Honda Shadow Forums banner

17881 - 17900 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I`m really glad my fork seals are covered up...
It was a PITA to get that O-Ring over the tubes when putting it back in, BUT Worth it...
I bet you`re stopping better with that new rotor too, ain`tchya @kesanders...
I`m procrastinating again! :)
Ain`t got started on the rear other than buying parts and supplies...
Neighbor called for help,
Dennis

Going fishing tomorrow too

·
Registered
780 Posts
Some people like the fork boots on the street bikes. Pull up fork gaiters for a much broader selection.
Heh, read this and though, hey that's an idea that'd look coo... 😏oh yeah that's right I have an ACE.
I could take the fork covers off but, eh maybe if I ever have to do fork seals but I'll probably have forgotten by then🤔

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
I`m really glad my fork seals are covered up...
It was a PITA to get that O-Ring over the tubes when putting it back in, BUT Worth it...
I bet you`re stopping better with that new rotor too, ain`tchya @kesanders...
I`m procrastinating again! :)
Ain`t got started on the rear other than buying parts and supplies...
Neighbor called for help,
Dennis

Going fishing tomorrow too
So far I haven't noticed any improvement in braking but I know my pads aren't seated into the grooves just yet. It squealed a lot the first couple of days as the pads started seating. Most of all I have peace of mind that a piece of my rotor won't fly off and hit me or anyone else. I sure hope my bike holds up as good as yours has. 170,000 miles. That's as much as I have on 2 vehicles. Ride on.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Procrastinated today...
Went fishing insteadda working on my Baby,
Dennis

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just finished changing the oil and filter

I use an old developer pan (photography) no clue when or where I got them, I freak every time I drain the oil, you would think I'd know it won't overflow by now.

No safety wire yet, need to make a tab to put under a bolt to anchor the other end, so for now a jubilee clip that will hit the case if the filter vibrates or some asshat tries anything, and if it's the latter hopefully he'll slice his hand open on it👹
Then filled her up with Valvoline 4 stroke bike oil.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Well> So far, I`ve jacked/blocked her up, got the rear wheel off, mounted the tire, cleaned the crud off`n the rim, cleaned up parts, replaced brake shoes..
Made a rim strip outta the old tube too...
So, I think, that`s about all - so far,
Dennis

Thank You @oldguy

·
Registered
780 Posts
Went for a ride to my brother's place, halfway I was literally blown within a couple inches of the gravel shoulder just before leaning into a left hander at 50mph 😰 the wind gusts here right now are unbelievable, when I'm on the ace and cruising the back roadsI wear a half helmet, but I always bring my full face in case I decide to take the interstate, or bad weather or pick up a passenger of the female type (🙄 yeah like fate will ever smile on me in that respect🤨)

Switched when I left my brothers because when the wind is coming at the right angle I couldn't breath, my body said uhn uhhh! And my eyes were watering, good thing I did, on the way back I passed a few fields that were being plowed I would've been blinded by dust in my eyes.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
A man cannot have too many helmets!!
I like bith half hat and full coverage for whatever the ride may bring...
BUT when I leave the house I only have one on and no more with me...
Except for trips, I take both,
Dennis

Sun is beating down on the rear of my Baby, I quit until it cools off

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
It has been an "all day sucker" just like the Sugar Daddy!!!

It`s been a WHILE that I`ve wrenched all day, and never on just one Bike ;)
But yeah, I started early in the morning, and hadta turn on lights this evening, to see so I could pour oil...
Of course I wasn`t Steady At It, I sat here during the heat of the day, and took my time doing things...
Hadda A LONG wait as I left the tire in the sun to warm the tire so it would be more pliable too

Yes, I`m ready to RIDE on New Shoes,
Dennis

I didn`t bother clearing the drive on lift, I just went ahead & did the oil change on the floor

·
Registered
780 Posts
Took her to get new vacuum pump oil, didn't notice at some point I knocked over the pump and most of the oil leaked out in the cabinet, steel cabinet so no harm done just sopping up the oil is a pain, of course HFT didn't have any🙄
So picked up the middle of the range 12 volt air compressor, works great a bit slow eh very slow on a 15 inch car tire 0 to 35psi but shouldn't be bad for a cycle tire, had many bad reviews BUT I know what I'm buying, and as expected right in the directions it shows how your supposed to hook it up, plus knowing where it's from I oiled it up, I'll eventually dismantle it and put in some quality bearings, but for now I'll take an old spare tire and empty and fill it a couple times a day till it breaks or I get bored.
Ah I forgot, did my preflight and the front brake micro switch had gone bad so thankfully the switch has pretty much remained unchanged since at least 84 so borrowed the one from the 700👍I don't touch the rear brake if i'm just gradually slowing, eh most of you know what I mean,

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Ain`t done nothing with or to my Baby today > YET!!!
But ABATE meeting went well...
First fella asked "where`s your Bike?" I told him "Home, with new tires , oil change and dampeners = New yesterday"
SO I`m going on a "Sunset Cruise" directly,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Last couple of days, building some reinforcing brackets to make sure the top box is still with the bike when I get all the way down to Ranfurly for the "Brass Monkey" rally next month.

The material is not the stuff I wanted, but I think it will work fine. It's the only stuff the local hardware store sells in short lengths.

This is the 2nd one I made, the first being a bit rougher.

Bent to shape before final cut and weld

Welded (thanks Victor!), painted and ready for installation :

Well, almost ready for installation. I forgot I needed to widen one of the slots for the mudguard's mounting bolt, so that was done after the above photo, then a quick re-paint and later tonight or tomorrow I can continue to install.

This is about where they go, and how...

There's 2 new holes in the plate that the top box clips on to, and I'll drop bolts through those holes and into the slots in the new bracket, clamping it either side of the rack and thus adding much strength. Some months back I hit a solid wall of wind on one of our mountain passes, and could not safely get the bike out of there myself. Me and 3 other men (all manual workers, not office boys!) could not keep my bike in place, and fighting the wind we got her back to a bank where she was propped up waiting for rescue. Unfortunately the conditions were rough, and the tow operator not equipped or trained for bikes. Either he and the assisting police officer pushed against the grey luggage rack, or a rope went across it when it was tied to the truck, but either way the grey rack got broken, you can see the welds where the tow truck's maintenance guy welded it back together for me. I've only had light loads (up to around 10kg or 20lbs) in the box before the damage, but I've not trusted that piece since. Now I should be able to put more in there

Hopefully this is a waste of time anyway, but I'd rather waste time today making an unnecessary set of brackets than waste time next week trying to get someone to help me on the side of the road, or wondering how I can get my gear attached to the bike so I can keep riding.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
So far I haven't noticed any improvement in braking but I know my pads aren't seated into the grooves just yet. It squealed a lot the first couple of days as the pads started seating. Most of all I have peace of mind that a piece of my rotor won't fly off and hit me or anyone else. I sure hope my bike holds up as good as yours has. 170,000 miles. That's as much as I have on 2 vehicles. Ride on.
Y'know, some extra parking lot practice would help get them seated in real quick - especially some extra emergency braking drills! :)

(Says he who hasn't had a bike in a parking lot for weeks, unless he was parking there!)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Just finished changing the oil and filter View attachment 294097
I use an old developer pan (photography) no clue when or where I got them, I freak every time I drain the oil, you would think I'd know it won't overflow by now.
View attachment 294098
No safety wire yet, need to make a tab to put under a bolt to anchor the other end, so for now a jubilee clip that will hit the case if the filter vibrates or some asshat tries anything, and if it's the latter hopefully he'll slice his hand open on it👹
Then filled her up with Valvoline 4 stroke bike oil.
Be careful with the Valvoline (or ANY non-bike oil!).. I used to use one model of that in my bikes, but they changed the mix with little change to the label (and nothing obvious). Cost me a new clutch, and a trailerride home. But that clutch had done about 90,000 miles..

I usually use the Valvoline diesel oil now - I can get 10L of that "on special" for less $ than I can get 1L of decent motorbike oil, and I do my changes more often as well.

17881 - 17900 of 17991 Posts