Honda Shadow Forums banner

17901 - 17920 of 17991 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Be careful with the Valvoline (or ANY non-bike oil!).. I used to use one model of that in my bikes, but they changed the mix with little change to the label (and nothing obvious). Cost me a new clutch, and a trailerride home. But that clutch had done about 90,000 miles..

I usually use the Valvoline diesel oil now - I can get 10L of that "on special" for less $ than I can get 1L of decent motorbike oil, and I do my changes more often as well.

As long as it says for wet clutch I'll use it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Fitted and done. Much thanks to Coastal Fasteners who gave me some excellent service today as well, including not charging for the washers I forgot to get on my 1st trip in!

Yes, I do need to give her a good clean - and make sure the garage door is closed when I am cutting up wood.

At some time in the hopefully not-too-distant future I'll also make up a better mount for the side boxes rather than the original ones that are visible there.

I mean these things work, but they don't win any beauty awards! (Yes, I know it needs another clean!)

And why I have extra tail lights on the bike.

With the boxes back on, it does start to look a LOT better.

At least if you don't bend over and look closely at the extra stuff.

But now, I am happy to put the clothes and sleeping stuff in the side bags, and the cookware/tools any anything heavy in the top one. I'll look to improve the side box mounts some, and also maybe see if I can find a way to kinda-secure the tank bag - that'll just be used to hold the helmet when I am stopped somewhere (or there is the helmet lock, but that leaves the helmet sitting on the hot exhaust. Tank bag also gives me an option to run the tablet for GPS, though I might see if I can get the old GPS unit working again.

And no, these are not Givi boxes. Some 47L ones I got from someone on Trademe (NZ version of Ebay), with generic mounts that you need to figure out yourself. While not fussed with the Givi brand itself, I'd dearly love to have the $ to get a proper set of mounting brackets specifically built for my bike :)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,210 Posts
I put a larger bag on the tail of mine and it partially covers the brake light, which I REALLY want to be seen in traffic. So I added an LED strip on the bag itself to be very visible. Your is tucked under now also.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Got them front brake pads on and changed fluid too, yesterday was another one of those days to Wrench insteadda fish ;)

All I lack now is coolant change, then I`ll give her a Real bath with soap, water & wax,
Dennis

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,885 Posts
Be careful with the Valvoline (or ANY non-bike oil!).. I used to use one model of that in my bikes, but they changed the mix with little change to the label (and nothing obvious). Cost me a new clutch, and a trailerride home. But that clutch had done about 90,000 miles..

I usually use the Valvoline diesel oil now - I can get 10L of that "on special" for less $ than I can get 1L of decent motorbike oil, and I do my changes more often as well.
I used Valvoline oil (non-bike oil) for years. I had a slight slipping so I added Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and problem solved. I kept on riding. At 40,000 miles I decided to change the clutch discs with no real problems. To my surprise the clutches were still in spec and weren't slipping. The wrong oil doesn't ruin your clutches in my experience.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I`d been using Castrol GTX until Chickenman bought High Mileage grade for our oil change, I didn`t catch that it has a wax additive > until both our clutches started slipping...
The only time I`ve had to open mine up other than Valve clearance check,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I used Valvoline oil (non-bike oil) for years. I had a slight slipping so I added Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and problem solved. I kept on riding. At 40,000 miles I decided to change the clutch discs with no real problems. To my surprise the clutches were still in spec and weren't slipping. The wrong oil doesn't ruin your clutches in my experience.
The 'friction modifiers' can cause some issues, although I suspect that may be in the case of a clutch that is getting quite close to the end of its service life. I too managed to get away with it for a very long time, at least I never had a problem sticking car oil into the bike. But then, a 125 or 250 commuter doesn't quite have the same pull as a 750 cruiser that's ridden like a sports tourer :)

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
235 Posts
Last night finished fitting the neutral and OD switches in my VT700c
On removing the cover I managed to destroy one of the bolts, fortunately I managed to get a replacement courtesy of a nearby garage.
Replacing the switches is quite straightforward, you unplug the cables, remove the switch with a 13mm socket, put the new switch with the copper washer and snug it in place, then connect the cable, make sure you are connecting the right one to the correct switch.
using gasket seal and after cleaning the crankcase cover you just refit everything back on. tightening the bolts bit by bit so the gasket is compressed evenly.
Put everything else back and you will be done.

A final very important note: Make sure you use something to keep the clutch slave cylinder compressed. I've used a woodwork clamp, last thing you want is the cylinder to come out and spread the fluid on your floor.
Pics have been posted on other threads.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Couldn`t do nothing with my Baby today, hadda neighbor what is blind called yesterday evening with a clogged drain, so today we cut out the plumbing and replaced it...
After two hours of plunging, and shoving a snake through the pipes yesterday, we decided to attack this morning...
For most of us > the Rain SHOULD Be Gone now,
Dennis...

·
Registered
780 Posts
After borrowing the pinch bolt from the 700 and a little blue thread locker and torquing the finger tight pinch bolts, my front wheel will have more chance of staying where it's supposed to, then swapped in a new set of brake pads and flushed out the most likely nineteen year old brake fluid for some fresh.

Trying out the "SUPER BIKE" pads, figured moderately heavy cruiser, single caliper and rotor that sees some not so cruiser style riding😉 can't help it most of my bikes were dirt or sport.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
Nothing to it today, YET!
BUT going to ride directly,
Dennis

Ooops! I DID go check them "Pinch bolts" just a bit ago ;)

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
548 Posts
Installed LED headlamp bulb last night... Wow! what a difference. Much brighter/whiter than original H4 incandescent. Did have to adjust it downwards just a tad, but a real improvement. It draws just 1 Amp as opposed to the H4's 4 Amps.
What bulb did you buy?

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
78 Posts
It's an: Auxito H4 9003 HB2 LED Bulb... kind of a mouthful. Attached picture of the e-Bay auction. Shipped very quickly from Seller in Rowland Heights, CA. Time will tell how it holds up, keeping the original bulb as a spare in one of the saddlebags just in case, but man is it bright!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,699 Posts
Trying out the "SUPER BIKE" pads, figured moderately heavy cruiser, single caliper and rotor that sees some not so cruiser style riding😉 can't help it most of my bikes were dirt or sport.
I use those pads on the front of mine and am quite happy with the improvement in both performance and longevity.
Mine faces some not so cruiser riding too.

17901 - 17920 of 17991 Posts