good to know. I am basing my mileage at the worst of around town driving of 36 mpg. Trucking down the freeway really cruising with traffic I have gotten up to 44 mpg.

17741 - 17760 of 17799 Posts