Honda Shadow Forums banner

17861 - 17880 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Today? I rode her.

I met up with a friend at his place in Porirua, then we went across to Maidstone Park in Upper Hutt and met one or two more people.

Just one or two...

Sadly I forgot my camera, but someone else was able to help out.

ANZAC Day event, "Wellington Free Ambulance Run" - a fund raiser for the local free ambulance. Around the usual benchmark of $3,000 raised but a surprise extra $1,400 tossed in by someone (not me, wish I could!).

As you can see, one or two riders involved. Ride started at Maidstone Park in Upper Hutt, travelled down to the main road (SH2), from there to SH58 and back over towards Porirua, but followed the road around the inlet to SH1, south to Ngarunga Gorge, re-joining SH2 to Petone, then along the waterfront to Randwick, and up to the Free Ambulance depot in Waterloo, Lower Hutt. Less than 40 miles overall, but still a good ride.

I've done this ride dozens of times over the years, but usually I've ended up somewhere behind the middle of the group, usually in the last 1/4. This was the first time I was near the lead, and while there was some annoyances I did quite like being on some of the longer straights (eg the one passing Judgeford golf course or heading south on SH1 around Tawa) and seeing the bikes stretching out in the mirror as far back as the last corner a couple of miles back. Normally I only see a few of the bikes since I'm one of the last dozen to leave.

The speed was kept down on the main highway, around 50mph instead of our usual 60 (80K instead of 100). There was a group of riders who came up from behind in the fast lane and a couple of them, realising they were about to pass the leaders, suddenly braked and pulled in front of me (won't name the bikes but they had loud pipes, ape-handers, and the name kinda almost rhymes with "Hardly Able, son" - certainly that covers their riding skills!). One nearly didn't make the corner as we looped back onto SH2 at a speed less than 30mph.

Aside from that, it was a great ride, but that was only part of the joy.

One rider, parked just a few down from me, was on a 1970s model Goldwing. Not quite the same as the one I've been working on, but enough similarities that I was able to determine a couple of things like that bar across the frame above the carbs does belong to the bike, but was installed wrong (hence it's interferring with my removing the carbs!).

It also meant I learned about another local club I did not know of, and will attend their next meeting, learned of other groups I am interested in who I might get to join, if I am really lucky (I mean it, I don't have the money to even be associated with the poorest members of some of these groups, I couldn't afford the fuel for 10 minutes in some of their toys let alone actually owning the toys they do!).

Miles on the clock and new contacts in the phone. And the weather forecasters broke their promise! (the rain didn't show) A fun day indeed.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks, it's a shechter had it for a while, played a lot of shows with it, hasn't let me down, except that time I forgot to unplug it after soundcheck and the battery died before the last set..had to go passive after that.. a friend just rebuilt one of my amps, a kustom 310 for me, he's a wizard at that kinda stuff, amp sounds better than when it was new. I don't gig hardly anymore but I will do the open mic jams once in a while..did a show in tennessee once and left the hotel to eat, came back only to find 2 basses and 1 guitar had been pinched off the equipment truck..that really hurt..guess they needed them more than I did..
yes, that's how I view my one being missing... "They needed it more".. Well, how I try to view it :)

I must get my poor amp fixed if I can too.. One day I plugged a set of headphones in and was instantly glad I had not been wearing them. The headphone jack sits just in front of the main fuse, and I did not notice the retaining nut had fallen off at some time (I used to cart the amp on the back of the bike sometimes, so it may have vibrated off on the road somewhere). Suffice to say 240v AC fed back into the output circuit is not conducive to the continued functioning of the amp. Or the headphones (thankfully only cheap ones)!. Actually I should probably just send it to the recyclers, and get a new one. But I did buy it with the money from the first time I milked a herd of cows, my first ever decent pay packet.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Rain has set in for tje day, so > I`ll get my Baby back together today, Then get the rear wheel off to replace the tire...
I`l most likely go ahead and replace the worn dampeners,
I thought you'd have had enough of the rain by now, but you want to replace it with more?! (Is that what you meant by dampeners? ;) )

·
Registered
197 Posts
Today? I rode her.

I met up with a friend at his place in Porirua, then we went across to Maidstone Park in Upper Hutt and met one or two more people.

Just one or two...

Sadly I forgot my camera, but someone else was able to help out.

View attachment 293951
View attachment 293952
View attachment 293953
View attachment 293954

View attachment 293955
View attachment 293956

ANZAC Day event, "Wellington Free Ambulance Run" - a fund raiser for the local free ambulance. Around the usual benchmark of $3,000 raised but a surprise extra $1,400 tossed in by someone (not me, wish I could!).

As you can see, one or two riders involved. Ride started at Maidstone Park in Upper Hutt, travelled down to the main road (SH2), from there to SH58 and back over towards Porirua, but followed the road around the inlet to SH1, south to Ngarunga Gorge, re-joining SH2 to Petone, then along the waterfront to Randwick, and up to the Free Ambulance depot in Waterloo, Lower Hutt. Less than 40 miles overall, but still a good ride.

I've done this ride dozens of times over the years, but usually I've ended up somewhere behind the middle of the group, usually in the last 1/4. This was the first time I was near the lead, and while there was some annoyances I did quite like being on some of the longer straights (eg the one passing Judgeford golf course or heading south on SH1 around Tawa) and seeing the bikes stretching out in the mirror as far back as the last corner a couple of miles back. Normally I only see a few of the bikes since I'm one of the last dozen to leave.

The speed was kept down on the main highway, around 50mph instead of our usual 60 (80K instead of 100). There was a group of riders who came up from behind in the fast lane and a couple of them, realising they were about to pass the leaders, suddenly braked and pulled in front of me (won't name the bikes but they had loud pipes, ape-handers, and the name kinda almost rhymes with "Hardly Able, son" - certainly that covers their riding skills!). One nearly didn't make the corner as we looped back onto SH2 at a speed less than 30mph.

Aside from that, it was a great ride, but that was only part of the joy.

One rider, parked just a few down from me, was on a 1970s model Goldwing. Not quite the same as the one I've been working on, but enough similarities that I was able to determine a couple of things like that bar across the frame above the carbs does belong to the bike, but was installed wrong (hence it's interferring with my removing the carbs!).

It also meant I learned about another local club I did not know of, and will attend their next meeting, learned of other groups I am interested in who I might get to join, if I am really lucky (I mean it, I don't have the money to even be associated with the poorest members of some of these groups, I couldn't afford the fuel for 10 minutes in some of their toys let alone actually owning the toys they do!).

Miles on the clock and new contacts in the phone. And the weather forecasters broke their promise! (the rain didn't show) A fun day indeed.
Sounds like it was a blast. Wish I could have been there..ride on!

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Rode John`s to church today, filled up the tank and ready for anything...
I might get out and put my forks back together today, but we got company coming over...
It IS a GREAT Day for Riding,
Dennis

Yeah DAMNpeners @KiwiRider

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
548 Posts
Sanded and repainted my old rear fender. Still need to do the front. These will go back on when I remove the long fenders to paint them. Tank will get repainted also but still not sure if I'm staying with orange this time.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
View from front porch of church this morning, must have known that I was coming and that I was on the white Shadow.
It's clear you do not go to a proper church, and the congregation needs some serious re-education.

Those pictures of mine a little above? THAT is what it should look like outside! :)

(I'm also trying to educate a couple of congregations over these ways, in case you were wondering ;) )

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Yea-UH!!
It feels GOOD to have my Baby back together !!!
Don`t remember when, but, I started on changing the front tire one day last week ;)
New Tire, New oil in the frontend and new brake fluid in that brake too...
WHEW!!!
Dennis

Now I`m moving on to the rear tire...
No front brake pads in Americus, GA
Lets see how long I procrastinate ;)

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
I did get my bike back together today. New fork seals, dust seals, fork fluid, 1/2" longer fork spacers and I had replaced the brake rotor with a better used one since mine was cracked. I went for a short test ride. The front is much stiffer, nearly no brake dive. It seems to steer really easy.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I`m with ya @kesanders I got my Baby Back :D
I`m Happy to have a choice which Bike to take ;)
I like the VTX so much, I think I`ll start today on the rear...
It is Good to Know we have reliability in HONDA,
Dennis

I don`t like seeing my Bay in the "Hospital"

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Well ....
The neighbor called and said we need to plant late sweet corn, so we did that today...
BUT it ain`t Too Late to get started on the rear...
Thanks @oldguy for the PM on them parts,
Dennis

I CAN Procrastinate !!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Forgot my bag (very important stuff) in my work van, I really couldn't just wait till work tomorrow, so I wanted to ride but did so reluctantly (rush hour) got back home and came up with a better plan for mounting my new horns securely and without drilling holes or messing up the frame paint, it'll be a bracket that will clamp around the frame crossbar that's just above the cooling fan, only sucky bit is, have to pull the radiator, BUT☝ it's a small price for securely mounted LOUD horns.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Forgot my bag (very important stuff) in my work van, I really couldn't just wait till work tomorrow, so I wanted to ride but did so reluctantly (rush hour) got back home and came up with a better plan for mounting my new horns securely and without drilling holes or messing up the frame paint, it'll be a bracket that will clamp around the frame crossbar that's just above the cooling fan, only sucky bit is, have to pull the radiator, BUT☝ it's a small price for securely mounted LOUD horns.
Yep, love my loud horns. The only 'loud pipes' that are worth having! </troll>

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I Ordered brake pads for the front, and am talking a deal with @oldguy on shoes & dampeners...
Riding John`s Yamaha Big Bear 400 4 ATV yesterday while planting, the tierod end came apart, I tapped it back into place, it didn`t stay long...
I ordered that this morning too,
Dennis

17861 - 17880 of 17991 Posts