Honda Shadow Forums banner

18121 - 18140 of 18140 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
659 Posts
It's cool that you have the talent/skill to do this, hope you post a pic or two when ready
Ha Ha Ha, there's no "talent" to mocking up an idea. I will be asking my daughter for her help when it comes to sewing a real cover, if I take it that far. So far, this is what I have.
The scrap foam that I used.

The rough shaped foam covered with the repurposed leggings.

Now pretend this has 2 Bungie cords wrapped around the seat to hold it in place while you go for a test ride.

So, not a lot of talent to do this, just a wanting to see if I could make something. Don't be intimidated to try something when you have an idea. I could easily buy an adjustable-inflatable seat pad with straps and a pump for 40 to 50 bucks but I often find what I'm looking for and wonder if I could MAKE my own. You never know if ya don't try.:p

·
Registered
'98 Shadow VT1100t, '16 FJR1300
51 Posts
I was wearing my 3-1 Jacket with everything detached, so its just a mesh jacket with protection.. my arms were fine. I had on my mesh riding pants (that have protection) but the HEAT from the engine was way too much. Next time I'll try just wearing my riding jeans and see if that helps the heat on my leg.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could jus say got the bike inspected but that's boring sooooo....

Beautiful day here today! Rode to work, took her out to lunch and surprised her with a stop by a bike shop for inspection. She passed without issue and got a pretty new plate inspection sticker. Nice to get a midday ride in and looking forward to a cruise home, I love smelling the backyard BBQs in the evening!

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
269 Posts
Not to the bike per say but bike related :)

End of May I went camping with the trailer (see my other thread)

During the trip the original hinges suffered a total failure and now have to be replaced.
The original were from the mould topbox used in cars.

After trying a pair of marine hinges I realised that nothing in the market would work as they need to have a space between the plates when closed.
So, to the drawing board and started some Portuguese engineering :cool:
Raw materials are:
35X2mm bar
Ø6mm rod
Ø10mm tube with 2mm wall

This is one of the sides of the first hinge and the axle

One of the sides with axle in place

Complete hinge rear view

First hinge with gap on close position

First hinge from the inside.

Work to be done, is just fixing the axle and making the holes for the bolts. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I got home from work and pulled out the flasher on my 1999 Honda Shadow Ace 1100T. I have no brake lights or turn signals but I drove it home this last weekend. Not making too much progress while I wait for a new rear tire to show up. Feel I got somewhat screwed at $2500 for the bike but it seems in solid shape yet. Plan on tracing wires back when it's not so god awful hot outside I want to claw my face off!

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,985 Posts
Today I got home from work and pulled out the flasher on my 1999 Honda Shadow Ace 1100T. I have no brake lights or turn signals but I drove it home this last weekend. Not making too much progress while I wait for a new rear tire to show up. Feel I got somewhat screwed at $2500 for the bike but it seems in solid shape yet. Plan on tracing wires back when it's not so god awful hot outside I want to claw my face off!
See if your horn works. On my 2002 Spirit the fuse for the blinkers, brake lights and horn are all tied together. If it blows all that is gone. On my bike it is either the 2nd or 3rd fuse from the back of the bike.

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
142 Posts
Added a second holder and fuel bottle then took it for a short ride. Came home to an update that my friend lost her eye and Dr's removed it today. Feel so horrible and saddened for her.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,792 Posts
I can't really put "Like" for your post although I do like the added water bottle, a smart move staying hydrated.
I'm sorry to here about your friend, she is going to need your friendship dealing with that.
It is amazing how people can adapt to one eye and the loss of depth perception, don't let her get too depressed.
My mother lost sight in one eye at 22 years old and said it was hard dealing initially with the blind side and people suddenly appearing, but unless you stared at her eyes and noticed they were not in sync, you would not know and she obtained a drivers license in both the UK and Canada and had a very active life.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here are the pictures. For $15 I can't complain. I do like how they stick out just a tad more than the stock ones which should give me 100% mirror usage. Test ride later!
Having mirrors setup like that would drive me nuts.
For me, the top edge of the mirror needs to be level when going down the road, not sloped up like you have them.
Although the bars being turned in the pics may create that elusion.
I know, I'm anal...
jmo

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
Where have I been??? I ain`t gotta comment on this page ;)

I been watching my oil leak to see how much it is leaking....
A drip now & then ain`t bad I don`t reckon...
BUT I don`t hafta like it,
Dennis

I ain`t pulling the motor just for that!

Ready to Plant

EDIT> I don`t remember what my mirrors came off of, BUT a LOT Better`n them tallass "Lollipops"

·
Registered
185 Posts
For me, the top edge of the mirror needs to be level when going down the road, not sloped up like you have them.
I know, I'm anal...
jmo
@JK28 The black looks real good on your bike!

Kenstone - I never thought of that but I think it would drive me nuts too...good thing my mirrors are round ;)

·
Registered
'98 Shadow VT1100t, '16 FJR1300
51 Posts
I know, I'm anal...
jmo
They are more level than the picture makes them. As long as I can see out of them, it doesnt bother me if they are little 'off'

The ultimate test of mirrors is vibration.
At 120 km/h can you tell what brand of car is following you?
That will be the ultimate test! Pending results!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here are the pictures. For $15 I can't complain. I do like how they stick out just a tad more than the stock ones which should give me 100% mirror usage. Test ride later!
Could you post a link to those black mirrors, I'm thinking black mirrors would fade into the back round were as chrome stand out like ugly flags/mailboxes.
I would like to try a set and would not be a big loss at that price if I didn't like them.
just askin',
:D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Went shopping for new clothes for my new job, came home for lunch and to disgorge my saddlebags, good thing I did, sitting digesting my beef and bean burritos, starts getting dark outside, check my weather radar app, a bunch of storms popped up, ran out and put the bike away, bugger!
I prefer to not ride in the rain if I can help it.
I'll ride in temperatures that will freeze freeze your nipples off (part of the reason I want fuel injection, shadows are a PITA to change jets, my CB750 I could change with them still on the bike)

18121 - 18140 of 18140 Posts