Honda Shadow Forums banner

18081 - 18100 of 18140 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Shadow VT1100t, '16 FJR1300
51 Posts
Put my license plate validation sticker on.
It arrived in the mail today, noticed last Friday during my check over prior to the weekend. I had been riding for a couple of months without it and not noticed!
Renewed it online and got a piece of paper granting me a two week extension to show to the police if pulled over, but decided not to ride it until I got the sticker.
I thought riding on the Victoria Day Weekend* (Two Four Weekend) with an expired sticker was like wearing a "kick me" sign on Muscle Beach.

* Victoria Day is a Canadian national holiday, traditionally complete with fireworks and pre-COVID drunken gatherings and camping.
FYI (and I know this information is a little late to you now).. but in Ontario, expired plate stickers are valid indefinitely. You are not required at this time to renew them, due to COVID 19. That being said, you still can (online as you did), its just not required. They wouldnt have been able to 'kick you' with the expired plate sticker... They would have found other reasons.. LOL

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,792 Posts
Yeah, but "Police departments are not allowed to ticket anyone for having an expired sticker." They are free to use it as criteria to pull you over.
Based on my earliest memories of riding on the road, I have to agree they can always find other reasons to ticket.
So it's always good to be nice and polite to them unless you are a lawyer. Something the teenage me had to learn.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
I moved my baby outta the sun...
Was just gonna push it, BUT I strapped on the helmet and took off down the driveway, headed out for a ride...
It`s a quarter mile long...
Turned around at the road and parked in the shade for her to cool down...
I realized the seat and tank were so hot it was uncomfortable...

I`ll go out in a bit and go for a ride,
Dennis

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,985 Posts
I went for about a 40 mile ride today. I found out my Spirit must have a very small tank. I was on reserve at 100 miles so I figured I had another 30 until empty. I got about 12 miles down the road and it dropped dead as I coasted into a gas station. It held 3.58 gallons. I thought I had at least 4 gallons on the tank. I averaged only 31 mpg on that tank. That exponential wind drag over 55, 65 or ??, really makes the fuel go bye bye really quickly.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
Yea 65 4 door hardtop. Eving orchid color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was there once, BUT that 65 wasn`t ;)

I love that area,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I went for about a 40 mile ride today. I found out my Spirit must have a very small tank. I was on reserve at 100 miles so I figured I had another 30 until empty. I got about 12 miles down the road and it dropped dead as I coasted into a gas station. It held 3.58 gallons. I thought I had at least 4 gallons on the tank. I averaged only 31 mpg on that tank. That exponential wind drag over 55, 65 or ??, really makes the fuel go bye bye really quickly.
Just curious, have you been into the carbs lately? When mine started dropping mileage, I eventually found a carb diaphragm with 2 splits in it... Mileage is back up now. In hindsight, I suspect it had been getting progressively worse over the last year or two, just so slowly you don't notice the change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Answered my own question..
You can find 2000 on up to 80 grit paper at most auto parts shops, look in the paint and body section.. the bigger the number the smaller the grit size, the smaller the grit the less cut it has so you may have to sand longer, and definitely " wet" sanding makes it smoother..if you have a lot of pits and scratches like I did you have to get those out or they will show up in the final product.. if it's in good shape overall you just want to " rough" up the surface so the paint will have something to hold on to.. good luck, and post some pics of the finished job.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,985 Posts
Just curious, have you been into the carbs lately? When mine started dropping mileage, I eventually found a carb diaphragm with 2 splits in it... Mileage is back up now. In hindsight, I suspect it had been getting progressively worse over the last year or two, just so slowly you don't notice the change.
I'll double check my mileage on my next ride at a slower pace. Around town I constantly get 36 mpg. On the freeway I usually get up to 45 mpg. My spirited ride the other day was a bit more than normal. Thanks for the heads up on the diaphragms. If my mileage is unusually low again I'll check those.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'll double check my mileage on my next ride at a slower pace. Around town I constantly get 36 mpg. On the freeway I usually get up to 45 mpg. My spirited ride the other day was a bit more than normal. Thanks for the heads up on the diaphragms. If my mileage is unusually low again I'll check those.
If you've got carb sync gauges, it's obvious if you check it at different rpms, Mine were synced at idle, but way off at cruise rpm, 2 new diaphragms and it's matched at all rpms.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
Finally got the lift cleared off (it had become a Catch All Table)
AND Pulled my Baby up onto it, so I can change coolant...
I love that Spray on Chain Lube, I did that once I got her up on the lift too...

Too easy,
Dennis

Gonna check the manual for a refresher course on coolant change

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
So today I located that oil leak I had disCUSSED a few weeks ago...
Yes, my Baby has a leak at the waterpump O ring...
I just looked at the manual to see about this leak cure and see that HONDA suggests pulling the engine to pull the waterpump???
WOW!!
I sometimes despise engineers,
Dennis

I`ll give tightening thewaterpump fastening bolts a try first

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
659 Posts
I gave my brakes a good - hard stop - workout. On my ride to work this morning, around 4am, what appears in front of me - across the whole road? 6 young deer just standing there. I grabbed a whole bunch of brake and almost hit one with my front tire before he danced off to my right. 5 of them did a crazy little dance before running off to my left. Still rolling about 10mph, that one on my right just kept pace with me while jumping in front, to the side, in front, to the side, then finally he bolted off to the left - right in front of me - to go join his friends. I really wanted to punch that one right in the head !

18081 - 18100 of 18140 Posts